Another Raleigh Superbe restoration-weekend ride

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
ClappedOut

Another Raleigh Superbe restoration-weekend ride

Post by ClappedOut »

After seeing viewtopic.php?f=5&t=145073 , not wanting to hijack it and hankering after an esquire or similar while enjoying the progress of the thread I also found this video

And
Manuals here
https://www.kurtkaminer.com/TH_raleigh_sp_1.htm

A knowledgeable forum member very kindly offered me two projects.

A longer term pre war project and a 1950's complete bicycle which required some fettling and an oily rag restoration.
As advised the transfers and patina are such that it would be a shame to paint over them as a certain charm.

After some consideration the bicycle was in amazing condition so I serviced it and bought some tyres, not sure I'm set on white wall tyres and they are Raleigh record so not the best - but locally £13.99 each v £42 each for marathons and it's a reversible modification.

With help of my partner, son and stepdad the target was to have it serviced and riding for a test ride on this Sunday so a Saturday until midnight fettling.

After stripping the old tyres, tubes and rim tape, I had quite an issue getting Raleigh record bead correct centred and tyres round- spent an hour getting it right.
Tyre slime fitted as don't want roadside repairs if possible as quite involved removing wheels.

It has a five speed hub conversion that the forum member had fitted- had 20mph out of it so far.

So this thread is a thank you to him for his kindness and generosity- and to show that a quality bike can provide fun project and be reliable.

:D
Attachments
IMG_20210509_142954.jpg
Last edited by ClappedOut on 9 May 2021, 11:51pm, edited 3 times in total.
colin54

Re: Another Raleigh Superbe restoration-weekend ride

Post by colin54 »

Looks good, wishing you many happy miles on it.
Nu-Fogey
ClappedOut

Post by ClappedOut »

colin54 wrote: 9 May 2021, 5:39pm Looks good, wishing you many happy miles on it.
:D It’s going to get plenty of use and rides very nicely, can encourage the family to better fitness and explore what we are hoping will be a long warm summer.
ClappedOut

Post by ClappedOut »

After scratching my head for a cheap mudflap as all I found was £25 Raleigh chopper flap etc on ebay-I found that SJS in my lunch hour listed a brompton one for £4.99.

So it has a leather look one side and carbon fibre type look the other, fitting bracket and bolts included.

flattened the bracket and cut in half, some contact adhesive and new hole and it fits nicely without being a dirt trap and reversible as kept original rivets etc.
Result :D
ClappedOut

Post by ClappedOut »

Having sold a few things this week I’m thinking about the pre war frame.
I bought a set of handle bars and rod brakes on eBay with nice chrome and a saddle on this forum as it seemed a deal- so that’s me spent for a day or two.

I’m thinking that from what I can see a professional stove enamel and oven baked is going to be from £90-110 plus any prep and postage.

Now the rod brake mounts possibly will scuff paint, I have many many years ago sprayed two pack and cellulose paints.

I have been researching tractor enamel and it seems that it can be thinned and sprayed, although I’m not too sure on curing times- I wondered if painted in hotter weather and cooked in a metal garage it would be suitable as you don’t see vintage tractors being touched in once painted.

Or there is acrylic stove enamel as something I have heard little about as well, guessing less durable.

:| :| :D
Krashper

Post by Krashper »

Apologies for the belated reply, nice work on the bike there. I hope these things are as reliable as the legends say since I plan to keeping my one. Are you going to post the progress of the pre-war in this thread as well? Will we see some pictures as you go along?

Can't help you with the paint, I'm kinda experimenting myself... Have you had a look into Combicolor by Rustoleum? Same stuff I plan on using. It's a urethane-modified alkyd. Not much info out there but from what I gather it's a hybrid paint, supposed to be a tough industrial grade stuff. It's garnered a cult following of sorts amongst van and camper enthusiasts. Guys roller their cars and vans with it. It's supposedly got really good anti-sag and self-evening properties... They've got mega-threads devoted to this stuff on their forums.
colin54

Post by colin54 »

ClappedOut wrote: 16 May 2021, 10:11pm I bought a set of handle bars and rod brakes on eBay with nice chrome and a saddle on this forum as it seemed a deal- so that’s me spent for a day or two.

I don't know if you've worked on rod brakes before, but there's a good primer video about them with a lot of of practical information, on 'Velocipedium's' youtube channel. A large part of this channel's content relates to Raleigh Superbes & 3 speed bike restorations in general, well worth watching.
Edit ; second link to initial rod-brake installation and set-up video added.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLiL4crstVA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1jqtFfZYBE
Have fun !
Nu-Fogey
ClappedOut

Post by ClappedOut »

Cheers will slowly post the pre war bicycle refurbishment.
Rod brakes yes had a play and thank you for links. :)

Regards Raleigh Superbe reliability, I think that a lube and bit of care they are great.

The oily rag restoration I watched an anvil being beeswaxed against rust, I did wonder if this was a safe method for the 1950’s bike that has provided some tinkering and enjoyable riding.

My stepdad also enjoys the relaxed comfortable ride on it, getting it regularly used :)

Now I have figured how to post a picture on this forum I will slowly strip the pre war bike and work towards a rebuild.
ClappedOut

Post by ClappedOut »

These as part of my pre war resto, not perfect-but pretty good.
Attachments
IMG_20210520_144243.jpg
Krashper

Post by Krashper »

Those are excellent! Mine are really bad by comparison but I won't be replacing them.

As for beeswax coating, freaky how you mention it. I was watching a video of the subject last week and the same exact though popped into my mind. Only problems I can see is that there will be residue and will rub on clothing, and applying heat will de-temper the frame and forks... Don't know how big of an issue that would be. I still want to try it some day though...
ClappedOut

Post by ClappedOut »

Today we stripped rest of frame and carefully stored the parts in plastic tubs.

Quite a few bolts were already rounded and none of the six side imperial sockets would fit, so it will be replacements after acquiring a suitable thread gauge at some point.

Managed to get the lock rings undone and removed the handle bars, forks etc.

Currently two stopping points are

1) chainring side cup solid and looks like prior efforts to move.
2) bottom bracket oiler missing cover- uncertain if it is threaded or press fit- don’t want to touch unless a spare available.
Krashper

Post by Krashper »

I believe the oiler is press fit. I've stripped 2 raleighs thus far and both were press fit. both were from the late 50's. First one was from 1958. At the time I wasn't aware that these old raleighs had oiler ports and the area was packed with dirt and girme so I went at it with a screwdriver to get it all out. Unfortunately I snapped off the oiler cap in the process. Luckily for you I have kept the cap! :D

I reckon you could silver solder it back on easily.

If you like, I can post it to you free of charge. Just pm me your address. :D
Attachments
DSCN0410.JPG
DSCN0409.JPG
ClappedOut

Post by ClappedOut »

Krashper wrote: 23 May 2021, 1:11pm I believe the oiler is press fit. I've stripped 2 raleighs thus far and both were press fit. both were from the late 50's. First one was from 1958. At the time I wasn't aware that these old raleighs had oiler ports and the area was packed with dirt and girme so I went at it with a screwdriver to get it all out. Unfortunately I snapped off the oiler cap in the process. Luckily for you I have kept the cap! :D

I reckon you could silver solder it back on easily.

If you like, I can post it to you free of charge. Just pm me your address. :D
Awesome thank you, will PM