Lateral Wheel Movement

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
sputnik

Lateral Wheel Movement

Post by sputnik »

I felt like my road bike had a bit of a rattle and eventually I've noticed that both wheels have a bit of lateral movement. I can wobble the wheel very slightly side to side and as I do there's a bit of a thunk. Everything else seems fine and other than feeling the rattle the bike cycles absolutely fine. it's probably been going on 3 or 4 weeks.
Having had a Google I see lots of advice that it might need bearings tightened (or something similar bearing related) which is probably beyond my abilities. I'll try and get the bike booked in to be looked at (it was only serviced a couple of months ago) but in the meantime, is it potentially unsafe to ride? I rely on it for commuting. It's 5 odd years old, it's been serviced most years by a bike mechanic and has never had either wheel replaced.
geomannie

Re: Lateral Wheel Movement

Post by geomannie »

I think that it's probably fine to ride, but I would also make sure that the outer hub lock nuts are tight. If the hubs are loose a couple months after servicing its possible that the nuts were not properly tightened by the mechanic.

If the nuts are tight and the hub is just a bit loose, I don't think dangerous, but without seeing its impossible to be definitive.
geomannie
sputnik

Post by sputnik »

That's fine. I've it booked in next week to get looked at, just need to ride it another few days. It seems fine, just wanted a bit of confidence that it wasn't a case of definitely don't ride it :D
mjr

Post by mjr »

Worst probable case, it'll trash the bearings and they'll need replacement, but on a modern road bike, it shouldn't wreck more. If the back is really bad, maybe avoid bottom gear to reduce risk of the derailleur hitting a spoke.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
rogerzilla

Post by rogerzilla »

Sturmey-Archer internally-geared hubs are supposed to have infinitesmal play in the cones when adjusted correctly!
mjr

Post by mjr »

rogerzilla wrote: 6 May 2021, 9:52pm Sturmey-Archer internally-geared hubs are supposed to have infinitesmal play in the cones when adjusted correctly!
Aye but I doubt the OP's road bike has such a hub.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
richardfm

Post by richardfm »

rogerzilla wrote: 6 May 2021, 9:52pm Sturmey-Archer internally-geared hubs are supposed to have infinitesmal play in the cones when adjusted correctly!

How do you measure infinitesimal play when adjusting the cones?
Richard M
Cardiff
mjr

Post by mjr »

richardfm wrote: 6 May 2021, 10:31pm

With an infinitesimeter!
rogerzilla

Post by rogerzilla »

richardfm wrote: 6 May 2021, 10:31pm

Barely-detectable rock at the wheel rim. If you can see the wheel move, it's too much. When out of the frame, less play than you would leave in a QR wheel.