Campagnolo/Miche 11 Speed Cassette on a 10 Speed Free Wheel

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
hondated

Re: Campagnolo/Miche 11 Speed Cassette on a 10 Speed Free Wheel

Post by hondated »

Well what a palaver that was. Removed cassette from wheel of cause that was easy but I didnt make a note of where spacers were fitted. Particularly the yellow one.Well you can see from the photos I was right Camp sprockets do not fit onto a Miche hub.Bianchi definitely cut costs at that time and even back then it cost me a £1000.
Even refitting the sprockets was a nightmare. Give me Shimano every time.
I will just work out what gearing I need a buy the sprockets. Thanks everyone.
20210516_124503.jpg
20210516_124600.jpg
hondated

Post by hondated »

Just caught up with posters after my message to Mick.So thanks again to all you that posted after that.
I must admit I am still flummoxed as what you all say makes sense but that said it doesn't answer what I have sent photos on.
Campag sprockets will not fit that spine and it cannot be a spline that takes a Shimano cassette as the spacing would be wrong.
My question rear gearing was asked because I know with Shimano that you can only vary the number of teeth on a sprocket by a small amount and I wondered whether that is the sane with Campag.
pq

Post by pq »

No, that's not right. You absolutely can have a Shimano spline with campag spacing - in fact my tourer has that. I've never heard of a new bike being supplied that way, but it is possible. So all you need to do is buy a 29 sprocket to fit the splines you have and re-arrange the cassette to suit. It's not difficult, and you don't need to worry about spacing becasue it's already correct.
One link to your website is enough. G
pq

Post by pq »

I've just noticed that that is a Campag spline because one of the ridges is stepped. So buy a 29T Miche Campag sprocket and you'll be fine.
One link to your website is enough. G
slowster

Post by slowster »

hondated wrote: 16 May 2021, 2:23pm Well you can see from the photos I was right Camp sprockets do not fit onto a Miche hub.
I cannot see that. I see a Campagnolo spline pattern freehub, and in the other photograph a Campagnolo sprocket and a Miche sprocket. It's not evident to me simply from those two photographs that the Campagnolo sprocket will not fit on the freehub.
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

The Miche sprocket you have pictured is marked M. These are 8/9 speed sprockets to fit Miche 8 or 9 speed hubs (I think they may also have fitted 8 speed Campag. The Campag sprocket you have pictured is more recent which has a different spline pattern, so it is no surprise it doesn't fit.

Mixing Shimano SPLINED freehubs with Campag SPACED sprockets is easy. I have several machines running 8 and 10 speed doing just this. Shimano hubs with all Campag gear mechs and shifters. Buy appropriately splined spockets and Campg width spacers (from Miche) and it all works fine.
Valbrona

Post by Valbrona »

I believe Interlock Racing Design do Campag 10 with large sprockets.
I should coco.
hondated

Post by hondated »

slowster wrote: 16 May 2021, 3:31pm
hondated wrote: 16 May 2021, 2:23pm Well you can see from the photos I was right Camp sprockets do not fit onto a Miche hub.
I cannot see that. I see a Campagnolo spline pattern freehub, and in the other photograph a Campagnolo sprocket and a Miche sprocket. It's not evident to me simply from those two photographs that the Campagnolo sprocket will not fit on the freehub.
Well you can take it from me that it doesn't.
hondated

Post by hondated »

Valbrona wrote: 16 May 2021, 3:41pm I believe Interlock Racing Design do Campag 10 with large sprockets.
Thank you.
hondated

Post by hondated »

tatanab wrote: 16 May 2021, 3:34pm The Miche sprocket you have pictured is marked M. These are 8/9 speed sprockets to fit Miche 8 or 9 speed hubs (I think they may also have fitted 8 speed Campag. The Campag sprocket you have pictured is more recent which has a different spline pattern, so it is no surprise it doesn't fit.

Mixing Shimano SPLINED freehubs with Campag SPACED sprockets is easy. I have several machines running 8 and 10 speed doing just this. Shimano hubs with all Campag gear mechs and shifters. Buy appropriately splined spockets and Campg width spacers (from Miche) and it all works fine.
It's interesting what you say about 8/9 speed sprockets as I bought the bike brand new fronm Geoffrey Butler ( now closed ) Croydon.
The beauty 9f what you say is I have a box ful of Shimano sprockets so I will give it a try.
hondated

Post by hondated »

pq wrote: 16 May 2021, 3:09pm I've just noticed that that is a Campag spline because one of the ridges is stepped. So buy a 29T Miche Campag sprocket and you'll be fine.
With respect PQ the point I made in my OP was that they are like hens teeth to get hold of. But that said as I have written I will dig out my box of shimano sprockets later and see whether they fit as you & others have suggested.
Having just watched the Giro I really only need the youth and legs of Bernal. :lol:
slowster

Post by slowster »

It looks to me as if the freehub might be a 9 speed Campagnolo spline pattern: it looks like the 9 speed example shown here: https://branfordbike.com/new-page-1.
hondated

Post by hondated »

Just been out to my box of sprockets
The one on the top is Miche the other Shimano.
The free wheel is Miche just like Campag the Shimano will not fit it.
20210516_124600.jpg
20210516_161042.jpg
Given by the advice and views expressed I am inclined to think that Bianchi built this has a budget bike, it's an ML3, and that the advice offered is not necessarily wrong but the parts Bianchi have fitted ie wheels & hubs are just meant to be disposable. They're heavy and there is no way on earth you could ever remove the free wheel believe me I have tried. If I hadn't bought it from Butlers I would say it's a fake. My Gid is not even Celeste but Grey.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

I know this might be 'kin obvious but have you tried flipping the Campag sprocket?
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
hondated

Post by hondated »

No not obvious to me foxyrider but I wiĺl give it a go tomorrow.
Aren't' the teeth orientated to work only one way as the back of the sprockets are just flat