Silca Rises from the Dead

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
steveal

Silca Rises from the Dead

Post by steveal »

I managed to drop my old Silca pump and damage the gauge (compounded by trying to 'fix' it).
210513-151242-2.jpg
I spent days researching a replacement, without finding anything at a sensible price. The price of a replacement Silca gauge is ridiculous.
My Joe Blow Max is fine when pumping tyres from flat, but when I want to add a couple of psi to my 40mm tyres, I need about 1/3rd of a stroke - not ideal.

It then occurred to me that a gauge is a gauge. £7.50 from the Bay (plus £2.25 for a 1/4"BSP to 1/8"BSP adapter) and I had a readable gauge with a sensible pressure range for my gravel tyres.
210516-085050-2.jpg
I then replaced my worn Superchuck with a Harame copy £13.28
210516-091200-2.jpg
Then things got completely out of hand and I dug out my dad's old wood lathe, and attempted a laminated handle (Beech/Cuban Mahogany/English oak for anyone interested...)
210516-085209-2.jpg
Bit of assembly and the job was done
210516-093321-2.jpg
Folks, it works superbly!
ClappedOut

Re: Silca Rises from the Dead

Post by ClappedOut »

Looks smart
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Very cool - I like :-)
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
2_i

Post by 2_i »

Did the thread of the replacement gauge fit fine? I replaced the gauge in my Zefal Husky with the digital one by Lezyne, but I had to juggle quite a bit with the threads. I also equipped the Husky with a quick release pneumatic coupler, so I can swap heads in a snap.
TheBomber

Post by TheBomber »

Excellent job. I have the same model so you’ve started me thinking about changing the gauge too - as my days of pumping TT tyres up to 10 bar are long gone. Handle looks lovely but I would recommend making a matching base for the pump too. It would look better proportioned and stop it falling over all the time.
steveal

Post by steveal »

2_i wrote: 18 May 2021, 6:35am Did the thread of the replacement gauge fit fine? I replaced the gauge in my Zefal Husky with the digital one by Lezyne, but I had to juggle quite a bit with the threads. I also equipped the Husky with a quick release pneumatic coupler, so I can swap heads in a snap.
The Silca pump has a 1/8" BSP thread. Smaller gauges (up to 50mm diameter) are available with the same thread.
I wanted the biggest gauge that would fit without interfering with the pump body - that's 63mm and they only come with 1/4" BSP.
So a 1/8" BSP male to 1/4" BSP female adapter was required.
Do not buy NPT (American) threaded gauges.
Note that gauges are available with Back or Bottom inlets. In my case a back entry was obviously needed.
steveal

Post by steveal »

TheBomber wrote: 18 May 2021, 7:06am Excellent job. I have the same model so you’ve started me thinking about changing the gauge too - as my days of pumping TT tyres up to 10 bar are long gone. Handle looks lovely but I would recommend making a matching base for the pump too. It would look better proportioned and stop it falling over all the time.
Interesting thought! Are you thinking of a bigger area below the current base, or the same area and thicker?

[By the way, the photograph emphasises the handle compared with the base which is further away. In reality the difference is not too ridiculous...]
robc02

Post by robc02 »

Good stuff. I'm a great believer in keeping things going with a few repairs or replacement parts.

Mine has had a new washer and replacement chuck (I still have the original plus some seals as well). I always preferred the wooden handle versions but put up with the plastic one as a robust, if less comfortable, alternative. You might have inspired me to do something about it!
TheBomber

Post by TheBomber »

steveal wrote: 18 May 2021, 9:34am Are you thinking of a bigger area below the current base, or the same area and thicker?
A bigger area. I’d post a photo of mine but it’s only a square of (delaminating) plywood so it looks too sorry to appear in this thread. Our Silca pumps were designed to fit in a kit bag and be taken to the race, so the base was always minimalist. Assuming you don’t carry yours around like that you’ll find a bigger base will reduce the frustration of the pump falling over.
robc02 wrote: 18 May 2021, 9:39am I'm a great believer in keeping things going with a few repairs or replacement parts.
Quite agree. They have a lovely ‘engineered’ feel to them that lend themselves to fixing and keeping rather than binning and replacing.
iandusud

Post by iandusud »

Great job. A man after my own heart.
2_i

Post by 2_i »

steveal wrote: 18 May 2021, 9:29am The Silca pump has a 1/8" BSP thread. Smaller gauges (up to 50mm diameter) are available with the same thread.
I wanted the biggest gauge that would fit without interfering with the pump body - that's 63mm and they only come with 1/4" BSP.
Note that gauges are available with Back or Bottom inlets. In my case a back entry was obviously needed.
Is that BSPP or BSPT? When buying the replacement gauge was its thread specified in a detailed manner? At times, the vendors are clueless. No, I do not plan anything like that again soon, but it is a good opportunity to learn. I speculate that the Silca has BSPP as you want to choose orientation for the gauge face without changing the sealing.
steveal

Post by steveal »

2_i wrote: 18 May 2021, 6:48pm
steveal wrote: 18 May 2021, 9:29am The Silca pump has a 1/8" BSP thread. Smaller gauges (up to 50mm diameter) are available with the same thread.
Is that BSPP or BSPT? When buying the replacement gauge was its thread specified in a detailed manner? At times, the vendors are clueless. No, I do not plan anything like that again soon, but it is a good opportunity to learn. I speculate that the Silca has BSPP as you want to choose orientation for the gauge face without changing the sealing.
BSPT is a bit of a rare bird. Most people referring to BSP imply BSPP and that is the case here. The threads are parallel, the sealing is done via a washer or an O ring (or in my case a few turns of PTFE tape), not by thread interference.
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

The handle especially looks a lot smarter than the original.
2_i

Post by 2_i »

steveal wrote: 18 May 2021, 7:43pmBSPT is a bit of a rare bird. Most people referring to BSP imply BSPP and that is the case here. The threads are parallel, the sealing is done via a washer or an O ring (or in my case a few turns of PTFE tape), not by thread interference.
Maybe on the occasion I should mention the product that helped me with the sealing, specifically Loctite 545, a threadlocker for pneumatic connectors, formulated to work under pressure. I have since used it also for regular bathroom plumbing and it has been very effective there too - I essentially quit using the teflon tape.
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

Wish I could mend mine. Despite new leather washers, (several tried) it won't pump air under pressure.