Going indexed on old bike

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Secret Sam

Going indexed on old bike

Post by Secret Sam »

Am thinking of indexing my old 531 steed

Needs a new rear mech anyway

But in terms of levers, am reluctant to spend a fortune on combo brake/gear levers, are there index downtube levers available (frame has braze ons for levers)

Am going to be running a 9 speed cassette, don't want to spend a fortune

Thanks in advance
My name...isn't really Sam
hamster

Post by hamster »

Downtube levers are available from Shimano.
georgew

Post by georgew »

Have a look on ebay for Dura ace downtube shifters. Probably the cheapest way to convert and great quality.
glueman

Post by glueman »

It may not answer your question but modern derailleurs run so close to the sprockets there has never been a better time not to need indexing. I'd be tempted to try and run your old levers on a new block initially.

Also assuming your rear dropout dimensions will fit a 9 speed.
fivebikes

Post by fivebikes »

On my old Claud Butler I went from a 5 speed freewheel to 7 speed cassette (rebuilt wheel with oldish but little used DX mtb hub minus a couple of spacer washers and a shortened axle) Bought Shimano band on indexed shifters from SJS. Works a treat with ex mtb triple and rear mech. 28 year old Suntour front mech works fine with triple - front shifter not indexed anyway.

Cassette hub fitted into 126mm dropouts no probs!
whoops

Re: Going indexed on old bike

Post by whoops »

[quote="Secret Sam"]Am thinking of indexing my old 531 steed

I'd be more interested in the model more than the metal. Is the make a "Secret Sam"
richards

Post by richards »

I found a firm selling right hand only sti. It cost £20 a few months ago. I've put it on a Raleigh Clubman (1980s, 531 main frame) with an 8 speed cassette and its great for hacking around London. You don't need indexed chain-wheel most of the time and I am much happier keeping my hand on or near the front brake, despite the unfailing courtesy and skill of London drivers.
flobber

Post by flobber »

You can get the dura ace down tube levers or the bar end levels from ribble for about £30.