New 2 speed hub gear ...

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
zenitb

New 2 speed hub gear ...

Post by zenitb »

This is the "Classified Powershift" - designed to go with 11 speed cassette so 2 x 11 with no front mech ...

Classified Powershift
Classified Powershift
https://classified-cycling.cc/en/powershift-hub

It is controlled wirelessly and the bolt through axle contains the wireless receiver and battery :-0

(This link suggests a price of around 2400 Euros though ... hmm.. I feel my enthusiasm waning !!!)
https://design-innovation-award.com/win ... shift-hub/

I note all the paid hacks (read: cycle press) are trying to make out this is a brilliant new innovative idea - but didn't Sachs used to do a hub like this for far less cash ?
kylecycler

Re: New 2 speed hub gear ...

Post by kylecycler »

:idea: Just had an idea: two chainrings with a derailleur and a mechanical shifter. Cost ~ 200 Euros. Genius, huh?! 8)
fastpedaller

Post by fastpedaller »

The Sturmey Archer 2 speed kickshift keeps appealing to me, but for the direct-drive and 'through the gears' 38% increase! If only it was (say) anything under 20% I'd make an immediate purchase. A jump from my preferred single speed of 65 inches to a whopping 90 inch would just be useless. Equally dropping from (through draggy gears as well) 65 inches to 47 inches is equally so. I so like the idea though.
i certainly won't be getting an electric shift at umpteen hundreds (or thousands) of pounds.
pq

Post by pq »

I remember reading about that a while ago. It can't cope with gears low enough for me so I rather lost interest. Now I've seen the price I'm even less interested... Still, it's good to develop these things, maybe there will be an affordable version in future.
One link to your website is enough. G
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

It can't cope with gears low enough for me so I rather lost interest. Now I've seen the price I'm even less interested
Couldn't have put it better meself... nice idea, mind - great to get into a lower range while stationary and enough range to all my needs. Liking the idea a lot.
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
MartinC

Post by MartinC »

They've shot themselves in the foot by not using a standard cassette (although the idea of a standard for this is disappearing). It's noticeable that front mechs have been so "improved" over the years that people are mow desperate to get rid of them.
gazza_d

Post by gazza_d »

Hmm
Reminds me of the sram dualdrive my Moulton APB came with an 8 speed cassette on a 3 speed hub gear. And that was 20 years ago. Pretty damn good touring setup actually. A lot easier to change than a triple chainset and you could do it on the move or stationary. Sturmey archer do a similar thing now. The APB now has an alfine 11.

As for the SA kickshift 2 speed. My TSR 2 came with one and it was bloody awful. Draggy and sounded like spanners rattling in a coffee tin.

After a few years with an SRAM p5 the tsr now has a Shimano 3 speed IGH with coaster which was dirt cheap from Taylor Wheels (ahh the EU, how I miss you)

Gaz
rogerzilla

Post by rogerzilla »

MartinC wrote: 7 May 2021, 6:35pm They've shot themselves in the foot by not using a standard cassette (although the idea of a standard for this is disappearing). It's noticeable that front mechs have been so "improved" over the years that people are mow desperate to get rid of them.
They had to do that to try to offset the weight. Hub gears are good in many respects, but always need to be made from hardened steel.
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

The beauty of cycling is that bikes can be very simple and perform well. At one end you have the fixed wheel and at the other a zillion gear cassette.
I'm not sure where this fits, it's certainly not simple
ClappedOut

Post by ClappedOut »

Fool and his money soon parted.
Rohloff or Sram duel still better
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Use a SA3sp with a Shimano cassette.
Rim brake or disc brake versions.
Hundred quid ish.

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/hubs-intern ... e-hub-36h/
You can find them a bit cheaper if you search.
Mick F. Cornwall
elPedro666

Post by elPedro666 »

As others have commented; I love the idea and how it works, but the cost - both initial and replacement cassettes etc - are completely prohibitive at least for the time being...

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my VOG-L09 using hovercraft full of eels.

zenitb

Post by zenitb »

rogerzilla wrote: 8 May 2021, 8:10am
MartinC wrote: 7 May 2021, 6:35pm They've shot themselves in the foot by not using a standard cassette (although the idea of a standard for this is disappearing). It's noticeable that front mechs have been so "improved" over the years that people are mow desperate to get rid of them.
They had to do that to try to offset the weight. Hub gears are good in many respects, but always need to be made from hardened steel.
Roger I think you hit the nail on the head with this one... I was thinking it was crazy for them to make their own cassette.. why would you do it ? ...but I am sure you are right - this is necessary to make the overall weight competitive including all the new hub gubbins. The cassette is milled from the solid from the looks of it and must be a significant part of the astronomic cost of the overall system ... but lighter than say, putting a Shimano HG cassette on there ..with its separate cogs, carriers and spacers..?

The big selling point they seem to be stressing is that the hub gear will shift down (and up) under load ... so presumably their pitch is.."hey ok, maybe it weighs a little bit more but downshifting on a hill is instant - unlike a front mech .. and this will give you the jump on the competition.."

Love all the SA alternatives BTW .. they sound a LOT more practical for us mortals :-)
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I cannot recommend the SA CS-RF3 highly enough.
https://www.sturmey-archer.com/en/produ ... rf3-silver
In a normal world - not hilly Cornwall - it would take the place of a triple.

or perhaps a double? ..................... you lose a bit of efficiency in 1st gear, but 3rd is great, so you could just use it as a double.
Mick F. Cornwall
scottg

Post by scottg »

If Mr. Sturmey would only bring back the TF hub,
you can put 2 o 3 cogs on it. A version with a cassette body would be lovely.
Has the fewest parts of any Sturmey, direct drive + -25%.
They came fixed, but you could fit a freewheel.
Very little lash, not at all like the S3X.
A wonder of British engineering.
They go for silly money on the 'Bay.

A TF with Osgear tension arm and a Simplex clanger
and you have a 4 speed drive train.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++
Deutsche Luftschiffahrts-AG
+++++++++++++++++++++++++