Gear combination

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Richardcary

Gear combination

Post by Richardcary »

Can I run a 52/39 double chainset with a cassette of up to 32 teeth, with a long-arm derailleur (it's a Deore mech with quite a wide capacity)?
Eyebrox

Re: Gear combination

Post by Eyebrox »

Yes and maybe no. Technically there's nothing preventing this arrangement from working satisfactorily. But the chain could be too short to get round both. It depends on the length of your chainstay and the length of your chain (114, 116 or 118 links?) A long derailleur is ideal - it will allow the chain to cope with the big 32 teeth cog. There is an online calculator that will tell you the limits.
Tigerbiten

Post by Tigerbiten »

A long cage derailleur can normally cope with a 45 tooth difference big/big to small/small.
Plus you can add 2 or 3 teeth to that for manufacture's leeway.
Your only running (52+32)-(39+11) or a 34 tooth difference.
So it should easily cope with the chain slack.
Unless you've a very old mech then it should be able to cope with upto a 36 t big sprocket.
But look up the user manual for your derailleur online for the recommended chain capacity, largest sprocket size and smallest sprocket size to be sure.
Marcus Aurelius

Post by Marcus Aurelius »

I’ve used a medium cage with a faux pro up front and an 11-32 cassette successfully. The chain length you’ll need will also depend on the length of your chain stays.
Richardcary

Post by Richardcary »

Great. Thanks everyone.
elPedro666

Post by elPedro666 »

Just to add - and apologies if I'm into 'sucking eggs' territory here - once you've got it all together just gently double-check that you have enough chain length to cope with an accidental big/big combo.

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my VOG-L09 using hovercraft full of eels.