Clone Brooks saddles

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
ClappedOut

Clone Brooks saddles

Post by ClappedOut »

Having several I agree the real macoy the way forward for known reliability.
However I cannot see the leather sold as a spare and a complete clone is £12.95, so it got me thinking is the leather really that terrible and a beyond repair leather Brooks donating it's metal work?

I understand a good second hand Brooks better all round, just £12.95 not a large sum and I'm not trying to pass a clone as a Brooks.
alexnharvey

Re: Clone Brooks saddles

Post by alexnharvey »

When I contacted Brooks recently they informed me that they no longer offer a leather replacement service so maybe not supplying the leather is part of that policy. It's very unfortunate.

I think the leather itself is the most important part of the saddle and the frame is relatively unimportant. I am also not sure if any clone is a close enough copy that it will fit on the brooks frame? If you have a complete clone that is comfortable enough what benefit do you expect to achieve from swapping the leather onto a new frame, if it even fits?
ClappedOut

Post by ClappedOut »

alexnharvey wrote: 24 May 2021, 1:01pm When I contacted Brooks recently they informed me that they no longer offer a leather replacement service so maybe not supplying the leather is part of that policy. It's very unfortunate.

I think the leather itself is the most important part of the saddle and the frame is relatively unimportant. I am also not sure if any clone is a close enough copy that it will fit on the brooks frame? If you have a complete clone that is comfortable enough what benefit do you expect to achieve from swapping the leather onto a new frame, if it even fits?
Three nuts and it swaps over, I just thought as the springs on the written off Brooks look stronger

https://www.pedalpro.com/pedalpro-class ... addle.html

Or

https://www.amazon.co.uk/N-C-Genuine-Le ... NrPXRydWU=

I know the selle Italia are £49-54 new so it gives an idea of better brands as well.

Just thought it was a cheap fix
alexnharvey

Post by alexnharvey »

Sorry, I thought you were talking about taking the rivets out and swapping the leather which would be a lot of work for very little gain.

I once installed large copper hand hammered rivets on a brook that previously had small steel rivets. It was especially tricky peening the nose ones because access is tight.
jb

Post by jb »

I think it needs more springs!
Cheers
J Bro
ClappedOut

Post by ClappedOut »

jb wrote: 25 May 2021, 11:07pm
Lol its a B135 or B190 clone
NickJP

Post by NickJP »

Berthoud sell all the individual parts of their leather saddles as spares: https://berthoudcycles.fr/en/128-spare- ... ccessories.

In the dim distant past, I used to ride Brooks B17s, but I've found that the Berthoud Aubisque/Vars saddles are (for me) the most comfortable I've come across.

There's an interesting video on the manufacture of the saddles here:
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

NickJP wrote: 28 May 2021, 12:29pm Berthoud sell all the individual parts of their leather saddles as spares: https://berthoudcycles.fr/en/128-spare- ... ccessories.

In the dim distant past, I used to ride Brooks B17s, but I've found that the Berthoud Aubisque/Vars saddles are (for me) the most comfortable I've come across.
Agreed. I tried an Aspin (just about bottom of the range) in 2012 and now I have 5 of them. They suit me straight from the box. Pre Brexit I bought some spare parts directly from the shop/factory and service was excellent. They tend to have a display at the Semaine Federale. In recent years I loaned to 2 club mates who have also liked them and bought them.
Nessie23

Post by Nessie23 »

NickJP wrote: 28 May 2021, 12:29pm Berthoud sell all the individual parts of their leather saddles as spares: https://berthoudcycles.fr/en/128-spare- ... ccessories.

There's an interesting video on the manufacture of the saddles here:
Love the video. I have just purchased a Selle Italia Leather saddle (attracting a bit of discussion on this thread viewtopic.php?f=1&t=138830) and was wondering about the production process.
markjohnobrien

Post by markjohnobrien »

alexnharvey wrote: 24 May 2021, 1:01pm When I contacted Brooks recently they informed me that they no longer offer a leather replacement service so maybe not supplying the leather is part of that policy. It's very unfortunate.

That’s insane as leather top replacement was part of the essential Brooks service: I bought a B17 titanium second hand for a good price and Brooks fitted a new Brooks select (organic and supposedly harder wearing and longer lasting) top. Looked great when returned - not used yet- but disappointed that the service is no longer offered.
Raleigh Randonneur 708 (Magura hydraulic brakes); Blue Raleigh Randonneur 708 dynamo; Pearson Compass 631 tourer; Dawes One Down 631 dynamo winter bike;Raleigh Travelogue 708 tourer dynamo; Kona Sutra; Trek 920 disc Sram Force.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

jb wrote: 25 May 2021, 11:07pm
That's a Gyes saddle. They produce a large range of leather saddles. Spa and Velo Orange saddles are rebadged Gyes.

http://www.gyes.com.tw/saddle.html
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker