Rear rack that attaches to axle (for carbon bike without eyelets)

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
gregoryoftours

Re: Rear rack that attaches to axle (for carbon bike without eyelets)

Post by gregoryoftours »

MountainSurfer wrote: 10 May 2021, 11:29pm So that rack (with its skewer included), plus seat post clamp would be all I need?

And what happens to removing the rear wheel if I use that skewer? Would I need to remove the full skewer from the axle/hub each time I wanted to take the rear wheel off?
Yes, that's all you need, unless your dropout design gets in the way a bit in which case you might need some washers or spacers which may or may not be supplied with the rack. You would have to remove the skewer and any spacers completely to remove the wheel. But in my opinion it's not much trouble seeing as it's enabling the fitting of a conventional rack to a bike without fittings to take one.
MountainSurfer

Post by MountainSurfer »

So I had the opportunity to try out a couple of different options now. Some weren't compatible, another was but I didn't like it, so I've settled on the Arkel Randonneur Seat Post Rack. It doesn't actually put any force/weight through the seat post, rather the saddle rails with a stabiliser on the seat post (rubber and velcro only on the seat post only). It works pretty well, is specifically made to suit carbon bikes, and the 6kg maximum load is more than I will ever need for my short commutes. Bought a 20L trunk bag for it and tested it out today- it will do for what I need! Thanks all for the advice.

https://www.arkel-od.com/arkel-randonneur-rack/
Last edited by MountainSurfer on 23 May 2021, 12:54am, edited 1 time in total.
ClappedOut

Post by ClappedOut »

Well done glad you found a safe solution
Chris Jeggo

Post by Chris Jeggo »

I have just skimmed through this thread. I may have missed it, but I don't think anyone said that, when fitting an axle-mounting rack to a bike with quick-release wheels, the rack must be fitted inside the dropouts, not outside, so that the load rests on the axle, not on the skewer. This means that installing and removing the wheel is much more involved.
It is also likely that longer axle and skewer will be needed, especially as spacers might need to be added (also inside the dropouts) to avoid interference between rack and seat stays. It is much simpler with a solid axle and wheel nuts - the rack goes outside the dropouts.
The centre of gravity of the rack complete with loaded panniers is usually vertically above the axle, or close to that, so that nearly all the luggage load is taken by the axle. The rack stays which attach to the cycle's seat stays bear the very much smaller force required to prevent the rack from rotating fore or aft about the wheel axle. So I would not worry about using P-clips, other than possibly over-tightening them on to the seat stays.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

Chris Jeggo wrote: 2 Jul 2022, 10:36am I have just skimmed through this thread. I may have missed it, but I don't think anyone said that, when fitting an axle-mounting rack to a bike with quick-release wheels, the rack must be fitted inside the dropouts, not outside, so that the load rests on the axle, not on the skewer. This means that installing and removing the wheel is much more involved.
It is also likely that longer axle and skewer will be needed, especially as spacers might need to be added (also inside the dropouts) to avoid interference between rack and seat stays. It is much simpler with a solid axle and wheel nuts - the rack goes outside the dropouts.
The centre of gravity of the rack complete with loaded panniers is usually vertically above the axle, or close to that, so that nearly all the luggage load is taken by the axle. The rack stays which attach to the cycle's seat stays bear the very much smaller force required to prevent the rack from rotating fore or aft about the wheel axle. So I would not worry about using P-clips, other than possibly over-tightening them on to the seat stays.
Its not possible to fit anything inside the frame, there simply isn't any space, they have to be on the outside. It might not be ideal but at the end of the day its never going to be perfect, it is after all, a bodge.

The Tubus system, which i have used myself, utilises a longer, stronger QR skewer and mounting plates designed for the job, they recommend a max weight of 20kg IIRC regardless of the rack rating.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
Chris Jeggo

Post by Chris Jeggo »

foxyrider wrote: 2 Jul 2022, 8:00pm
Chris Jeggo wrote: 2 Jul 2022, 10:36am I have just skimmed through this thread. I may have missed it, but I don't think anyone said that, when fitting an axle-mounting rack to a bike with quick-release wheels, the rack must be fitted inside the dropouts, not outside, so that the load rests on the axle, not on the skewer. This means that installing and removing the wheel is much more involved.
Its not possible to fit anything inside the frame, there simply isn't any space, they have to be on the outside. It might not be ideal but at the end of the day its never going to be perfect, it is after all, a bodge.

The Tubus system, which i have used myself, utilises a longer, stronger QR skewer and mounting plates designed for the job, they recommend a max weight of 20kg IIRC regardless of the rack rating.
That's interesting. I've just looked at the Tubus kit info on the SJS site. It appears that I was wrong about having to have the load on the axle rather than the skewer. The Tubus skewer will clearly take the 20kg max that they specify.