Bike designs which should be binned

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Jdsk

Re: Bike designs which should be binned

Post by Jdsk »

[XAP]Bob wrote: 17 Jun 2021, 3:29pm
freeflow wrote: 16 Jun 2021, 10:48am But but. Having a QR is the first step in making a puncture easier to fix and hence should encourage more people to have a go at fixing punctures. Not withstanding, any bike shop that sells bikes with QR should demonstrate how the QR works at the point of pickup, and check that the lesson is remembered at the 6 week service.
No - cantilevered axles are the important step. No need to remove the wheel at all.
As a Burrows enthusiast I can only applaud.

And my daughter really appreciates this on the Pashley tagalong tandem trailer trike. Especially as she didn't know the concept and hadn't seen the solution before she had to change something in anger. "Oh, it's that easy... "

: - )

Jonathan
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

freeflow wrote: 17 Jun 2021, 2:48pm Not a design but an activity that has greatly distorted what a bicycle should be, namely, racing.
More, please. Is that about developments that arise in racing being inappropriately implemented elsewhere?

Thanks

Jonathan
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

Jdsk wrote: 17 Jun 2021, 3:36pm
freeflow wrote: 17 Jun 2021, 2:48pm Not a design but an activity that has greatly distorted what a bicycle should be, namely, racing.
More, please. Is that about developments that arise in racing being inappropriately implemented elsewhere?

Thanks

Jonathan
Such as helmets?

<runs>
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

That hadn't crossed my mind. And my question wasn't a gotcha!

Jonathan
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

Carbon wheels for one!

Aero bikes another!

Power meters another!!!

Cheers James
cycle tramp

Post by cycle tramp »

freeflow wrote: 16 Jun 2021, 10:48am But but. Having a QR is the first step in making a puncture easier to fix and hence should encourage more people to have a go at fixing punctures. Not withstanding, any bike shop that sells bikes with QR should demonstrate how the QR works at the point of pickup, and check that the lesson is remembered at the 6 week service.
Er.. I would argue that teaching basic mechanics in schools would be the first step (other things that perhaps schools could teach; emotional control, bricklaying, basic DIY, creative thinking, and clothing repairs)
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

cycle tramp wrote: 17 Jun 2021, 5:20pm

Er.. I would argue that teaching basic mechanics in schools would be the first step (other things that perhaps schools could teach; emotional control, bricklaying, basic DIY, creative thinking, and clothing repairs)
Myself, I would add cooking to your list.
But I have noticed that the suggestion that "they should teach it in school" is a frequent one.
It seems to be thought that schools should make up for all sorts of lacks in parenting and society generally.
I think teachers are fully occupied teaching a curriculum and teaching for exams, and feel pressured, and judged, on how their pupils perform in key stages.
All the teachers I know have been glad to retire, and escape the demands made by politicians.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
freeflow

Post by freeflow »

Schools are for educating. Parents, or other non school organisations( D of E, Scouts, Guides etc) should have the role of training.
fastpedaller

Post by fastpedaller »

When my late Father attended school (in the 1930's) he learnt how to install a mortice lock into a door, which I would suggest was more useful than the wooden box I made in the 1970's woodwork class in my school :roll:
rotavator

Post by rotavator »

I agree with cycle tramp.

At least when I was at school, so much useless stuff taught. For example, I remember my geography teacher reading out a text book (which was not well concealed behind his briefcase) about the geography of South America; he wasn't interested and neither were his pupils. Then there was weeks and weeks of ?euclidean geometry when all I needed to know after school was Pythagoras' theorem and the main trig functions. Similarly dull weeks of solving quadratic equations but I have never had to solve one after leaving school. As for history,music and art...what a complete waste of time, for me at least.

Why not teach useful things like touch typing, basic DIY, statistics, how engines and motors work, how to wire a plug, how are houses built, how to repair a bike? Oh no, they would be far too easy/practical/useful!
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

fastpedaller wrote: 17 Jun 2021, 6:32pm
When my late Father attended school (in the 1930's) he learnt how to install a mortice lock into a door, which I would suggest was more useful than the wooden box I made in the 1970's woodwork class in my school :roll:
I carved a lovely wooden squirrel
I am here. Where are you?
fastpedaller

Post by fastpedaller »

Cowsham wrote: 17 Jun 2021, 7:47pm

I carved a lovely wooden squirrel
Hmm - I think my box may have been more useful than your squirrel :lol: :lol:
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

Off topic but hey.

Bring back national service.

Learn a trade woodwork bricklaying plumbing elec, mechanics, nursing, T/A, hairdressing, etc

Learn to drive and ride a bike, take up a sport and learn to cook healthy food.

I'll get the popcorn!!

Cheers James
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

I think what you and your Dad got from it was the training that showed you how to use tools.
At my school we had metalwork and woodwork classrooms. It was a great awakening for me and I've still got my love, although not the energy, of making things.
rfryer

Post by rfryer »

Mike Sales wrote: 17 Jun 2021, 3:01pm
You don't have to race. It is not compulsory. I don't.
And you are free to ride whatever bike you like.
Unless nobody makes that ideal bike, because bike design and production has been constrained by the demands of racing.