Help identifying pitting in wheel hub

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
xlifes

Help identifying pitting in wheel hub

Post by xlifes »

Hello, I'm refurbishing an old bike and I need help to know whether I need to replace the wheel hubs or not.
I know they should be replaced if they are pitted in the races.

But what about the part on top of the race? does it matter if there's pitting there?
I've added a photo to help explain which area I mean.

Can you tell me if what I can see there is pitting and if it means I need to replace the hub?

Thank you!
Attachments
IMG_8727.JPG
IMG_8730.JPG
IMG_8731.JPG
IMG_8732.JPG
ElCani

Re: Help identifying pitting in wheel hub

Post by ElCani »

It’s a little bit hard to see (some of the stains could be pits) but they look good to me. Run a ballpoint pen around the line where the balls run and you’ll be able to feel any pitting.

Either way, they don’t look scrap-worthy by any means.
xlifes

Post by xlifes »

Thanks Elcani!

In one of the races there's definitely two circular dent marks, seen in the first photo below.

But i'm also curious as to whether the area marked with the pen on the second photo should also be pit free?
Attachments
IMG_8730 2.jpg
IMG_8726.JPG
mig

Post by mig »

the races look okay to me.

no need to be "pit free" in the area indicated by the ballpoint pen. the ball bearings don't run there.
xlifes

Post by xlifes »

Thank you both! glad to hear! :)
531colin

Post by 531colin »

Here viewtopic.php?f=5&t=145114&p=1595684#p1595684 there are some photos of wear; on cones, as it happens, but you can clearly see how the case hardening is worn through. Where the case hardening is intact, there is also a quite clear wear track where the ball bearings run.

I don't think your marks (red circle) are ball bearing wear at all; in fact, I think there is very little wear on those hubs. The marks may come from the bearing cups being pressed into shape or pressed into the hub. The bearing cups are steel, quite crudely stamped out, which causes the rough edges. I guess they are then pressed into the right shape before being hardened and pressed into the hub.

You didn't ask this, but I think there are problems with the wheelbuild. On the hub with clean flanges, I can clearly see that the spoke heads are maybe half a millimetre away from the hub flange....they should be pulled tight against the hub flange by spoke tension. I think there are 2 things wrong with this wheel; firstly, the spokes are very slack, and secondly the "J bend" length of the spokes is too long....the head and shaft of the spoke should be tight up against either side of the hub flange.
xlifes

Post by xlifes »

Thanks Colin! I appreciate the feedback on the wheels in general :)
The spokes are definitely very loose! They'll have to be tighten properly, and I hope that will bring the spoke heads flush with the hub flange.
ClappedOut

Post by ClappedOut »

Ride on with fresh grease and bearings
drossall

Post by drossall »

What's the hub? You can replace older Campagnolo cups (or get it done for you).
Last edited by drossall on 7 May 2021, 1:28pm, edited 1 time in total.
rogerzilla

Post by rogerzilla »

I looked into replacing the cups on a Campag track hub and it was uneconomic. I bought a better example instead. It's also not an easy job; the hub really needs to be built into a wheel to relax the press fit a bit, and they can take some getting out.
drossall

Post by drossall »

Not really - see my photos in the other thread. The wheel was immaterial - could have been done just as easily with just a hub. Don't think the spare cups cost much either - the tool was an investment though. Or I've previously had it done at Baker's Bikes in Bishops Stortford.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

mig wrote: 6 May 2021, 1:00pm the races look okay to me.

no need to be "pit free" in the area indicated by the ballpoint pen. the ball bearings don't run there.
yes I well remember looking in that spot and being appalled that terrible damage appeared to have been inflicted on a hub where I wouldn't have expected it - then realising that when the cones were well inserted the balls were lower in the race than that run.
Sweep