Ebike price crash

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
jo' bo

Re: Ebike price crash

Post by jo' bo »

Sweep wrote: 15 May 2021, 10:35am
markjohnobrien wrote: 14 May 2021, 3:03pm I take exception to your categorising 90’s bikes as “junk” as I bought an as new Reynolds Optima framed bike from this zvery forum recently: immaculate condition and very nice tubing.
Ditto - my three most ridden bikes are Tange steel 90s hybrids - all originally 7 speed, one now 8, other two 9 - they ride wonderfully. All were bought second hand in good condition.
If they are so good why do you need three?

I have a really good washing machine , but only the one, as its good

There are very few exceptions to the rule that new technology is objectivly better than old technology

Subjectively better is of course a different kettle of fish, it can be anything you want as its subjective
Last edited by jo' bo on 15 May 2021, 10:50am, edited 1 time in total.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

jo' bo wrote: 15 May 2021, 10:43am
markjohnobrien wrote: 14 May 2021, 3:03pm I take exception to your categorising 90’s bikes as “junk” as I bought an as new Reynolds Optima framed bike from this zvery forum recently: immaculate condition and very nice tubing.
Ditto - my three most ridden bikes are Tange steel 90s hybrids - all originally 7 speed, one now 8, other two 9 - they ride wonderfully. All were bought second hand in good condition.

Your comment makes me wonder if you are a cyclist.
They are built up differently - different gearing - ridden for different purposes - fitted out differently.

I do actually have a fourth one - near pristine shop quality even though it's 25 years old - need to sell it as I decide that it's the wrong size so bought one the size above for £30 and kitted it out as a great tourer. You wouldn't appreciate it though.
Sweep
jo' bo

Post by jo' bo »

Sweep wrote: 15 May 2021, 10:49am

They are built up differently - different gearing - ridden for different purposes - fitted out differently.
They are hybrids, do anything Badly sort of bike, having three that do three things badly seems to be over kill

I have three completly different type specific bikes, as they do what they were designed to very efficiently,

Non of them are 90s junk, they are all early 2010s junk, as they are objectivly better than 90s junk, aluminium was a big step forward and twenty years of development shows

I did briefly have a 90s hybrid THING, it had sis shifters, single skin wheels and weighed as much as a gas cooker

Its main advantage is no one wanted to steal it,
Last edited by jo' bo on 15 May 2021, 11:06am, edited 1 time in total.
ClappedOut

Post by ClappedOut »

markjohnobrien wrote: 14 May 2021, 3:03pm I take exception to your categorising 90’s bikes as “junk” as I bought an as new Reynolds Optima framed bike from this very forum recently: immaculate condition and very nice tubing.
Columbus alle Swiss bike rebuilt by me, it would be seen as junk by some, however in the day quality components that just needed a clean and service.

A Raleigh superbe, gave the old girl a fettle and fresh rim tape, tubes and tyres- rides beautifully

Junk to me is a box shifter that sells bikes that need constant adjustment and never stay in adjustment, currently have a horrid challenge folding bike with ZERO redeeming qualities that is a prime candidate for SCRAP.

There are many reasonable bicycles that a service and tyres far better than a £200 box shifter bike
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

jo' bo wrote: 15 May 2021, 10:55am

They are hybrids, do anything Badly sort of bike, having three that do three things badly seems to be over kill
You know nothing about these bikes - I can assure you they are great - I know a very experienced cyclist and mechanically inclined bloke whose favourite ride is a bike based on the frame two of my three are built from.
Purchase price of these 3 bikes was £30, £30, and £21 - then built up with quality appropriate bits and some help from the very nice and knowledgeable folks on here including of course the esteemed brucey. One of the bikes even sports wheels made by Colin.

Enjoy your special purpose bikes, which you also describe as junk.
Sweep
jo' bo

Post by jo' bo »

Sweep wrote: 15 May 2021, 11:12am

You know nothing about these bikes - I can assure you they are great - I know a very experienced cyclist and mechanically inclined bloke whose favourite ride is a bike based on the frame two of my three are built from.
Purchase price of these 3 bikes was £30, £30, and £21 - then built up with quality appropriate bits and some help from the very nice and knowledgeable folks on here including of course the esteemed brucey. One of the bikes even sports wheels made by Colin.

They are " junk " I picked them up for a song," broken" and then fixed them, I picked that era as they a) better than that which came before andb) not that far behind the current crop of superior bikes, in due course il progress to carbon when I can Pick them up for 60 quid or so

I've had bikes in every decade since the 1960s and nobody is telling me they havent got better decade after decade, coz they have

If you want to ride 90s bikes that your decision, but dont pretend they are inherently better
ClappedOut

Post by ClappedOut »

I’m amused, I saw a large gentlemen on I believe a SL7 and it’s amazing, the way it was used wasn’t.

His lack of fitness a £500 decathlon bike would have been just as capable.

When man and machine are combined into a human powered vehicle, putting a 20 stone jockey on a race winner would be another bad example.

If people are getting healthy and enjoying there bicycles, what does it matter the era if well maintained and suitable for their needs.

My dad better than yours type arguments show insecurity, your dad could well be better than mine as he is dead and gone. :lol:
jo' bo

Post by jo' bo »

ClappedOut wrote: 15 May 2021, 11:49am I’m amused, I saw a large gentlemen on I believe a SL7 and it’s amazing, the way it was used wasn’t.

His lack of fitness a £500 decathlon bike would have been just as capable.

When man and machine are combined into a human powered vehicle, putting a 20 stone jockey on a race winner would be another bad example.

If people are getting healthy and enjoying there bicycles, what does it matter the era if well maintained and suitable for their needs.

My dad better than yours type arguments show insecurity, your dad could well be better than mine as he is dead and gone. :lol:
That's a whole different debate, I admit to being endlessly amused by over weight people on super light (and exspensive bikes,) keep the money in your pocket and go on a flipping diet

" yes " said the portly guy " these shifter shaved 5 grams of the weight" well worth 200 quid??????
markjohnobrien

Post by markjohnobrien »

jo' bo wrote: 14 May 2021, 3:09pm
markjohnobrien wrote: 14 May 2021, 3:03pm I take exception to your categorising 90’s bikes as “junk” as I bought an as new Reynolds Optima framed bike from this very forum recently: immaculate condition and very nice tubing.
Well to be fair, they are not as junk as 80s bikes, so you've got a,win there.

I myself ride old junk, but I do this as I'm a cheap scate, rather than them having any inherent qualities, that mean they are worth more than 100 quid
You don’t even know what “Optima” is do you?
Raleigh Randonneur 708 (Magura hydraulic brakes); Blue Raleigh Randonneur 708 dynamo; Pearson Compass 631 tourer; Dawes One Down 631 dynamo winter bike;Raleigh Travelogue 708 tourer dynamo; Kona Sutra; Trek 920 disc Sram Force.
jo' bo

Post by jo' bo »

markjohnobrien wrote: 15 May 2021, 12:48pm
jo' bo wrote: 14 May 2021, 3:09pm
Well to be fair, they are not as junk as 80s bikes, so you've got a,win there.

I myself ride old junk, but I do this as I'm a cheap scate, rather than them having any inherent qualities, that mean they are worth more than 100 quid
You don’t even know what “Optima” is do you?
I'd guess its someone using hyperbole to sugest it's a quality product, that tends to be the way with these things

I dont really know how valve amps work, but I do know it's old tech

But go on tell me what exactly is optimum about optima

And if it's so good what exactly happened to it?
markjohnobrien

Post by markjohnobrien »

Sweep - I have every sympathy as your bikes are high quality custom builds with excellent tubing that would cost a fortune to build from new today with similar frame and components. Well done on having taste, knowledge, and discrimination - they are certainly not rubbish.
Raleigh Randonneur 708 (Magura hydraulic brakes); Blue Raleigh Randonneur 708 dynamo; Pearson Compass 631 tourer; Dawes One Down 631 dynamo winter bike;Raleigh Travelogue 708 tourer dynamo; Kona Sutra; Trek 920 disc Sram Force.
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

Stacks of elderly things that re better objectively than new ones.
Most mobile phones. They don't make a call any better, they are bigger and less mobile, they cost more, are more disposable. Need I say more? Cars. Cost more, don't last as long, more complex to mend. Still get you from a to b. Bikes. For commuting it is no competion.
It was a silly statement, subject in extreme.
PH

Post by PH »

One person's junk is another's treasure and all that. Doesn't matter what you ride if it serves your purpose it can't be junk, that's the definition :wink:
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

markjohnobrien wrote: 15 May 2021, 1:01pm

Sweep - I have every sympathy as your bikes are high quality custom builds with excellent tubing that would cost a fortune to build from new today with similar frame and components. Well done on having taste, knowledge, and discrimination - they are certainly not rubbish.
thanks mark - jo' bo (clue in the name perhaps) is clearly a wind up merchant - spends most of the time in the tea shop, seems to be inclined to ride with a large bag on each handlebar - I wouldn't say the bikes as built would cost a fortune but nice nonetheless - and apart from riding nicely look less nickable than many of the bikes parked round london - one of the reasons I am more inclined to do serious touring on them than my Hewitt. They are Ridgebacks - I couldn't help but note that Ridgeback went heavily towards ally soon after these tange steel bikes - then more recently returned to steel somewhat - and some of their more recent steel tourers look little different to me than my 90s hybrids :)
The paintwork on these older bikes is also way superior to that on many more recent bikes I have come across.
Sweep
jo' bo

Post by jo' bo »

mattsccm wrote: 15 May 2021, 1:06pm Stacks of elderly things that re better objectively than new ones.
Most mobile phones. They don't make a call any better, they are bigger and less mobile, they cost more, are more disposable. Need I say more? Cars. Cost more, don't last as long, more complex to mend. Still get you from a to b. Bikes. For commuting it is no competion.
It was a silly statement, subject in extreme.
Do mobile phones count as " elderly " , mobile phones rather than miniaturized computers do still exist.

It's not really a fair comparison to remove the computing power from a smart phone and say it's a bad phone,

After that you seem to be inventing history, 90s mobiles were huge, had terrible call making abilities and dreadful battery life, they were terrible, the whole tech savy world was climbing on wheelly bins and shouting cant hear you, I've only got one bar into the microphone

2000s mobiles were slightly better, at least smaller, then they got so small only a young child could use the buttons, they still had serious reception and battery issues they were also extremely exspensive, the original samsung folder was over a thousand quid just for a phone

If you want just a mobile they are available now, good reception and excelent battery life for 24.99