Bike designs which should be binned

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Mick F
Spambuster

Re: Bike designs which should be binned

Post by Mick F »

The video in the link showed it being ridden downhill, but not up at all.
Mick F. Cornwall
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

So a bike pictured on a level crossing would be a track bike. I hadn't thought of it like that.
rareposter

Post by rareposter »

Lefty forks have been around for decades - it's primarily a Cannondale thing but USE had a single-leg fork on the market for many years too.

Advantages are mud clearance (acres of it!), the fact you don't need to remove the wheel to change a tyre and it's lighter weight than regular forks. It's also very stiff - the internal cross section is square or hexagonal so there's zero flex or twist in it.

Also, that basic design of a strut with a wheel on one side is how vehicle wheels work. Even aircraft wheels are that sort of design. There's nothing wrong with it, it's not some kind of new never-tried-before thing.

Disadvantages - obviously you need a specific front hub and they only work with disc brakes.
Also, you have to put up with every other person telling you that part of your bike is missing. Much the same as tandem pilots hear the same "joke" about the person on the back not pedalling.
Yes, it's hilarious the first time but you're the 23rd person today who's said that...
roger

Post by roger »

Was'n't it a Mike Burrows initiative?
jb

Post by jb »

Also it needs a key or spline to prevent it swiveling, another thing to wear out just to avoid undoing a skewer. It's not as if the front wheel presents much difficulty to remove.
But the owner will convince themselves they've had their money's worth by the time they upgrade.
Cheers
J Bro
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

it's lighter weight than regular forks
Presumably, that's regular suspension forks, and also, not regular forks + regular wheel.

I presume fitting a front mudguard is possible but not particularly simple.
jb

Post by jb »

Take the humble skewer, serves 95% of cyclists for all activities. A small percentage cycle to such extremes that they want something stronger. The only way for manufacturers to make them is to convince the 95% that don't need them that they do .
But the small elite group that do need them are so obsessed with the sport that they change there bikes every year anyway so never see the advantage of the fat axle but the rest of us get left with it
:lol:
Cheers
J Bro
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

thirdcrank wrote: 8 Jul 2021, 10:05pm So a bike pictured on a level crossing would be a track bike. I hadn't thought of it like that.
It would be a rather dangerous trend.
https://www.globalrailwayreview.com/art ... crossings/
Megan Drayton, Foundation Manager of TrackSAFE Foundation New Zealand, discusses how the increasing popularity of rail tracks and level crossings as a fashionable backdrop in the age of modern photography, creative media and even selfies is seeing lives put at risk.
Yes, I know you were making a joke, but it is a serious point.
rareposter

Post by rareposter »

roger wrote: 8 Jul 2021, 10:22pm Was'n't it a Mike Burrows initiative?
It was - the Lotus track bike was single-sided on both sides:

gxaustin

Post by gxaustin »

Looking at the pic, I'd not describe it as an MTB, and the gearing doesn't appear to be optimised for riding downhill.
Based on the tyres I'd venture to suggest its a gravel/adventure/all surface bike.

I'd love a roadbike with a mono leg - just for the remarks (maybe not, on reflection)
mig

Post by mig »

rareposter wrote: 9 Jul 2021, 9:17am

only had to turn one way that thing though :wink:

not read the whole thread but i seem to remember "power cranks" in the 90s? some sort of pedal one side through a revolution then repeat on t'other whilst 'foot 1' remains still. something like that !!
rareposter

Post by rareposter »

mig wrote: 9 Jul 2021, 10:21am not read the whole thread but i seem to remember "power cranks" in the 90s? some sort of pedal one side through a revolution then repeat on t'other whilst 'foot 1' remains still. something like that !!
You mean this pile of junk?
https://www.powercranks.com/

On a related note, does anyone remember the L-shaped cranks thing - a thankfully very short-lived phase of drivetrain development.

jb

Post by jb »

:lol: you might just as well have a straight crank, they must be a joke.
Cheers
J Bro
fastpedaller

Post by fastpedaller »

rareposter wrote: 9 Jul 2021, 9:17am

I can see that being an advantage ...... but only for that application , on the track, one constant speed (so weight not an issue) and better aero. For all other riding a mono fork will be heavier (compared to a regular fork) in order to give the same wheel security/stability.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

rareposter wrote: 9 Jul 2021, 11:47am
mig wrote: 9 Jul 2021, 10:21am not read the whole thread but i seem to remember "power cranks" in the 90s? some sort of pedal one side through a revolution then repeat on t'other whilst 'foot 1' remains still. something like that !!
You mean this pile of junk?
https://www.powercranks.com/

On a related note, does anyone remember the L-shaped cranks thing - a thankfully very short-lived phase of drivetrain development.

Ian Cammish comes to mind. Scroll right down to the last pic to see him in action

https://www.iancammish.co.uk/