Rear rack that attaches to axle (for carbon bike without eyelets)

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Mick F
Spambuster

Re: Rear rack that attaches to axle (for carbon bike without eyelets)

Post by Mick F »

:oops: :oops: :oops:
You are spot on, and I was wrong.
Funny how people (like me) get something into their heads and believe it ................ and be wrong. :oops:

Yes, Mercian's rear rack (which I no longer have) and the one at present on Barbarella both went into the rear mudguard eyes and NOT the axle dropout.
Mick F. Cornwall
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

Mick F wrote: 10 May 2021, 2:19pm :oops: :oops: :oops:
Funny how people (like me) get something into their heads and believe it ................ and be wrong. :oops:
Well if a LEJOG record-holder can be that badly wrong, I don't feel so bad about my own mistakes ...

:wink:
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

mattheus wrote: 10 May 2021, 2:08pmEvery rack I've ever used attaches a little way above that, in a load-specific eyelet.
Me too. Thanks for the clarification.

Jonathan
RickH

Post by RickH »

Bike packing bags - a seatpack & handlebar roll will carry around the same volume as a pair of small panniers & have considerably less "dead" weight.

Ortlieb Sport Rollers (formerly Front Rollers) weigh around 1.4 kg for 25l capacity (plus you need a rack too. An Alpkit Big Papa seatpack gives you 17l for 380g (575g if you use the Exorail support). Add a bar roll (e.g. Tivaro 13 - 13l, 345g) & you have 30l capacity for 2/3 the weight (AND no rack).

A smaller, & marginally lighter alternative to the Big Papa is the 13l Koala. I've been using a Koala, instead of a rack & rack bag for around 4 years now & am very pleased with it.

Just to be non-conformist I've been known to use Front Rollers (on a low rider front rack) & the Koala together. :D
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

mattheus wrote: 10 May 2021, 2:21pm
Mick F wrote: 10 May 2021, 2:19pm :oops: :oops: :oops:
Well if a LEJOG record-holder can be that badly wrong, I don't feel so bad about my own mistakes ...

:wink:
:lol: :lol:
Mick F. Cornwall
mjr

Post by mjr »

mattheus wrote: 10 May 2021, 2:08pm Every rack I've ever used attaches a little way above that, in a load-specific eyelet.
Most of my racks are the same, but my Dutchie's rear rack has holes in the flat leg ends which go over the rear axle. That's part of why it can support a passenger and seat cushions are available for the rear rack. It's also part of why removing the rear wheel is a bit fiddly and I favour patch-repairing punctures without removing the wheel!
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

That's what I remember!
Child seat!

We had one fitted to my bike when Daughter1 was young.
That definitely fitted to the dropouts behind the wheel nuts.
Mick F. Cornwall
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

RickH wrote: 10 May 2021, 3:06pm Bike packing bags - a seatpack & handlebar roll will carry around the same volume as a pair of small panniers & have considerably less "dead" weight.
A valid point, but we do already have 60+ pages of information about bikepacking luggage, so it would be nice to have a thread that focuses on this specific issue. If that's OK; it's just a friendly request :)

search.php?keywords=bikepacking+luggage ... mit=Search
RickH

Post by RickH »

mattheus wrote: 10 May 2021, 4:45pm
RickH wrote: 10 May 2021, 3:06pm Bike packing bags - a seatpack & handlebar roll will carry around the same volume as a pair of small panniers & have considerably less "dead" weight.
A valid point, but we do already have 60+ pages of information about bikepacking luggage, so it would be nice to have a thread that focuses on this specific issue. If that's OK; it's just a friendly request :)

OK. :D If the OP definitely wants a rack of some sort, one option might be the Thule Pack'n Pedal ones that use rubber straps to fix to the seatstays. That would carry a reasonable, but light, load. I've no personal experience but Thule stuff is, almost invariably, good quality.

Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
MountainSurfer

Post by MountainSurfer »

Thanks for all the comments, suggestions! There are more options than I had initially found, though I think this is partially because I'm not up to date on the minutiae bike anatomy/terminology and probably wasn't searching using the correct parameters/search words!
gaz wrote: 9 May 2021, 9:32pm Welcome to the forum.

Old Man Mountain, UK dealer: https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/search/?ter ... ountain%22

I've no idea whether the precise combination of rack and fitting kit you are looking for is in stock.
Thanks for this - will see what combination I need (need to figure out how to correctly measure my skewer/axle and hub I believe). Much more expensive than I thought! I bought the bike for £400, all other accessories were about £550 and this rack/fix kit alone would be £250!
Jamesh wrote: 9 May 2021, 9:40pm How much weight are you wanting to put through the rack?

Are you wanting panniers? Too much weight may damage the frame.

I'd suggest looking at bike packing gear for a carbon synapse.

It's what I used for my end to end on a Cannondale six which is simalar geo to a synapse.

Cheers James
I would prefer panniers although a trunk bag might have to do. The option to at least be able to carry two panniers would be nice, even if I end up using a trunk bag. A number of options I've seen attach to the seat rails (rather than seat post only) and thus mean my saddle bag and attachment would have to keep coming off and go into the bag when in use, which is a bit annoying.

I don't imagine the weight would be too much. Day to day whilst I commute, no more than 3kg (clothes, shoes etc). If I do decide to go on rides where I want to carry more stuff (unlikely, but would like to have the option rather than needing to buy something else later if it arises) then I imagine no more than 5kg on either side, and even that would be a lot.
gregoryoftours wrote: 9 May 2021, 10:30pm Look at Tubus options too - they make a rear axle mounting kit for their racks.
https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/carriers-ra ... -mounting/
LuckyLuke wrote: 9 May 2021, 11:06pm
gregoryoftours wrote: 9 May 2021, 10:30pm Look at Tubus options too - they make a rear axle mounting kit for their racks.
Hi, I fitted the Tubus Disco rack to a now ex’s bike in 2016. It was a disc braked aluminium Boardman hybrid that did have eyelets on the seat stays. The lower rack mount is by using the rear hub skewer. I recall the rack came with an extra long quick release skewer. As the bike was used for commuting I fitted a longer pitlock skewer.
The rack, like all other Tubus racks I’ve used is top quality and rock solid. My ex swapped to a rim-braked bike and we swapped the Tubus Disco to that. Still mounting it via the pitlock hub skewer. It’s 5 yrs old now, in regular use and still going strong.
One issue is the absence of seat stay eyelets. I’ve used P clips and Tubus’ own equivalents, (excellent), but only on steel frames. I genuinely don’t know if it’s ok for carbon frames.
Best wishes,
Luke
So this? https://www.deporvillage.net/tubus-disc ... TFEALw_wcB

It seems to come with a skewer already. Could I use that as is? I have a rim brake bike and it says this is made for disc brakes but it seems like that shouldn't be an issue. I know I would need a P clamp for my seat stay that has attachment points for the top part of the rack. Presumably to be able to take the rear wheel off with this kind of skewer, I would have to take the entire skewer out first?
hamster wrote: 10 May 2021, 10:17am It's also worth having a think about whether your frame has short seatstays and could give you enough heel clearance for panniers.

Personally I would never fit P-clips to a carbon frame - the middle of the stays is unlikely to be heavily reinforced and may not be suitable for rack loads, plus the risk of crushing the stays.

I would consider whether a seat bag (either of the backpacking or Carradice type) would work better.

But be aware you might be trying to fit a towbar to a Ferrari.
Yeah I've seen the Carradice and Arkel versions of these seat bags. Annoyingly I would then have to detach my saddle bag (with tool, inners, levers, CO2 canister etc, which I would otherwise need to be on the bike at all times) and put it into the seat bag every time I wanted to carry stuff with me. An option, but I would prefer a pannier rack if it's doable, though I understand completely what you're saying about the fact the bike wasn't really made for that.

Ortlieb Sport Rollers (formerly Front Rollers) weigh around 1.4 kg for 25l capacity (plus you need a rack too. An Alpkit Big Papa seatpack gives you 17l for 380g (575g if you use the Exorail support). Add a bar roll (e.g. Tivaro 13 - 13l, 345g) & you have 30l capacity for 2/3 the weight (AND no rack).

A smaller, & marginally lighter alternative to the Big Papa is the 13l Koala. I've been using a Koala, instead of a rack & rack bag for around 4 years now & am very pleased with it.

Just to be non-conformist I've been known to use Front Rollers (on a low rider front rack) & the Koala together. :D
Don't think the bar roll would work as doesn't look like I'd be able to shift gear (Shimano shifters)? Regarding seat bags, similar to above, this is definitely doable (and easy). Less ideal though as it would mean having to remove the saddle bag every time. Though actually now I look at the Koala, it looks like it would be able to attach to the saddle rails without me having to remove the attachment for the saddlebag (click attachment), so I would just have to remove the saddlebag and velcro bit, which is less of a faff.
RickH wrote: 10 May 2021, 5:52pm
mattheus wrote: 10 May 2021, 4:45pm

OK. :D If the OP definitely wants a rack of some sort, one option might be the Thule Pack'n Pedal ones that use rubber straps to fix to the seatstays. That would carry a reasonable, but light, load. I've no personal experience but Thule stuff is, almost invariably, good quality.

I'll definitely look into this, thanks! I do wonder how stable it would be with nothing to stabilise it at the top/front, but the ads seem to show that you can attach two reasonable size panniers to it (if you buy the magnet attachments that allow the pannier to fix onto the frame lower down).
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

I used this in combination with an Ambrosio seat clamp collar to mount a rack on my CF Peugeot for a three week tour of Austria carrying a couple of small panniers for clothing. Solid as a rock, easy to remove for the couple of sportives i rode at either end of the trip too. I used my Ti Tubus rack but you can use any brand of 4 point fixing rack.

Oh and as previuosly pointed out, you shouldn't clamp anything weight bearing to the CF frame tubes (or CF seatpost), it is quite easy to cause crush damage so i'm afraid the Thule system shouldn't be used. You could invest in an Al or Ti seatpost instead of your CF one then you could use a seat post mounted bag/rack set up - for example i use an Ortlieb Saddle pack which sits nicely below my tool bag, i get my rain coat, camera, sandwiches, cafe' lock, power bar, etc inside for day rides.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
Bobbin

Post by Bobbin »

I have a Thule pack n’ pedal. It’s a well made bit of kit. Seems sturdy enough when fitted, though I never got to use it. Bought it to do c2c on my carbon road bike but never managed it due to life intruding . :(
gregoryoftours

Post by gregoryoftours »

So this? https://www.deporvillage.net/tubus-disc ... TFEALw_wcB

It seems to come with a skewer already. Could I use that as is?

--------
Yes that rack comes complete with skewer fitting so is a complete solution.

The skewer kit I linked to won't work with that rack but can be used with other Tubus racks and many other brands of rack to allow them to be fitted to the rear axle.

Rather than get p-clips for the seatstays which could cause crush damage, if your seat tube end allows I'd get a seatpost clamp with integrated pannier mount points - this sort of thing:
92015-321436_1_Zoom.jpg
Just Google 'seatpost clamp rack mount' and you might find the design to best fit your frame.
MountainSurfer

Post by MountainSurfer »

gregoryoftours wrote: 10 May 2021, 10:27pm So this? https://www.deporvillage.net/tubus-disc ... TFEALw_wcB

It seems to come with a skewer already. Could I use that as is?

--------
Yes that rack comes complete with skewer fitting so is a complete solution.

The skewer kit I linked to won't work with that rack but can be used with other Tubus racks and many other brands of rack to allow them to be fitted to the rear axle.

Rather than get p-clips for the seatstays which could cause crush damage, if your seat tube end allows I'd get a seatpost clamp with integrated pannier mount points - this sort of thing:92015-321436_1_Zoom.jpg
Just Google 'seatpost clamp rack mount' and you might find the design to best fit your frame.
Yeah sorry I made a typo in my post above. I meant the seat post (not seat tube) and the type of clamp you just posted. So that rack (with its skewer included), plus seat post clamp would be all I need?

And what happens to removing the rear wheel if I use that skewer? Would I need to remove the full skewer from the axle/hub each time I wanted to take the rear wheel off?
ClappedOut

Post by ClappedOut »

Just a thought, SJS sell Robert axle project towing accessories.
The weight on axle and a steady on seat post after consulting manufacturer on max loading.

Not sure I would want too much weight on a carbon bike