Bike designs which should be binned

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
cycle tramp

Re: Bike designs which should be binned

Post by cycle tramp »

nomm wrote: 27 May 2021, 12:33pm Carbon - except maybe forks

Press fit BB

Internal cable routing

Semi integrated head sets

Hidden eyelet mounts for mudguards

Tubeless

Gravel bikes
I'm suffering some covid19 vaccine side effects at the moment, so its probably the meds talking. While I have none of the above on my bike, I don't think i would seek to banish any of the above from existence....
..I think its quite a wonderful thing that every generation gets to redesign the bicycle, or parts thereof. By doing so the bicycle stays relevant and exciting to those discovering it for that generation -(even if for persons like myself, the problems that prompted such developments have already been solved in other ways, or just that we've learned to live with them).
It's time to go :-)
nomm

Post by nomm »

cycle tramp wrote: 27 May 2021, 5:36pm

Press fit BB

Internal cable routing

Tubeless

Gravel bikes
I'm suffering some covid19 vaccine side effects at the moment, so its probably the meds talking. While I have none of the above on my bike, I don't think i would seek to banish any of the above from existence....
..I think its quite a wonderful thing that every generation gets to redesign the bicycle, or parts thereof. By doing so the bicycle stays relevant and exciting to those discovering it for that generation -(even if for persons like myself, the problems that prompted such developments have already been solved in other ways, or just that we've learned to live with them).
Its one of the known side effects of the Pfizer jab - trying to justify push fit BB
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

I do agree that some internal cable routing should be binned --- I initially thought it would be a great idea but I bought a bike with internal routing and had found a problem with it.

On my racer the cables get in the way of your knees when standing on the pedals ( which I don't often do as my bike is set up more as a touring bike ). If you need to move the cables a bit to pack more stuff round the handlebars it can be a bit annoying.

In saying that they are fine for hydraulic cables as they don't need so much room and not affected by the route they take.
I am here. Where are you?
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

Research shows most people who favour bb30 had Astra zenica.... Whilst screw in BB owners had pfizer!! :roll: :roll: :roll:

Cheers James
cycle tramp

Post by cycle tramp »

nomm wrote: 6 Jun 2021, 12:43pm
cycle tramp wrote: 27 May 2021, 5:36pm

Press fit BB

Internal cable routing

Tubeless

Gravel bikes
Its one of the known side effects of the Pfizer jab - trying to justify push fit BB

Hey, I'm from a technical point of view, I'm not justifying anything... I've always used cartridge bearings, but have always been slightly ashamed by the fact that I lack the skill to remove the old worn bearings and re-fit new ones into the cartridge. Generally I just recycle the whole cartridge which does feel like a bit of a waste
It's time to go :-)
jb

Post by jb »

You can't fit new ball bearings into an old ball race, they come as a set. Push fit bottom bracket bearings are just badly designed by weight obsessed people. There's nothing wrong with the principle.
Cheers
J Bro
gxaustin

Post by gxaustin »

Any frame that's not British Racing Green.
What is British Racing Green?
Is it the emerald green used in the Gordon Bennett races, the very dark green favoured by Bentley, Cooper, BRM, Jaguar and Vanwall, the pale green used by HWM, ERA and BRP, the Brunswick green used by Lotus (the original having been somewhat lighter and yellowy) or the pale metallic (because anodised) green of the Aston Martins?
As far as I'm aware there is no such official shade as British Racing Green.
gxaustin

Post by gxaustin »

Whilst I'm far too set in my ways to change, I actually think front brake on the left would be better, as it's cery hard to brake effectively when signalling to turn right.
I had a bike (bought in UK 3 years ago) with the front brake on the left, and have others with it on the right. You soon get used to it when swapping from one to the other.
I can confirm however, that signalling right on a steep downhill while using the left mounted front brake is not a great idea in practice. You hit a bump and one's reflex is to grip the bars (and brake lever) more tightly. At least if it's the rear brake not much happens. With the front it can lead to wobble. I would take up position in good time, when safe to do so, and not signal on a steep hill whilst using my front brake so that braking and steering are not compromised. Other road users seem happy with that.
When I changed the bar tape, after about 20,000 miles, I swapped the brakes over to the usual position and they do seem more logical.
gxaustin

Post by gxaustin »

QR's require training and expertise.
Are you being serious? Did you really need to be trained to do up a QR? Really? Do you now regard yourself as an 'expert', having mastered the expertise required? :roll:
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Can we also bin rider types? Any rider who actually believes steel is real type hype would be one type to go. As for bikes I'd bin cheap steel ones.

Except my first road bike I bought with my first, proper summer job that to me was the most I could possibly spend. It was the best spec I could afford and it had Reynolds 501 steel in it. I've still got it and could never get rid even though it needs a bit of work to become rideable. At the time I bought it I thought any Reynolds steel was good. Plus it had a better shimano groupset throughout than other bikes 50% more in price. A real steal you could say.
gxaustin

Post by gxaustin »

Push fit bottom bracket bearings are just badly designed by weight obsessed people. There's nothing wrong with the principle.
My push fit bearings lasted 16,000 miles at least. That's not bad, surely?
jb

Post by jb »

gxaustin wrote: 10 Jun 2021, 7:28pm
Push fit bottom bracket bearings are just badly designed by weight obsessed people. There's nothing wrong with the principle.
My push fit bearings lasted 16,000 miles at least. That's not bad, surely?
Not bad at all, it just shows there is nothing wrong with the principle. But far to many people seem to get unlucky and have bad experiences such as creeking or failure due to alignment.
Cheers
J Bro
Govnor

Post by Govnor »

26tpi Raleigh crank cups and the park tool that fits them as useless
Attachments
IMG_20210610_132443.jpg
peetee

Post by peetee »

gxaustin wrote: 9 Jun 2021, 6:39am Are you being serious? Did you really need to be trained to do up a QR? Really? Do you now regard yourself as an 'expert', having mastered the expertise required? :roll:
Unfortunately there are many ordinary people out there that are not mechanically minded but are charged with that task by dint of modern bicycle ownership. I have lost count of how many bikes I have seen in my workshop with QR cams in the open position and done up like wingnuts.
Likewise, so-called ‘lawyers lips’ may be regarded as a nuisance to the likes of us but given the above fact and that bike owners are not tested for competence, they are a vital inclusion.
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
Stevek76

Post by Stevek76 »

gxaustin wrote: 10 Jun 2021, 7:28pm My push fit bearings lasted 16,000 miles at least. That's not bad, surely?
No, but they generally seem to have more issues than threaded and, given the typically expensive tools required to fit and remove (unless you like bodging) are very end user unfriendly as well.

Can't agree with much of the rest of nomm's list though.

Carbon is good
Internal routing I'm mixed on, they're a pain to replace (though designs are getting better) but external is more of a pain to clean the mud and stuff from under.
Hidden eyelets harm no one, if anything for those of us who like mudguards they widen choice with manufacturers able to support them without putting off the 'clean lines over clean bum' market segment
Gravel bikes are just another variant on the more rugged do it all bike, seem fairly ideal for what they're aimed at to me.
And bin tubeless? Really? :?
The contents of this post, unless otherwise stated, are opinions of the author and may actually be complete codswallop