bike cleaning -- most efficient method for a lazy person

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Jdsk

Re: bike cleaning -- most efficient method for a lazy person

Post by Jdsk »

ClappedOut wrote: 14 May 2021, 8:47am
Jdsk wrote: 14 May 2021, 8:43am
ClappedOut wrote: 14 May 2021, 8:32am Citrus cleaner works well and cheap from local bargains store solvent free so safe on paint
Some "citrus cleaner"/ "citrus degreaser" products contain solvents, others don't.

eg:
https://hughcrane.co.uk/media/product/d ... CDG500.pdf
contains petrol-like stuff and alcohols.

But Bikehut Cycle Citrus Degreaser:
https://ulmysds.com/Admin/ViewDocument. ... ReportId=0
doesn't.
Solvent free-On the bottle I have
Yes, some "citrus cleaner"/ "citrus degreaser" products contain solvents, others don't.

Jonathan
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

RickH wrote: 13 May 2021, 8:27pm
Mick F wrote: 13 May 2021, 3:45pmbut you must use Screwfix degreaser mixed 50/50 with water.
What's wrong with using the Screwfix degreaser neat? That's what I've been doing.
Nothing I suppose, other than the hazardous nature of the product.
Read the label?

By diluting it, I would think you're reducing the toxicity and hazards by 50%.
I could be wrong of course, but it works perfectly diluted 50/50 and therefore will last twice as long.
Mick F. Cornwall
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Mick F wrote: 14 May 2021, 8:50am
RickH wrote: 13 May 2021, 8:27pm
Mick F wrote: 13 May 2021, 3:45pmbut you must use Screwfix degreaser mixed 50/50 with water.
What's wrong with using the Screwfix degreaser neat? That's what I've been doing.
Nothing I suppose, other than the hazardous nature of the product.
Read the label?

By diluting it, I would think you're reducing the toxicity and hazards by 50%.
I could be wrong of course, but it works perfectly diluted 50/50 and therefore will last twice as long.
If it's "No Nonsense Heavy Duty Degreaser"
https://www.screwfix.com/p/no-nonsense- ... 5ltr/88668
http://www.my-sds.co.uk/auto.aspx?accou ... 0001068832

it's a surfactant rather than a solvent. There has to be enough water for the micelles to form and enough to wash the product away. It would probably be hard to get so little water that it doesn't work but efficacy won't necessarily be improved by using a higher ratio to water.

I suggest doing the experiment with different ratios... and reporting back, please.

Jonathan
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Yes, the No Nonsense Degreaser.

It works well neat in a dish with sprockets in (for instance). The grease dissolves nicely.
Not tried it in a jar with the chain in for a good shoogling yet. The Cyclone with 50/50 in it seems to have negated that whole idea.

It's a five minute job once you've got the stuff to hand. If you do the chain frequently enough, you can get two cleanings out of one fill.

Added bonus for this stuff is how the Cyclone is spotlessly clean after a rinse out with plain water, which certainly isn't the case with Gunk or white sprit.
Mick F. Cornwall
on6702

Post by on6702 »

wow, 33 posts in 24 hours on bike cleaning !
Thanks for all the comments, clearly people like their bikes to be clean.

Key take home messages so far that I will act on....
- buy some screwfix degreaser (works well, is water soluble and cheap !)
- forget about ultrasonic cleaners
- try said screwfix degreaser with a rag and spray bottle first and perhaps progress to the park chain brush thing
- offer my children pocket money to clean my bike

given that my present chain is not only filthy but also worn I will out of interest replace it with a KMC EPT chain rather than the usual shimano 8-speed one I buy to see how well it resists corrosion.

Oliver
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Hopefully all the cleaners and solvents are disposed of carefully and not just poured down the drain.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Screwfix No Nonsense is water soluble and disposable with copious quantities of water.
SECTION 13: Disposal considerations
· 13.1 Waste treatment methods · Recommendation
Small amounts may be diluted with plenty of water and washed away. Dispose of bigger amounts in accordance with Local Authority requirements.
Mick F. Cornwall
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

TheBomber wrote: 14 May 2021, 7:27amNobody seems to have commented on the tooth brushes - not particularly useful unless you’re cleaning something that has been disassembled.
I use a toothbrush on the bike and for lots of other cleaning.

And a dissection probe for decrudding the derailer and jockey wheels.

Jonathan

PS: And toothpaste is an excellent fine abrasive.
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

on6702 wrote: 13 May 2021, 12:07pm Ok, a confession first..... given its commuting activities all year round my bike gets pretty filthy despite having mudguards and a long chain-ring guard. I know that I should clean it more often but given the mess and inconvenience, it's not happening as often as it should !
At present I don't have any specific tools (although I do have a repair stand) and it's a case of old toothbrushes, rags and hot soapy water and a bit of white spirit or bio degreaser. The thing I struggle with most is cleaning the drive train as it's such a fiddle. Hence, I'm trying to find ways of making it a bit easier and quicker and thought I'd tap into the collective wisdom of the forum.

Present approach: wait until I can't bear it any longer and then remove chain (via a quick link) and place it an old plastic milk bottle with a little bit of white spirit or degreaser and shake vigorously, then dry and relubricate. Clean up cassette, chain rings and FD and RD with a tooth brush and degreaser or soapy water.

Questions for forum :
1) any these clamp on plastic chain cleaner contraptions with rotating brushes any good i.e. are they quick, effective and convenient or are they a waste of money ?
2) what's the verdict on ultrasonic cleaners? If they work amazingly well for chains and cassettes I might consider one given the lack of mess but I'm a bit doubtful about their abilities and of course everything has to get taken off the bike and they are quite expensive.
3) any convenient tricks that people have discovered for cleaning ?

Thanks in advance

Oliver
Very simple: don't bother.

As long as its lubed it'll be fine. Replace chain as required, cassette, chainrings and jockey wheels likewise but hopefully less frequently.

If you're commuting in all weathers, unless you literally clean it every ride, it'll instantly go back to mucky and make no difference to wear.
borisface

Post by borisface »

Move abroad. Since I moved to Portugal 8 years ago I seldom have to clean my bike. Its not muddy here and most of the trees are evergreen so we don't have that leaf crud that accumulates in the autumn or salt on the roads in the winter. When I do clean my bike I just use a couple of baby wipes takes 2 minutes, maybe once a month: mainly removing dust. Oh yeah and the roads are very smooth, I know of one pot hole. Also drivers (when you see them) are considerate - they normally wave when they pass and sometimes will stop and give you fruit. Sorry to rub it in.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

One thing I've done on tour after muck build-up and a particularly "gritty" day is to buy a spray can of WD40 in a supermarket and get some old newspaper from the camp site and "spray wash" the chain on the bike. Not a proper clean but without any flashy degreasers, etc. available it helps (a lot) although wasteful, etc.

On occasions where destination campsite local town has bike shop I've always found every bike shop (except in Groningen) very helpful, always stopping whatever they are in the middle of to clean my chain/cassette/etc. and never wanting to be paid (sometimes when payment offered just "we have a tip jar on the counter"). Best to arrive at bike shop with loaded panniers ... (for obvious reasons).

That is Europe experience, not toured in UK so no experience here.

Ian
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

Lazy cleaning - i like the idea!

I use various Muck Off or similar cleaners for the drivetrain and frame - quick spray of the drivetrain/rest of bike, leave couple of minutes, rinse off, allow to air dry then re-lube as necessary. No removing parts or fancy gizmos required.

If i want a more thorough job and the bike all sparkly ie my best bike, its a couple of hours fettling by hand - nothing gets a chance to get too grunged as its done pretty much every ride.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
MrP

Post by MrP »

Ultrasonic cleaners work very well and bring cassettes up to looking new in 30-40 minutes.
I bought mine for a different purpose, I wouldn't invest just for cleaning bicycle components, which of course, also need to be removed beforehand. Very useful tool to have on the shelf though.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

You can clean a cassette in FIVE minutes with a cloth and some WD40.
Mick F. Cornwall
DaveReading

Post by DaveReading »

Mick F wrote: 15 May 2021, 8:02amYou can clean a cassette in FIVE minutes with a cloth and some WD40.
Plus the other essential ingredient - elbow grease.