Trailers!

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Willpower

Post by Willpower »

It's also worth noting that CF state that the load limits are because of braking factors not breaking factors. On other words a Y large should not collapse at 90kgs+, but you may have serious difficulties downhill.

I know that tandem+ylarge+30kgs+13%gradient = difficulty stopping :roll:
Willpower

Post by Willpower »

chrisoleary wrote:Got my large Y frame a couple of days ago but been unable to give it a proper test run due to being stuffed with cold - in the middle of July :cry: and the weather. Took a load to the tip today and the large box that I had planned to use on the trailer was good but did not even fill the board. I would look for a bigger one but I could feel it in my legs so I'll be doing quite a bit of practice first. :shock:

I think you can get two of those plastic box thingies on a ylarge. 4 if you stack them :shock:
Asdace

Post by Asdace »

Mick F wrote:One hell of a weight it is true, but you have to stop it!

When I'm towing, I do worry about an emergency stop. My Campag Chorus brakes are good, but not good enough for that weight!
Well, I guess a extra supply of brake shoes will be a must. I think if I was cycle-camping, guessing my weight would be around the 15kg mark.
Willpower

Post by Willpower »

Asdace wrote:
Mick F wrote:One hell of a weight it is true, but you have to stop it!

When I'm towing, I do worry about an emergency stop. My Campag Chorus brakes are good, but not good enough for that weight!
Well, I guess a extra supply of brake shoes will be a must. I think if I was cycle-camping, guessing my weight would be around the 15kg mark.

Yes if you're touring take spare pads. We got through our fronts in a week of somewhat hilly touring.
Willpower

Post by Willpower »

Asdace wrote:, guessing my weight would be around the 15kg mark.

I think you should see a doctor about that........................ :roll:
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I fitted new blocks prior to my Grand Tour, and carried the old ones as spares.

1400 hilly miles later, no particular wear. I've chucked the old ones out now.
Mick F. Cornwall
Willpower

Post by Willpower »

Mick F wrote:
1400 hilly miles later, now.

how many times did you have to stop to let the rim cool down? Them ain't hills.............................either that or you're braver than me at descending!

I suspect you and your load may weigh half what we did.........
Asdace

Post by Asdace »

Willpower wrote:
Asdace wrote:, guessing my weight would be around the 15kg mark.

I think you should see a doctor about that........................ :roll:
The l :wink: uggage that is
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

The only downhill I worried about was down to Applecross from the top of Bealach na Ba. Hairpin bends, steep descents, hard braking - hot rims.

I didn't have trailer with me either!

I got up to 40 odd mph coming down Sutton Bank, similar down to Whitby.
Looking at my records, there were a few occasions at over 40mph with Trailer on the back.
Mick F. Cornwall
jimcrosskell

Post by jimcrosskell »

The only problem with the Applecross descent is the fact your too Kna**ered from the climb to enjoy it, along with mist and a stiff crosswind a most forgetable bit of road. Apart from the bragging rights of course.
backwinds forever......
Phil_Lee

Post by Phil_Lee »

Has anyone considered some kind of overrun braking system to increase the safe loading limit on cycle trailers?

It shouldn't be too complex, or heavy, but I guess it's another thing to maintain.
Asdace

Post by Asdace »

Been looking at some trailers on a certain website Link and someone cut out on his Y-Frame base, a shape of a figure Eight or guitar. I wondered if he was trying reduce the weight of the trailer.
chrisoleary

Post by chrisoleary »

Did some cutting on mine today too. :D

Hedge cuttings away to the tip :lol: , 2 builders bags full - rolled up and stamped on to make them fit and the y-frame has started to pay for itself. :D
UrbanManc

Post by UrbanManc »

chrisoleary wrote:Did some cutting on mine today too. :D

Hedge cuttings away to the tip :lol: , 2 builders bags full - rolled up and stamped on to make them fit and the y-frame has started to pay for itself. :D

What do people use to secure the boxes/bags with , it's shame there isn't a better securing system , or a specific box that could be sold to be used with them :?

I still prefer this idea .

chrisoleary

Post by chrisoleary »

They come with a couple of velcro straps but I don't use them as they look pretty useless. I use bungees and ratchet straps. If they were to attach a box it would drastically reduce it's uses. Having the flat board was the attraction to me as I can use whatever box or bag I like, put my fishing tackle box on it, camping gear etc.etc.etc. Every trailer has it's uses but this one has many - I'm well chuffed with mine. :D