Shifter clicking issue

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
doffcocker

Shifter clicking issue

Post by doffcocker »

Hi all,

Roughly six months ago I performed a gear cable change for the first time. It went relatively smoothly, except that since that time, my shifter seems to click multiple times per shift.

It hasn't been a big problem because I have still been able to access each gear, I would just prefer it to work the way it originally did, i.e. to shift up just once each time it's moved the full distance inwards.

I realise this is probably more an issue with the shifters themselves (Shimano ST-R2000-R), I was just wondering if before I come to change the cable again, are there any alterations I could potentially make to remedy this that doesn't involve replacing the shifters?

Cheers.
cyclop

Re: Shifter clicking issue

Post by cyclop »

Firstly,it,s not clear what the problem is.Secondly,the problem arose when you changed the cable.Thirdly,the logical conclusion is an incorrectly installed cable,change the cable,assuming you don,t do the same again.
PT1029

Post by PT1029 »

Can you clarify a bit more.
"Multiple clicks per shift",:-
are these normal sounding clicks?
"per shift", is this multiple clicks per single gear change (1 cog/gear shift)?

In terms of pushing the lever and gear changing, is it the operation the same as before, just with extra audible clicks, or does something different happen (compared to previously) when you move the lever?
doffcocker

Post by doffcocker »

PT1029 wrote: 9 May 2021, 4:41pm Can you clarify a bit more.
"Multiple clicks per shift",:-
are these normal sounding clicks?
"per shift", is this multiple clicks per single gear change (1 cog/gear shift)?

In terms of pushing the lever and gear changing, is it the operation the same as before, just with extra audible clicks, or does something different happen (compared to previously) when you move the lever?
So when I push the shifter the full way inwards, when I first bought the bike, it would make one click sound and move up one cog.
Whereas since changing the cable, when I push it the full way in, it may make two or three click noises, and move up two or three cogs respectively, from that one motion.

I have been getting around this by simply pushing only as far inwards as to create one click sound, and in turn moving up just the one cog at a time, but this to me just doesn't feel as comfortable, and I wonder if it's natural for it to be doing that.
PT1029

Post by PT1029 »

Whereas since changing the cable, when I push it the full way in, it may make two or three click noises, and move up two or three cogs respectively, from that one motion.
I have been getting around this by simply pushing only as far inwards as to create one click sound, and in turn moving up just the one cog at a time
Push a little with 1 click and get 1 gear shift, push a lot and get more clicks/multiple gear shifts is how they are meant to work.
May be in fitting the cable you cured a problem you didn't know you had!
gregoryoftours

Post by gregoryoftours »

The product guide for that model indicates that a full inward throw of the right hand lever will shift twice, so before the gear cable change your STI shifter wasn't working correctly, while now it is. It doesn't say anything about shifting 3 times in one go, but certainly that model is supposed to go 2.

As far as I remember all Shimano STIs are designed to do this, with most changing 3 shifts in a full lever throw. They are designed to do this so that you can dump gears more quickly if you come across an unexpected incline.

The upshift to a higher gear (ie changing from larger to smaller sprocket) on the small paddle will always be one at a time on the right hand lever however.
Screenshot_2021-05-09-16-46-52-638_com.google.android.apps.docs.jpg