Alternatives to Marathon Supreme tyres

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
simonhill

Re: Alternatives to Marathon Supreme tyres

Post by simonhill »

Nosmarbaj: £87:99?

The price of the tyres on the Starbikes website is €31.85. X2 = 64ish, plus 20% VAT =77 ish.

That's £67.

Was it £20 p&p?

(Only rough calculations done while in bed drinking morning cuppa.)
nosmarbaj

Post by nosmarbaj »

simonhill wrote: 8 May 2021, 8:07am Nosmarbaj: £87:99?

The price of the tyres on the Starbikes website is €31.85. X2 = 64ish, plus 20% VAT =77 ish.

That's £67.

Was it £20 p&p?

(Only rough calculations done while in bed drinking morning cuppa.)
Tyres €31.01 x 2 = €62.02
Delivery €18.91
(a) Tax 20% = €16.18
Total €97.11.
(b) Exchange rate 1 GBP = 1.1037 EUR (PayPal)
So Sterling total £87.99

(a) Foreign suppliers have to collect UK taxes - seems a bit illogical, but that's how it is. I guess the shipping charge includes a payment for the admin involved.
(b) Not a great rate, I know. I might or might not have got a better rate by paying direct by credit card, but sometimes life is just too short to worry!
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Thanks Nosmarbaj, it's interesting how it all adds up.

I ride 26" and these (appear to be) still available in the UK. A bit more expensive from Spa than Starbikes, but a lot cheaper without the extras.

Anyway, you've got nice new tyres and as you say, why worry. What's a few pints (I mean pounds) if you're happy and well shod.
on6702

Post by on6702 »

This is a rather timely thread as I have just purchased a pair of 700cx35 marathon supremes from Spa for £39 each with free UK postage to replace some 5 year old supremes that still have tread but are showing quite a few micro cracks. I'll be having a multi-day tour in the summer and didn't want to risk having problems. I was also shocked at how expensive new supremes were and tyre prices in general, it seems that prices have risen considerably.

I like the combination of the low weight, low rolling resistance and reasonable puncture protection of the supremes but they are now about twice the price of the GreenGuard versions and the RRP is crazy, more than my premium all-season car tyres!

The appearance of these cracks in the supremes is a bit concerning and I wonder if they are particularly prone to it or whether most tyres just have a limited life of 5 years or so, before the compound starts to perish. Anyway, I suppose one can't really complain too much as a 5 year lifespan doesn't seem unreasonable.

As an alternatives, I know that a while back there were many posts and fans on this forum for the Vittoria voyager hyper tyres which are light and have very low rolling resistance but I don't know if they are still available.

Oliver
nosmarbaj

Post by nosmarbaj »

on6702 wrote: 8 May 2021, 10:59pm The appearance of these cracks in the supremes is a bit concerning
Indeed - as I said in my OP that is why I wanted to replace the tyres. I have other bikes with even older tyres without similar cracks. They would maybe have put me off buying Supremes again, but they apparently are made of a different compound now ("One Star"). Of course this may just be marketing hype.
SimonCelsa

Post by SimonCelsa »

I bought and fitted to my commuter a pair of 'Schwalbe Marathon Original GreenGuard Rigid Road City Tyre' 700 x 32 in August of last year. Good deal from Wiggle - only £16 each. They were replaced by studded tyres for the period December through March and hence have only seen approx 6 months usage and circa 1800 miles.

I was disappointed to note several areas of sidewall cracking a couple of weeks ago on the front tyre, the rear seems OK.

marathon32.jpg

The bike is stored in a dry shed overnight and in sheltered works bike racks during the day. The commute is maximum 10 miles per day on reasonable roads. I do not recall cycling through any chemical or diesel spillages. Although I do not check the tyres pressures with a gauge that often they have always been kept firm and around 70 psi more or less.

I fitted these 32mm tyres to rather narrow 13mm rims, maybe this hasn't helped. Also, I was running a bottle dynamo on the front for the darker months, however when I refitted the tyres after the winter period I am not sure whether I swapped the front with the back or not.

Makes the below quote sound like a load of old bull!!
"Anti-Ageing". The completely new sidewall construction can withstand for much longer the typical cracking resulting from overloading due to insufficient inflation pressure. Also the new Endurance Compound substantially increases durability.
Ho Hum, just glad they weren't £40 each!!
Northern_Monkey

Post by Northern_Monkey »

Similar topic, so decided to revive it rather than create a brand new one as I’m also looking for a Marathon Supreme alternative.

Trying to find a replacement for my current Marathon Deluxe tyres which in turn replaced a set of Duremes that are sorely missed. I seem to get ~3 years out of them, so Scwalbe have always discontinued them when I need a new set…

For a 700c 35mm tyred commuter bike that does get used for longer day trips on rough roads or canal paths occasionally. I found Marathon green-guard a bit to slippy in the rain or in icy weather.

The Supreme seems to be the current option available, but it is a bit too light potentially. Any suggestions on a decent alternative that is both durable and grippy?
PH

Post by PH »

Northern_Monkey wrote: 7 Aug 2021, 5:37pm The Supreme seems to be the current option available, but it is a bit too light potentially. Any suggestions on a decent alternative that is both durable and grippy?
I think you might be wrong about the lightness of the Supreme being an issue, I ride them on general touring routes, with a bit of everything, occasionally rougher than I would have chosen and they're fine. Marathon Racers look a little sturdier, though I'm not sure they are, they used to be my tyre of choice, but prefer the Supreme. Available in 35mm, though mine have always been a little undersized.
Northern_Monkey

@PH - Interesting, good to hear you do rate them. Guessing most of the weight is saved via the Kevlar beads and sidewalls then, which I’ve actually never had a problem with.

Might try one out then as hopefully they will still be available the next time around etc.
Syd

Post by Syd »

I’m using Continental Contact Plus on one on my bikes as a Marathon replacement and they have been very good.
rotavator

Post by rotavator »

Northern_Monkey wrote: 7 Aug 2021, 5:37pm

The Supreme seems to be the current option available, but it is a bit too light potentially. Any suggestions on a decent alternative that is both durable and grippy?
I find the Supremes are fine on most surfaces apart from wet mud. They are fine on unmetalled forestry roads.
Northern_Monkey

Thanks for the suggestions, will have a gander at the Continental ones as well. 👍
pq

Post by pq »

I like Marathon Racer for the sort of riding you describe - I sometimes go lighter but never heavier. No idea about current availability or price though.
One link to your website is enough. G