Ebike price crash

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
ClappedOut

Ebike price crash

Post by ClappedOut »

Looking with an associate we have seen sub 500 mile bikes for massive discounts that were several thousand new.

Is this the great ebike sell off?

Not in the market for one, but £3000 plus bike for £600 for example.
richardfm

Re: Ebike price crash

Post by richardfm »

Where?
Richard M
Cardiff
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

ClappedOut wrote: 12 May 2021, 11:05pm Looking with an associate we have seen sub 500 mile bikes for massive discounts that were several thousand new.

Is this the great ebike sell off?

Not in the market for one, but £3000 plus bike for £600 for example.
A link please?
John
thelawnet

Post by thelawnet »

Sounds like some kind of scam
Bonzo Banana

Post by Bonzo Banana »

Prices from Chinese factories are increasing, shipping is more expensive, the cost of shipping containers too has massively increased. I can only see prices increasing really except if the UK stops some tariffs from some countries. I mean the eu put 80% tariffs on complete ebikes from China which I think we have adopted for the time being but maybe we will reduce them in time. The eu protected its own ebike assembly plants with these tariffs but we don't have many ebike assembly plants to worry about over here.

Also demand is still quite high in the uk so no reason to heavily discount.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

Bonzo Banana wrote: 13 May 2021, 11:47am

is it?

I see a lot of low mileage bikes, from top end road to BSO's to E's for sale atm, far more than the season would normally have on offer. Its pretty obvious that a lot of bikes were purchased with good intent last year but the reality - its hard work - has consigned many of those machines to expensive dust gatherers. Not saying there isn't demand but its probably not for machines costing more than a reasonable used car.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
Bonzo Banana

Post by Bonzo Banana »

foxyrider wrote: 13 May 2021, 3:57pm

is it?

I see a lot of low mileage bikes, from top end road to BSO's to E's for sale atm, far more than the season would normally have on offer. Its pretty obvious that a lot of bikes were purchased with good intent last year but the reality - its hard work - has consigned many of those machines to expensive dust gatherers. Not saying there isn't demand but its probably not for machines costing more than a reasonable used car.
I'm not hearing about any slowdown yet and there are still supply issues but I can see the market certainly going down in the future but we could be a year away from that. Last time I looked Halfords, Decathlon, Go Outdoors had a much reduced range and stock warnings.
hemo

Post by hemo »

No prices crashing this year, one retailer often mentioned on here have containers on boats at sea and on order and have most of the component parts/contents pre booked for sale (once they have been built up in the UK), most bikes due to be built by September are in effect already allocated a build slot number and a customer.
Supply and demand even on 2020 bikes this year are that heavily depreciated.
jo' bo

Post by jo' bo »

is it?

My occasional trips on the face book market place have revealed that the second hand bike market has collapsed, including ebikes, there are still some hold outs, but the same ones are there week after week at decreasing prices
Bonzo Banana

Post by Bonzo Banana »

Prices still look slightly raised to me on my local facebook marketplace but haven't looked to see if they are selling or not. Normally though prices I think do rise a bit for the summer with demand increasing. There are some very overpriced bikes here, opportunist sellers I guess.

There are some ebikes perhaps 3 years old or more where sellers want a huge slice of the original price despite the battery probably being end of life with low capacity. They will keep trying to get silly high money for their bikes week after week waiting for someone less clued up to buy. I suspect you get that sort of seller everywhere and their bikes are best ignored.
jo' bo

Post by jo' bo »

Bonzo Banana wrote: 14 May 2021, 2:13pm Prices still look slightly raised to me on my local facebook marketplace but haven't looked to see if they are selling or not. Normally though prices I think do rise a bit for the summer with demand increasing. There are some very overpriced bikes here, opportunist sellers I guess.

There are some ebikes perhaps 3 years old or more where sellers want a huge slice of the original price despite the battery probably being end of life with low capacity. They will keep trying to get silly high money for their bikes week after week waiting for someone less clued up to buy. I suspect you get that sort of seller everywhere and their bikes are best ignored.
I think we have reached a point where everybody who wants a bike has one, even if they paid 200 quid for some junk 90s mountain bike.

There also so seems to be a lack of the literally 100s of folk doing laps of the park on their junk 90s mountain bike.

Between the two it's safe to assume, that their are hundreds of bikes clogging up peoples hall ways, that are not being used, this fall off in use seemed to co incided with the big shopping centres opening again
markjohnobrien

Post by markjohnobrien »

I take exception to your categorising 90’s bikes as “junk” as I bought an as new Reynolds Optima framed bike from this very forum recently: immaculate condition and very nice tubing.
Raleigh Randonneur 708 (Magura hydraulic brakes); Blue Raleigh Randonneur 708 dynamo; Pearson Compass 631 tourer; Dawes One Down 631 dynamo winter bike;Raleigh Travelogue 708 tourer dynamo; Kona Sutra; Trek 920 disc Sram Force.
jo' bo

Post by jo' bo »

markjohnobrien wrote: 14 May 2021, 3:03pm I take exception to your categorising 90’s bikes as “junk” as I bought an as new Reynolds Optima framed bike from this very forum recently: immaculate condition and very nice tubing.
Well to be fair, they are not as junk as 80s bikes, so you've got a,win there.

I myself ride old junk, but I do this as I'm a cheap scate, rather than them having any inherent qualities, that mean they are worth more than 100 quid
ClappedOut

Post by ClappedOut »

jo' bo wrote: 14 May 2021, 12:29pm

is it?

My occasional trips on the face book market place have revealed that the second hand bike market has collapsed, including ebikes, there are still some hold outs, but the same ones are there week after week at decreasing prices
https://www.facebook.com/groups/2233874 ... ?ref=share
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

markjohnobrien wrote: 14 May 2021, 3:03pm I take exception to your categorising 90’s bikes as “junk” as I bought an as new Reynolds Optima framed bike from this very forum recently: immaculate condition and very nice tubing.
Ditto - my three most ridden bikes are Tange steel 90s hybrids - all originally 7 speed, one now 8, other two 9 - they ride wonderfully. All were bought second hand in good condition.
Sweep