New bike, oil chain for 1st ride?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Stevek76

Re: New bike, oil chain for 1st ride?

Post by Stevek76 »

Wet lubes applied to the outside at room temp have to be thinner to get to the inside properly. In 'dry' lubes the liquid is just solvents/carriers for the solid/dry lubricant (i.e. teflon, wax, whatever).

Regarding KMCs advice to not fully degrease, I'd take that to mean a light degrease of the outside but don't soak it for hours (unless you're prepared to soak it for further hours to get something else in.
The contents of this post, unless otherwise stated, are opinions of the author and may actually be complete codswallop
VinceLedge

Post by VinceLedge »

Oh well I put a bit of lube on the chain and rode it!
Didnt take long to get black looking :lol:
mjr

Post by mjr »

freeflow wrote: 7 May 2021, 10:35am Sticky wax is a symptom of liquid wax or insufficiently cleaned chain before hot waxing. My hot waxed chains are perfectly clean to the touch and dry., even after several 100km of riding.
Or it can mean that you ride in a silty area, where a wax will last about 20km on a good day before becoming contaminated and shedding, leaving your chain squeaky and exposed.
Steve O'C wrote: 6 May 2021, 10:47pm To misquote Newtons third law of motion, for every opinion on chain lubrication there is an opposite view that is held equally strongly by another body of opinion.
Amen. My view is that the best things you can do to preserve a chain are install a chain guard and a front mud flap to reduce the amount of crud reaching it.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
markjohnobrien

Post by markjohnobrien »

mjr wrote: 7 May 2021, 4:34pm
freeflow wrote: 7 May 2021, 10:35am Sticky wax is a symptom of liquid wax or insufficiently cleaned chain before hot waxing. My hot waxed chains are perfectly clean to the touch and dry., even after several 100km of riding.
Or it can mean that you ride in a silty area, where a wax will last about 20km on a good day before becoming contaminated and shedding, leaving your chain squeaky and exposed.
Steve O'C wrote: 6 May 2021, 10:47pm To misquote Newtons third law of motion, for every opinion on chain lubrication there is an opposite view that is held equally strongly by another body of opinion.
Amen. My view is that the best things you can do to preserve a chain are install a chain guard and a front mud flap to reduce the amount of crud reaching it.
Definitely agree on mudguard and mud flap to reduce dirt on chain.
Raleigh Randonneur 708 (Magura hydraulic brakes); Blue Raleigh Randonneur 708 dynamo; Pearson Compass 631 tourer; Dawes One Down 631 dynamo winter bike;Raleigh Travelogue 708 tourer dynamo; Kona Sutra; Trek 920 disc Sram Force.
freeflow

Post by freeflow »

I use longboard mudflaps with extralong 'Raw' flap before and after switching to Hot wax lube. I've been using hot wax lube since last August (new bike, to replace stolen bike) which has a single speed chainline due to gears in a can. I'm rotating (ho ho) two chains( KMC EPT coated e1 chains). Thus far I've only covered 3500km due to winter and Covid restrictions. I still can't get the pins of a Parktools cc-2 chain checker to fit between the links of my chains. Previously, with a set of rotated 10 speed chains, I'd was down to at least 0.25% wear after 500km per chain (using regularly applied Purple extreme).

Mrs F bought an electric bike around the same time as I got my new bike. I hot waxed the chain on her bike which is 2x10speed. The chain is showing similar signs of longevity and reduced wear.

I've also previously tried riding on the manufacturers lube (using 3x10) but gave up on that as I found my chains started squeaking after about only 100km riding.

I have previously found 10 speed sram 1051 chains with more than 0.75% wear after less than 1000km riding using finish line ceramic lube.

So IMHO, the hot wax lube is winning hands down.
VinceLedge

Post by VinceLedge »

The new bike has mudguards fitted, one reason I chose it!
531colin

Post by 531colin »

Sweep wrote: 7 May 2021, 12:05pm
531colin wrote: 6 May 2021, 5:31pm I think the greasy stuff on a new chain is to stop it going rusty rather than being a lubricant.
I would give it some chain oil, sparingly.
yep this is my idea after following the dictum for a while/few years that the factory gunk is the best stuff that a chain will ever have on it and so you should just ride on that for a few 100km. I found that things ran smoother with some more traditional lube - these days I tend to lube a new chain and then soon afterwards clean it off, including the factory stuff, and relubing.

After various adventures with "clever" stuff my favoured lube is now this

https://road.cc/content/review/133426-w ... cant-100ml

(am no roadie despite that link)

cheap compared to many and can sometimes be bought in a litre.
Are you bathing in it?.... :shock:
My 120ml bottle of Finish Line Wet still has some in it, I bought it before I retired, which is 9 years next month.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

531colin wrote: 8 May 2021, 1:23pm

Are you bathing in it?.... :shock:
My 120ml bottle of Finish Line Wet still has some in it, I bought it before I retired, which is 9 years next month.
Fear not colin,plenty of my litre left, though following brucey's idea that fairly frequent use of liquidy stuff might help to shift debris, i oil more than I used to.
I just resent paying over the odds for stuff repackaged into tiddly bottles (tight northerner here) and i think i paid under a tenner for my litre.
I don't think it goes off does it?
I don't drink it so assume its flavour is as good as when harvested.
Sweep