bike cleaning -- most efficient method for a lazy person

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
on6702

bike cleaning -- most efficient method for a lazy person

Post by on6702 »

Ok, a confession first..... given its commuting activities all year round my bike gets pretty filthy despite having mudguards and a long chain-ring guard. I know that I should clean it more often but given the mess and inconvenience, it's not happening as often as it should !
At present I don't have any specific tools (although I do have a repair stand) and it's a case of old toothbrushes, rags and hot soapy water and a bit of white spirit or bio degreaser. The thing I struggle with most is cleaning the drive train as it's such a fiddle. Hence, I'm trying to find ways of making it a bit easier and quicker and thought I'd tap into the collective wisdom of the forum.

Present approach: wait until I can't bear it any longer and then remove chain (via a quick link) and place it an old plastic milk bottle with a little bit of white spirit or degreaser and shake vigorously, then dry and relubricate. Clean up cassette, chain rings and FD and RD with a tooth brush and degreaser or soapy water.

Questions for forum :
1) any these clamp on plastic chain cleaner contraptions with rotating brushes any good i.e. are they quick, effective and convenient or are they a waste of money ?
2) what's the verdict on ultrasonic cleaners? If they work amazingly well for chains and cassettes I might consider one given the lack of mess but I'm a bit doubtful about their abilities and of course everything has to get taken off the bike and they are quite expensive.
3) any convenient tricks that people have discovered for cleaning ?

Thanks in advance

Oliver
fastpedaller

Re: bike cleaning -- most efficient method for a lazy person

Post by fastpedaller »

You may get conflicting views from others here of course :lol: , but I've found the 'chaincleaner and brushes' gadgets to be worse than useless as they introduce a lot of solvent which doesn't (easily) dry out on the bike, causing lots of wear despite lubrication being added.
My method (for what it's worth). chain removed via quick link, put in jar containing paraffin, good shake and leave several minutes, good shake again. Put clean paraffin in jar and repeat. Hang chain on a nail to dry for several hours. Your jar of (not too mucky) paraffin is ready for the next clean in a few weeks. After chain is dry, replace on bike and lube.
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

My much used-and-abused Brompton gets the brush-off - literally! - about once every three months, when I use a semi-stiff brush to get rid of all the dried mud, then wipe it over with a damp cloth & check the brake-blocks etc for wear. (In between these sessions, I oil the chain probably once a month, from the little drip bottle that lives with the bike.)
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
slowster

Post by slowster »

I would suggest a hub gear and a Hebie Chainglider.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

1. I tried one years ago thought it a waste of time.
2. I have one it will clean things but the whole operation is time consuming
3 For nearly 3 years now I’ve been doing this: I make a solution of 4 parts white spirit with 1 part chainsaw chain oil. After most rides I, with a traditional dropper bottle, drop the solution on the inside of the chain while turning the pedals backwards. Leave it for a minute or two or sometimes next day and then wipe the chain with a rag.
It’s become habit now and only takes a few minutes. That’s the only lubrications the chain gets and I think it’s more than a coincidence I haven’t had to buy a new chain for a few years.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Eyebrox

Post by Eyebrox »

Efficient yes but most ideas here wouldn't fit the "lazy person" tag.
I remove the chain using the quick link. Run it through a rag. Leave it in a jar with half an inch of GT85 after shaking well. Run the chain back through the rag and replace on the bike. A skoosh of teflon aerosol lube will finish the job. No degreaser to strip out the oil in the depths of the chain. And no thick coating of filthy oil to mark your clothes.
mig

Post by mig »

cleaning a bike often gives opportunity to spot things going wrong before they become a problem on the road - worn blocks, splitting rims, foreign bodies working into tyres, chain links going awry, cables fraying.

very often it is time well spent despite the inconvenience and repays in spades.
Paradiddle

Post by Paradiddle »

I used to also remove the chain and let it soak in a degreaser while I brush the rest of the drivetrain. However the degreaser I used wasn't that great and it took ages to wash the stuff off the chain.

Considered one of those chain cleaners with the rotating brushes but in the end went with the Fenwicks foaming chain cleaner, chain sponge and brush. Just spray the stuff all over the drivetrain, leave for a few mins and then use the sponge and brush to get the muck off it. Don't know about lazy but it works well for me and seems to be the most efficient way to the drivetrain. If I'm feeling extra thorough I would use a toothpick to push out any gummed up lube from between the chains.

I'd then spray the whole thing down with water, wipe down and dry. Finish off with GT85.
iandusud

Post by iandusud »

I actually quite like the chain degreasing contraption with the rotating brushes. However I think using white spirit or other solvents in it is too aggressive and will strip the chain of all lubricant, which in turn will necessitate very thorough lubing afterwards. I now use a little Screwfix degreaser which is water soluble and therefore the chain can be rinsed off with water after cleaning. I then wipe it dry with a rag and apply my favourite lube. I don't do this every time I clean the chain, probably once every three times. The other times I just put a bit of white spirit or degreaser on a rag and run the chain through it clean off the worst of the muck and relube.
freeflow

Post by freeflow »

For the chain I would suggest switching to KMC ept coated chains and then using a hot wax lubricant. To be efficient, you need at least two chains - one on the bike and one being cleaned/ready to use. If you can bear it, invest in some connex quicklinks as they do not require a tool to break the chain. Swap the in-use chain for the cleaned chain after 200-300km use or whenever your road/riding conditions dictate. You will need to invest in a £10 small slow cooker and around £25 for the hotwax.

For the dirty chain, wipe with a cloth or paper towels to remove excess shed wax and dirt. Rinse under a cold tap and shake to remove water. Pop straight into the hot wax.

For the rest, a low powered jet washer used very very carefully will remove the worst of the grime (but with hot wax lube there is very little mess on the drive chain components so a much easier cleaning task anyway). Every so often, after a jet wash, go over the bike with some baby wipes.

Total time to clean up the bike should be less than 10 minutes.

You will need to thoroughly degrease chains before they are first used.
slowster

Post by slowster »

Yesterday I did my usual 25 mile route on tracks in spitting rain. At the end I gave the chain the same treatment I usually give it: none. Since the chain was fitted I've lubricated it precisely once after it had done about 1,500 miles, and when I removed the Chainglider the chain was as clean as the day I fitted it.

Sometimes in winter when the tracks are muddy, the rear wheel will deposit the odd lump of mud on the top of the Chainglider. Once the mud has completely dried I just brush it off.

Everyone else's suggestions on this thread sound to me like far too much bother for a commuting bike.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

on6702 wrote: 13 May 2021, 12:07pm 1) any these clamp on plastic chain cleaner contraptions with rotating brushes any good i.e. are they quick, effective and convenient or are they a waste of money ?
2) what's the verdict on ultrasonic cleaners?
1. The Parktool Cyclone clamp-on chain cleaner is absolutely brilliant ............ but you must use Screwfix degreaser mixed 50/50 with water.
Read my posts on the subject, and I'm a Chain Cleaner Expert.
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=129294
You need to read all of it, but the telling page is Page 7.

2. I bought one, and it's terrible and a waste of money despite being a Chain Cleaner Expert. :D
Mick F. Cornwall
Paradiddle

Post by Paradiddle »

slowster wrote: 13 May 2021, 3:23pm Yesterday I did my usual 25 mile route on tracks in spitting rain. At the end I gave the chain the same treatment I usually give it: none. Since the chain was fitted I've lubricated it precisely once after it had done about 1,500 miles, and when I removed the Chainglider the chain was as clean as the day I fitted it.

Sometimes in winter when the tracks are muddy, the rear wheel will deposit the odd lump of mud on the top of the Chainglider. Once the mud has completely dried I just brush it off.

Everyone else's suggestions on this thread sound to me like far too much bother for a commuting bike.
What lube do you use? I feel like the wet lube I use lasts a while in the rain but on dry days attracts dust and dirt like nothing else. It's fine to ride but after a few months it would gum up and actually affect the drivetrain.
Jupestar

Post by Jupestar »

1) absolutely excellent (on my singlespeed bike). On my cassette bike. its still really good, but i still need to take the cassette off, and chain ring. (i'm pretty meticulous on the cleaning).
2) no idea.
3) I have a cassette which comes fully apart. not sure i'll ever find another one so i'm really looking after it!
Jupestar

Post by Jupestar »

Mick F wrote: 13 May 2021, 3:45pm

1. The Parktool Cyclone clamp-on chain cleaner is absolutely brilliant ............ but you must use Screwfix degreaser mixed 50/50 with water.
Read my posts on the subject, and I'm a Chain Cleaner Expert.
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=129294
You need to read all of it, but the telling page is Page 7.
I read this, i brought this. Brilliant.