Bike designs which should be binned

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Colin Jenkins

Re: Bike designs which should be binned

Post by Colin Jenkins »

Yet ANOTHER wheel size!
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

Colin Jenkins wrote: 14 Jun 2021, 1:58pm Yet ANOTHER wheel size!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jj0uBQ7 ... nel=MTBMAG
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

tatanab wrote: 14 Jun 2021, 2:06pm
:lol:
I am here. Where are you?
cycle tramp

Post by cycle tramp »

Cowsham wrote: 14 Jun 2021, 8:31pm
:lol:
This should be linked to every bicycle equipment advertisement :-)
It's time to go :-)
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

Possibly the most annoying laugh in the history of television. But worth it :-)
Debs

Post by Debs »

mattheus wrote: 15 Jun 2021, 10:41am
Possibly the most annoying laugh in the history of television. But worth it :-)
It was also he that proposed the compulsory registration plates for cyclists
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

The worst bike I have ever ridden was a Di Blasi folder.
To be fair, it must have been rather worn at the various joints, but the amount of flexing took a deal of skill to handle.
I have come across Bickerton folders which were severely worn at the joints (not folding joints) which was due to design. Those were horrible too.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
Stevek76

Post by Stevek76 »

Not sure that video works anymore given 622 now dominates on new MTBs and is unlikely to go anywhere. It's also strictly not new for the sector, there were a few 29ers in the very early days of MTBs.

Also, historically I'd think we're at a time of some of the lowest variance in wheel sizes. Almost everything has consolidated upon 622mm rims with some MTBs on 584 and then just some fringe stuff, folding and smaller frames going smaller. Compared to the vintage days when independent builders were all doing their own things and tyre sizing was all over the place it seems far more organised to me!
The contents of this post, unless otherwise stated, are opinions of the author and may actually be complete codswallop
pq

Post by pq »

I do find the hostility towards gravel bikes from grumpy old men a bit baffling. I have one and it's the best bike related thing I've bought in maybe 20 years. Of course I could manage without it - my heavy duty tourer, my old CX bike and sundry mountain bikes would all do the same job, but the gravel bike does it better and it means I do rides which I otherwise wouldn't.

And tubeless I love too.Yes, it's a faff and yes it costs more but the benefits are very noticeable in use and I think are worth the downsides. It's especially good off road but I love how road tubeless rides too.

Press fit bbs? Nothing wrong with the idea, the problem is when its badly implemented, which is often. It's becasue of the implementation not the idea that I avoid them.

What I think should be binned are not bike designs but grumpy old men who routinely dismiss as stupid anything which appeared after they turned 25 and which they've never used and don't understand. Not the same thing as dismissing "innovations" which really are daft of course.
One link to your website is enough. G
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

pq wrote: 15 Jun 2021, 2:31pm

What I think should be binned are not bike designs but grumpy old men who routinely dismiss as stupid anything which appeared after they turned 25 and which they've never used and don't understand. Not the same thing as dismissing "innovations" which really are daft of course.

Or intolerant young men who think anything which appeared more than 5 years ago should be binned and replaced. Possibly the owner, too, if he or she is more than 30.
John
rareposter

Post by rareposter »

pq wrote: 15 Jun 2021, 2:31pm What I think should be binned are not bike designs but grumpy old men who routinely dismiss as stupid anything which appeared after they turned 25 and which they've never used and don't understand. Not the same thing as dismissing "innovations" which really are daft of course.
I remember working at a Time Trial once as a volunteer marshal. It was quite a prestigious one so there was a fair chunk of top end kit lying around, riders warming up on full on turbo kit (rather than a set of rollers) and so on.

Wandering around in amongst all this were two old blokes, obviously former "testers" themselves. Rather than show any interest or fascination in what was on display, they spent their entire time slagging everything off. It was all "back in my day..." and various old tropes about steel being real, carbon snapping, "we did this without all that gubbins", and the worst one of all about Campag wearing in and Shimano wearing out.

What a pair of walking talking cliches.
pq

Post by pq »

Or intolerant young men who think anything which appeared more than 5 years ago should be binned and replaced. Possibly the owner, too, if he or she is more than 30.
If you're referring to me, I hate to disappoint, but I am old. But obviously I agree with the sentiment since I'm moaning about people who reject equipment for no good reason. I ride some pretty old bikes and a few new ones too while making some attempt to be rational about the equipment choices I make. It is debatable how successful I am at that but at least I try.
One link to your website is enough. G
roger

Post by roger »

British Racing Green was a pale colour. It was part of an international set of agreed colours for racing cars. Only other one I can remember was silver for Germany, perhaps blue for France and Red for Italy.
You occasionally see pictures of silver Mercedes cars in the thirties and fifties. Stirling Moss was driving a silver sports car to win the Mille Miglia in 1955, which is often shown.
The changes were brought about by what some thought clever marketing.
Also in 1955 I and many others rode single fixed bikes, before the invention of fixies, most of these with only a front brake. As said earlier this was on the left for easier braking and signalling before turning right.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

pq wrote: 15 Jun 2021, 3:51pm
If you're referring to me, I hate to disappoint, but I am old. But obviously I agree with the sentiment since I'm moaning about people who reject equipment for no good reason. I ride some pretty old bikes and a few new ones too while making some attempt to be rational about the equipment choices I make. It is debatable how successful I am at that but at least I try.
I’m not referring to any individual. I’m taking forward your own view about prejudice. I am sorry if I came across as personally critical: that was not my intention.
John
DevonDamo

Post by DevonDamo »

The intolerant old v. intolerant young discussion is a bit of a red herring. In both cases, what's actually the problem is people that make unjustified judgements about what's good based on prejudice rather than data - and people are capable of doing that regardless of their age. Recent examples from this forum: (1) a chap asked for advice on repairing a carbon frame and was immediately advised by a few of his fellow forum members that he was a fool to have bought carbon and would need to throw the frame away. Thankfully, before this frame went to landfill, some of his better-informed fellow forum members were able to provide advice which allowed him to make a quick, cheap home repair to bring his frame back to as-new condition. (2) I've regularly been lectured on here about the non-existent usability problems with a saddle I've been using for 10 years, by people who admit to never having so much as sat on one. The only explanation for this is that these particular saddles are a crime against cycling aesthetics, and that's proof enough for some people that they're therefore also incapable of doing the job they're intended for.

In any sport or activity, there will always be those who're overly-influenced by whatever the 'received wisdom' is (which is a flowery way of saying 'fashion victims') and that's to do with one's capacity for independent critical thinking rather than just one's age.