SHIMANO Internal Geared Hub Nexus 5-speed for E-Bikes

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
chesini

SHIMANO Internal Geared Hub Nexus 5-speed for E-Bikes

Post by chesini »

Does anyone have experience with the SHIMANO Internal Geared Hub Nexus 5-speed for E-Bikes ? It was specially designed for E-bikes with higher torques e.g. Bosch Power Line. The 5-speed apparently withstands better the higher torques than the Nexus 8.

Regards
PT1029

Re: SHIMANO Internal Geared Hub Nexus 5-speed for E-Bikes

Post by PT1029 »

As far as I know, any 5 speed Shimano hub gear (E bike or not) is like hen's teeth in this country. I have seen (literally) 1 or 2 over the years, and I see a lot of bikes at work. The ones I saw were imported by their foreign owners who came here to work/study.
Some Shimano components never get/got imported by the UK importer (Madison). If you found one here, you probably would net get spares for it unless:
They were the same part as another imported hub model.
You obtained spares from abroad (wish you luck if from the EU, there is a long thread on this forum somewhere....).
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

PT1029 wrote: 17 May 2021, 8:33am You obtained spares from abroad (wish you luck if from the EU, there is a long thread on this forum somewhere....).
Over here:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=142589

Jonathan
zenitb

Post by zenitb »

Intersting chesini...looks like you mean this one..
Screenshot_2021-05-17-11-25-05.png
https://bike.shimano.com/en-EU/product/ ... 00-5D.html

I am starting to eye up e-bike components for touring use now ...I have "e-bike certified" tyres on my tandem so this is interesting. I am presuming its heavier...with bigger teeth etc..?
slowster

Post by slowster »

zenitb wrote: 17 May 2021, 11:28am I am starting to eye up e-bike components for touring use now ...I have "e-bike certified" tyres on my tandem so this is interesting. I am presuming its heavier...with bigger teeth etc..?
If the gearing is as shown in the link below, it doesn't look very suitable for loaded touring or a tandem. According to page 8 of the dealer's manual on Shimano's website the recommended gearing ratio is 1.4:1 on a 700C wheel, and the lowest 'permitted' gearing combination of a 38t chainring and 30t sprocket (1.27:1) would give a bottom gear of only 35 inches.

http://www.gear-calculator.com/?GR=SN5E ... gearInches
zenitb

Post by zenitb »

slowster wrote: 17 May 2021, 4:33pm
zenitb wrote: 17 May 2021, 11:28am I am starting to eye up e-bike components for touring use now ...I have "e-bike certified" tyres on my tandem so this is interesting. I am presuming its heavier...with bigger teeth etc..?
If the gearing is as shown in the link below, it doesn't look very suitable for loaded touring or a tandem. According to page 8 of the dealer's manual on Shimano's website the recommended gearing ratio is 1.4:1 on a 700C wheel, and the lowest 'permitted' gearing combination of a 38t chainring and 30t sprocket (1.27:1) would give a bottom gear of only 35 inches.

http://www.gear-calculator.com/?GR=SN5E ... gearInches
yes agreed (great gear table BTW slowster) although I would not need the high end gears there and I assume if you are not using an actual motor you can disregard Shimano's comments about minimum ratios etc.. (I suspect I have already done that on my current Nexus 8 where I use a small chainwheel with a large sprocket :-) )

This comes on the heels of Shimano's new 11 speed derailleur Linkglide groupset - which is supposed to be a hard wearing groupset suitable for e-bikes ..

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=145562

Certainly worth keeping an eye on Shimano gear releases in this area I think, certainly for people interested re puprosing e-bike/harder wearing components for tandems, cycle camping etc ... it makes a change from the Shimano (and the cycling press) obsession with racing and gram shaving - at the expense of cost and fragility.
slowster

Post by slowster »

zenitb wrote: 18 May 2021, 12:23am I would not need the high end gears there and I assume if you are not using an actual motor you can disregard Shimano's comments about minimum ratios etc.. (I suspect I have already done that on my current Nexus 8 where I use a small chainwheel with a large sprocket :-) )

This comes on the heels of Shimano's new 11 speed derailleur Linkglide groupset - which is supposed to be a hard wearing groupset suitable for e-bikes ..

Certainly worth keeping an eye on Shimano gear releases in this area I think, certainly for people interested re puprosing e-bike/harder wearing components for tandems, cycle camping etc ... it makes a change from the Shimano (and the cycling press) obsession with racing and gram shaving - at the expense of cost and fragility.
The same thought occurred to me that without the motor it might be possible to lower the gearing further than 1.27:1, but if you play around with the gear calculator you can see that it would probably need a very small front chainring, e.g. 26t for 24 inch bottom or 22t for 20 inches. What combination do you use on your Nexus 8?
Bonzo Banana

Post by Bonzo Banana »

chesini wrote: 16 May 2021, 5:46pm Does anyone have experience with the SHIMANO Internal Geared Hub Nexus 5-speed for E-Bikes ? It was specially designed for E-bikes with higher torques e.g. Bosch Power Line. The 5-speed apparently withstands better the higher torques than the Nexus 8.

Regards
I thought I'd just point out designed for mid-drive motors because hub motors actually take a huge amount of strain and wear off the chain. You could have a Nexus 8 and a front hub motor like a Swytch kit or any front hub motor without any issues and with much extended lifespan of the Nexus 8. The issue is mid-drive motors put their power through the chain with the rider output where as hub motors divide that power between the motor and the rider/gearing system.

Also with the motor (which ever type) providing soo much power to assist, couldn't you get away with a classic 3 speed hub? They are super strong and durable because of their simple design. Many people have single speed ebikes with hub motors because the motor negates the need for gears.
Last edited by Bonzo Banana on 20 May 2021, 2:22pm, edited 1 time in total.
Greystoke

Post by Greystoke »

This hub gears up. Direct drive is 1st gear
Sid Aluminium

Post by Sid Aluminium »

chesini wrote: 16 May 2021, 5:46pmDoes anyone have experience with the SHIMANO Internal Geared Hub Nexus 5-speed for E-Bikes ?
No, but I've got a couple of Sturmey-Archer RX-RF5 Heavy Duty hubs*. Nice hubs. Easy to build into a wheel, easy to adjust and set up, never missed a shift. Massive things with 'inside the dropouts' rotary shifting in beautifully polished hubshells. Mine are freewheel ("F") versions for rim brakes, other models are available for disc brakes or come with coaster brakes or the two traditional sizes of drum brakes (70mm & 90mm).

The Sturmey-Archer is geared .64 - .80 - 1.00 - 1.25 - 1.56 (The Shimano is geared 'all up' 1.0 - 1.28 - 1.62 - 2.09 - 2.63)

This Sturmey hub uses unique internal diameter sprockets, available in 16T - 22T.

*These are entirely different hubs than the SRF5(W), SRF5, SRF5 ball locking, Summit, Sprinter, 5 STar, S5-2, S5-1 and S5 hubs.
zenitb

Post by zenitb »

slowster wrote: 18 May 2021, 8:04am
zenitb wrote: 18 May 2021, 12:23am I would not need the high end gears there and I assume if you are not using an actual motor you can disregard Shimano's comments about minimum ratios etc.. (I suspect I have already done that on my current Nexus 8 where I use a small chainwheel with a large sprocket :-) )

The same thought occurred to me that without the motor it might be possible to lower the gearing further than 1.27:1, but if you play around with the gear calculator you can see that it would probably need a very small front chainring, e.g. 26t for 24 inch bottom or 22t for 20 inches. What combination do you use on your Nexus 8?
Slowster I went for a 40 tooth chainring with a 23 tooth sproket. I have had a go with the gear calculator so hopefully this shows it

http://www.gear-calculator.com/?GR=SNI8 ... gearInches

I originally bought this bike on the cycle to work scheme as a dedicated BELT DRIVE commuter bike (I had/still have another touring bike). When the belt failed early in its career (twice) I decided to to go for a conventional chain drive, but with an eye to my impeding retirement I thought gearing it down a bit might make it more useful for touring (given I could see the point where I would not be commuting any more). Could this be a Rohloff tourer on a budget ? That said I have not actually done any tours on it yet but hopefully when lockdown eases I will give it a go....

(The actual bike is a Cube Travel Pro - the "Travel" in the name sounds hopeful!!)
Cube Travel Pro - 40x13 on Nexus 8 gearing - in use as a commuter bike
Cube Travel Pro - 40x13 on Nexus 8 gearing - in use as a commuter bike
The gear range I have selected may not be quite low enough for all scenarios/fully loaded touring (my 3 x 8 derailleur tourer certainly has a better range) but it sure seems low when pedaling it and the tours I go on are generally in flatter terrain (eg VeloOddessy) - I could probably just stand on the pedals or even walk up the odd hill that is truly steep. I really didn't want to go much below an 80 inch top gear though since I thought that could get a bit spinny for my old legs on flat/tailwind sections? Currently I hit top just cycling into town!!!

I would be interested to hear what you and other people think of this idea Slowster ...
slowster

Post by slowster »

I like that. A lot. I don't know enough about hub gears to comment on the set up, but that is just what I would like for everyday riding around on tracks.
Greystoke

Post by Greystoke »

Sid
Ref the SA 5 speed, there's been much debate over the gear shifter quality, which one do you use and has it proved reliable?
zenitb

RX-RF5

Post by zenitb »

Sid Aluminium wrote: 18 May 2021, 3:02pm
chesini wrote: 16 May 2021, 5:46pmDoes anyone have experience with the SHIMANO Internal Geared Hub Nexus 5-speed for E-Bikes ?
No, but I've got a couple of Sturmey-Archer RX-RF5 Heavy Duty hubs*. Nice hubs. Easy to build into a wheel, easy to adjust and set up, never missed a shift. Massive things with 'inside the dropouts' rotary shifting in beautifully polished hubshells. Mine are freewheel ("F") versions for rim brakes, other models are available for disc brakes or come with coaster brakes or the two traditional sizes of drum brakes (70mm & 90mm).

The Sturmey-Archer is geared .64 - .80 - 1.00 - 1.25 - 1.56 (The Shimano is geared 'all up' 1.0 - 1.28 - 1.62 - 2.09 - 2.63)

This Sturmey hub uses unique internal diameter sprockets, available in 16T - 22T.

*These are entirely different hubs than the SRF5(W), SRF5, SRF5 ball locking, Summit, Sprinter, 5 STar, S5-2, S5-1 and S5 hubs.
Sid these look CHUNKY !!!
RX-RF5
RX-RF5
https://www.sturmey-archer.com/en/produ ... ail/rx-rf5

At 4.3lbs (2kg) in weight these look like durability has been a priority. Maybe Shimano's hubs are rival releases .. in case SA steals the market ?
Greystoke

Post by Greystoke »

I suspect the Shimano hub is aimed at small wheeled bikes as it is geared up to gain a proper top gear on small wheel bikes....the Sturmey Archer hub is geared normally so would suit normal sized wheels.