VSF Fahrradmanufaktur equivalent

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
ElCani

Re: VSF Fahrradmanufaktur equivalent

Post by ElCani »

Cyckelgalen wrote: 9 May 2021, 12:12pm What I would do, if the Nexus hub was the only issue and I wanted to keep the bike, is simply replacing the hub internals without rebuilding the wheel. You would need to get an identical hub, even a second hand one, and swap over the whole internal assembly to your hub shell. It all comes out as a unit from one side and you only have to screw it onto your hub shell. No need to rebuild the wheel as both flanges are part of the hub shel. And you could do it yourself with a couple of wrenches. Search YouTube to see how it is done and try to source a hub cheaply. I have repaired a few wheels with worn/malfunctioning Dynamo hubs and after much searching for spares, etc, this by far the cheapest, simplest approach.
Completely agree, and this is what I’d try first. I’m not sure if every Nexus 8 speed hub internal is compatible with every hub shell, but there’s definitely a lot of cross-compatibility between the various revisions. Which exact model of hub do you have? This should be written on the hub shell.
WalthamCity

Post by WalthamCity »

Thanks everyone for this superb and informative advice! I will try servicing or replacing the hub. It is a good point that bike parts can be bought on cycle to work. I hadn’t considered that.

I don’t have the bike with me right now (it’s still at the bike shop!) but I’ll check the hub model when I get it back.

Thanks again, everyone! I haven’t been on this forum for a while but I’m really pleased to see it is as active and helpful as ever.
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

It looks like buying a brand new model wouldn't get you what you wanted anyway, if this is the bike:
https://www.fahrradmanufaktur.de/en/kat ... 1-855-2020
It now has a derailleur transmission.

Get the hub serviced or if necessary replace with a new Alfine or Nexus, no need to get ride of the rest of the bike!
alexnharvey

Post by alexnharvey »

WalthamCity wrote: 9 May 2021, 7:34pm Thanks everyone for this superb and informative advice! I will try servicing or replacing the hub. It is a good point that bike parts can be bought on cycle to work. I hadn’t considered that.

I don’t have the bike with me right now (it’s still at the bike shop!) but I’ll check the hub model when I get it back.

Thanks again, everyone! I haven’t been on this forum for a while but I’m really pleased to see it is as active and helpful as ever.
On this forum you should find excellent instructions for servicing a Shimano 8 speed hub gear and there are some good videos and articles elsewhere too. It might well be that a flush and relubrication of the internals, possibly also a new cable will fix your issues, if not then the various options of replacing the internals, hub or wheel can be considered as others suggested. Good luck.
LuckyLuke

Post by LuckyLuke »

Great advice above, as I see it you have a couple of options:

1) Buy a complete Nexus 8 rear wheel. Pre Brexit I found Taylor Wheels in Germany were keenly priced and all the wheels I’ve had from them have behaved themselves. Haven’t brought from them since Brexit though...

2) Buy a Nexus 8 hub only, and swap the internals out with your old wheel. There are several versions of the hub so it makes sense to order the exact model hub you currently have. I see the latest version has a different shape to the hub shell.
I have serviced my Nexus 8s following the advice on this forum. Removing the internals for a soak in gear oil isn’t too tricky, but there is a knack and a right way to do it, as described by Brucey. A bench vice is really handy. You’ll need a good cone spanner in the right size too (?17mm. Sorry, can’t remember.) Somewhere on the internet is a scanned Shimano workshop manual with step by step photos.

Thinking about it... I’d be tempted to just buy a whole new wheel. Is your current rim long in the tooth? Gear cable draggy? Sprocket worn? When you order a new wheel from Taylor Wheels you get all these bits plus a new shifter and other odds and ends. Apparently these hubs’ lifespans are heavily influenced by the correct setting up of the gears, incentivising the use of a new cable, shifter etc?
Best wishes,
Luke
iandusud

Post by iandusud »

+1 to the above. We've got to get away from the "replace rather repair" society that consumerism has brought upon us. For the sake of the planet if for no other reason.
sukuinage

Post by sukuinage »

Bmblbzzz wrote: 9 May 2021, 8:26pm It looks like buying a brand new model wouldn't get you what you wanted anyway, if this is the bike:
https://www.fahrradmanufaktur.de/en/kat ... 1-855-2020
It now has a derailleur transmission.

Get the hub serviced or if necessary replace with a new Alfine or Nexus, no need to get ride of the rest of the bike!
T-100 with Nexus is still available:

https://www.fahrradmanufaktur.de/en/kat ... 1-886-2021

I'd agree with the best option being to put a new wheel in or to service. If there are a lot of miles on the bike and/or you're not willing to spend time on maintenance, the replacement wheel option would be the best - sell the old one on Ebay for someone else to repair.
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

(Off topic)
Interesting that a German site uses the term Anglais for what we call a mixte frame. It would just complete a triangle if the French used a German term for it (but alas I'm fairly sure they call it... mixte).
WalthamCity

Post by WalthamCity »

Hi everyone,

Thanks again for all the advice. Indeed the hub was fixable! I took it to a repair shop more experienced with hub gears and they took it apart, serviced it and replaced the worn parts. All for a very reasonable price!

The T-100 is now cycling like a dream again and I’ll be riding it for a good few years yet.
alexnharvey

Post by alexnharvey »

WalthamCity wrote: 28 Jun 2021, 7:41pm Hi everyone,

Thanks again for all the advice. Indeed the hub was fixable! I took it to a repair shop more experienced with hub gears and they took it apart, serviced it and replaced the worn parts. All for a very reasonable price!

The T-100 is now cycling like a dream again and I’ll be riding it for a good few years yet.

Great, glad to hear it. It's always nice to hear how the things work out in the end so thank you for posting the update.
LuckyLuke

Post by LuckyLuke »

WalthamCity wrote: 28 Jun 2021, 7:41pm Hi everyone,

Hi, great to hear!
Just curious, did they replace the entire hub innards via a transplant from a fresh hub? Or was only a minor repair required?
Can you name the shop? Shops that can service hub gears are few and far between so that would be great intel to share. (Name and shame the shop that quoted you £400 for a repair too! Robbin Barstewards.)
Best wishes,
Luke
WalthamCity

Post by WalthamCity »

Sorry. Just spotted this. The bike was fixed at BikeFix in London, which is actually where I bought it. They took the hub apart, replaced the worn bearings and put it back together and charged £60. Same day service too.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Sounds good.

Thanks for adding the outcome.

Jonathan