Need help setting up new bike

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Carey M

Need help setting up new bike

Post by Carey M »

I have bought a scott addict 30, my first bike since I was a kid. I have some questions regarding the set-up process that I would appreciate some help with.

My stem (I think that's what it's called) is the syncros rr2.0. The clamp part is identified as needing a T25 socket and that it should be tightened to a max of 6nm but the top plate part has no identification. Does this mean that I can tighten it to any torque? And what about the tool I need for the top plate? I don't want to waste money on tools that I don't need. Does anyone know what tool I need for the top plate on a syncros rr2.0? Is it just a standard allen key? The screw is too small for me to look at clearly.

On my seat post it says that it should be tightened with T25 and 5nm. Unlike the top plate on the stem the 5nm on the seat post is not said to be a maximum value. Should I tighten it to 5nm exactly or leave room?

Which torque wrench should I get?

Thank you for any help. I may follow up with more questions.
slowster

Re: Need help setting up new bike

Post by slowster »

Carey M wrote: 7 May 2021, 11:13am the top plate part has no identification. Does this mean that I can tighten it to any torque?
No.

Read this article/watch the video:

https://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-he ... threadless
Valbrona

Post by Valbrona »

T = Torx.

Torx is star-shaped as opposed to the hex shape more commonly found on fixings.

Over-tightening runs risk of damaging parts, hence the torque settings.
I should coco.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Welcome.

There's a good recent discussion of torque wrenches in the archives:
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=139065

Here's the one that I use and recommend, and I was relieved when it came out OK in that discussion.

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/lifeline-essen ... ench-set-1

It appears under various names and at quite a wide range of prices.

Jonathan

PS: Watch out for units of measure... there are several around, and consequent mishaps are not unusual. You're quoting Newton metres, which is sensible. But that should be abbreviated N m, rather than nm.

Last edited by Jdsk on 7 May 2021, 2:53pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Carey M wrote: 7 May 2021, 11:13amMy stem (I think that's what it's called) is the syncros rr2.0. The clamp part is identified as needing a T25 socket and that it should be tightened to a max of 6nm but the top plate part has no identification. Does this mean that I can tighten it to any torque? And what about the tool I need for the top plate? I don't want to waste money on tools that I don't need. Does anyone know what tool I need for the top plate on a syncros rr2.0? Is it just a standard allen key? The screw is too small for me to look at clearly.
T25 is as described, and there's a suitable bit in that torque wrench set above.

Can you add a photo of what you're describing?

Is the clamp all metal?

Jonathan

PS: I recently discovered that I was way off the acceptable torque for the saddle bolt that goes up into the clamp. I had a saddle that wouldn't stay put and Brucey talked me through the solution. I'll try and find the thread (!) .

Got it:
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=140859
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=137169
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=142752
gregoryoftours

Post by gregoryoftours »

A photo of all the parts you are talking about would help. The top plate sounds like you mean the headset top cap which is used to pre load the headset bearings. That bolt needs to put just enough pressure on the steering bearings that they are not loose and rattling but not damaged through over tightening. This bolt is normally a 5mm allen bolt so it's a little confusing to hear that it's too small to see what it is. Sometimes the bolt head is covered by a small rubber bung.

You can quite easily damage your bike/bearings over/undertightening bolts, for example the bolt in the top plate, if that is indeed the headset top cap, needs only light torque, but needs to be adjusted in correct order with other bolts in that area of the bike.

I'd suggest watching some videos on YouTube about adjusting threadless headsets, (RJ the bike guy, park tool website are some examples of decent tutorial videos) and also invest in a bike repair manual so you can refer to it. Zinn maintenance manuals are good, also the park tool big blue book of bike repair.

At the moment planet X website have their torque wrench set on sale for £25. This includes most of the comm fittings you'll need to work on your bike such as T25 and Allen bolts of various sizes. I have this tool and it is of decent quality.

https://www.planetx.co.uk/c/q/maintenance/tools