What did you do to your bike today

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
nez

Re: What did you do to your bike today

Post by nez »

Swapped saddles around between bikes, which means a lot of meticulous measuring, of course. I am coming to the conclusion I need another B17, which is an expensive discovery. I remember buying one in the 60s for £9, which suggests they haven't gone up as much as I thought. Measured tyre sizes between bikes too, and I realise my old Super Galaxy has absolutely enormous tyre clearance.
cyclop

Post by cyclop »

Taped and zip tied a bottle cage to the top tube of my carbon road bike.This arrangement works well on my Marin Rift zone which has threaded fittings for one.Works great........if you,re sat down,doesn,t work at all if you try to honk.Took bottle cage off again.It only works on the marin because the legs are further apart and,being a full susser,I never get out the saddle. :?
ClappedOut

Post by ClappedOut »

nez wrote: 31 May 2021, 9:42pm Swapped saddles around between bikes, which means a lot of meticulous measuring, of course. I am coming to the conclusion I need another B17, which is an expensive discovery. I remember buying one in the 60s for £9, which suggests they haven't gone up as much as I thought. Measured tyre sizes between bikes too, and I realise my old Super Galaxy has absolutely enormous tyre clearance.
I like brooks B17 and 26 miles later so does my backside.
I've a B66 I like slightly more on a bike I found harsh before.

Super Galaxy are you upping tyre size? Or new mudguards etc?
panda

Post by panda »

Tweaked the cable barrel adjuster for the rear mech on my wife's bike.

A lucky first attempt ... two seconds of adjustment and a few hundred seconds of testing.
nez

Post by nez »

ClappedOut wrote: 31 May 2021, 10:22pm
nez wrote: 31 May 2021, 9:42pm Swapped saddles around between bikes, which means a lot of meticulous measuring, of course. I am coming to the conclusion I need another B17, which is an expensive discovery. I remember buying one in the 60s for £9, which suggests they haven't gone up as much as I thought. Measured tyre sizes between bikes too, and I realise my old Super Galaxy has absolutely enormous tyre clearance.
I like brooks B17 and 26 miles later so does my backside.
I've a B66 I like slightly more on a bike I found harsh before.

Super Galaxy are you upping tyre size? Or new mudguards etc?
No, I have a Spec Roubaix which I wanted to swap tyres on and since I had both bikes out (to measure my saddle placements) I decided to measure the Super Galaxy's stay and fork clearance for tyres. Blimey, you could easily fit 50mm tyres on it! Of course bikes dotted around the garden led to the inevitable 'why do you need all those bikes?' from my wife. And of course I can't really justify it. But I like them.
Ivorcadaver

Post by Ivorcadaver »

Went to Tesco (other supermarkets are available), loaded the Ortlieb panniers with a weekly shop (I’m guessing I was near the 25kg limit of the rear rack) and cycled the 3 miles home very slowly (eggs fully intact). Tesco car park rammed as usual. Saw one other cyclist (head down, lycra clad); all a bit depressing really, not much sustainable transport evident.
ClappedOut

Post by ClappedOut »

Ivorcadaver wrote: 1 Jun 2021, 7:18pm Went to Tesco (other supermarkets are available), loaded the Ortlieb panniers with a weekly shop (I’m guessing I was near the 25kg limit of the rear rack) and cycled the 3 miles home very slowly (eggs fully intact). Tesco car park rammed as usual. Saw one other cyclist (head down, lycra clad); all a bit depressing really, not much sustainable transport evident.
8) Well done as eggs not the easiest to transport.

I made an adjustment to the carradice panniers after admitting to myself that two sets of panniers and one rider is just lazy and second set money I don’t need to spend.

Broke my bell today so when cooler will pull it apart and if not easy fix an excuse for a nicer new one.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Cleaned the chain, out in the sunshine.

Used the Cyclone again with Screwfix No nonsense degreaser mixed 50/50 with water.
Moulton's chain was manky again - done maybe 50miles since the last time - and five minutes later, Moulton has a spotlessly clean chain again.

Cyclone rinsed out and washed in hot soapy water and put out to dry on the outside bench to dry in the sunshine.
Cyclone has been used maybe 30 times since new. Possibly 50 times. It's so easy and simple, I don't bother recording when I do it.
IMG_0600.jpg
IMG_0601.jpg
Mick F. Cornwall
Richard of York

Post by Richard of York »

Removed rear mech cable outer on son's old Spec Allez, badly frayed. It's his commute work horse so takes all year round abuse. Shops tomorrow for replacement cable set. He's "borrowed" one of my bikes and I don't want him to get used to it. 😂
gregoryoftours

Post by gregoryoftours »

ClappedOut wrote: 1 Jun 2021, 7:23pm
Ivorcadaver wrote: 1 Jun 2021, 7:18pm Went to Tesco (other supermarkets are available), loaded the Ortlieb panniers with a weekly shop (I’m guessing I was near the 25kg limit of the rear rack) and cycled the 3 miles home very slowly (eggs fully intact).
8) Well done as eggs not the easiest to transport.
I don't buy eggs much but don't get me started on bananas. It's pretty rare that a couple aren't turned to mush on the way home in a pannier.