Trailers!

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Peyote

Post by Peyote »

Mick F wrote:Please don't say "only" a single wheel trailer.

Sorry Mick, I could've worded that better.

Mick F wrote:I have experience with a CF, but not with anything else, so I'm basing my comments on what I've researched.

Single wheeled trailers are better at some things than twin wheeled trailers. AND vice versa. The way I see it, two wheels carry the load far better but can be a little unstable in an off-road situation, and are a little too wide to get through gaps. Where two wheels excel, is in their versatility and load carrying abilities in an on-road situation. Shops, touring and the like.

Remember, the weight carried between two wheels is supported between the wheels, giving little nose-weight to the bike. With one wheel, the nose-weight can be high, and the bike has to balance the whole thing. Two wheels allows the bike to feel just like the bike by itself, all you have to do is pedal harder up hills. Even that is far easier than you might think, but that goes for trailers in general.

The only time I've ever tried a two wheel trailer was using a hitch that attached to the seat post, it was quite a cheap and cheerful thing and going round corners was a challenging experience!

The advantage I find with a single-wheel is mainly that the steering isn't compromised as the bike and trailer act a bit like a single articulated bicycle. You're right about the weight distribution, I don't think I've seen one that can cope with much more 40kg, whereas two-wheelers don't have similar restrictions.
Tom Richardson

Post by Tom Richardson »

Willpower wrote:
Asdace wrote: One thing that's putting me off, is the weight @ 6kg. I suppose I can take off the rear rack.

You won't notice it.

I think that the weight is a good point. My touring load is less than 8kg (plus food and water). Loading it onto a 6kg trailer almost doubles the weight.

The extra weight could be justified by using a lighter bike but it doesn't make sense to me to use a trailer with a heavy touring bike. Not for touring anyway. I use a small CF for shopping and its great but I wouldn't use it on my Dawes Galaxy for touring.
Willpower

Post by Willpower »

Peyote wrote:
The only time I've ever tried a two wheel trailer was using a hitch that attached to the seat post, it was quite a cheap and cheerful thing and going round corners was a challenging experience!

This is not a problem you would have with a CF trailer. I've got mine up on one wheel a couple of times, but the handling of the bike is totally unchanged.

About the width of the thing: Yes it obviously needs more road, but the Y-small is no wider than your shoulders probably are and the Y-large only slightly wider. When I first got it I was worried about catching it on street furniture, but it's never been a problem.
markazz

Post by markazz »

my trailer is used for local chores that used to only be possible with a car. When touring I'll go back to panniers.
dkmwt

Post by dkmwt »

Willpower wrote:
Asdace wrote: One thing that's putting me off, is the weight @ 6kg. I suppose I can take off the rear rack.

You won't notice it.
Try a Radical Cyclone it's even lighter.

As for the difference between 2 wheeled and single wheeled, I had a Bob Yak until my shed got burned down. I found with the Yak behind my MTB I still had to balance it, which was hard work when it was full. I first started using the Cyclone behind the MTB. It was so much easier to control than the Yak.
Cheers, Donald
Trice "Qnt 26" 26/39/55 F 10sp 11/36 R, now with Windwrap fairing.
ICE B1 34/50 F Capreo 9/32 R.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/dkmwt/78674512/
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1188814973
Asdace

Post by Asdace »

dkmwt wrote:
Willpower wrote:

You won't notice it.
Try a Radical Cyclone it's even lighter.

At £295, it would be out of my budget range.

I would of had the ExtraWheel as a 1st choice, at 4.8kg. But it will only carry a tiny 30kg payload.
Willpower

Post by Willpower »

Tom Richardson wrote:
I think that the weight is a good point. My touring load is less than 8kg (plus food and water). Loading it onto a 6kg trailer almost doubles the weight.

The extra weight could be justified by using a lighter bike but it doesn't make sense to me to use a trailer with a heavy touring bike. Not for touring anyway. I use a small CF for shopping and its great but I wouldn't use it on my Dawes Galaxy for touring.

True there's little point in a trailer for 8kgs load, but you really don't notice the weight of the trailer.
When I'm towing ours empty you only know it's there coz it rattles.
I'm sure there's some science out there about rolling resitance and loads, but it does seem that 6 kgs on two hardish wheels doesn't cause as much drag as that same 6 kgs would on the bike.
GrahamG

Post by GrahamG »

I can understand the hesitance at considering a trailer if you already have a touring bike but the idea has been great for me as I no longer have to get over the obstacle of 'don't have a suitable bike to tour with', as I only have a road bike and no room for anything else (except a trailer of course :wink: )
Asdace

Post by Asdace »

Me Mum's been sorting out the bedroom ready for new double glazing. came across a army sleeping bag, the arctic type with goose down. Heavy @ 2.6 kg, but nice and cosy with a waterproof liner. Anyway I copped the bag, going to use it on my double Coast to Coast ride in September. I might even use my gore-tex bivi bag with the basha sheet.

Guess I will have to get that Y-Frame trailer now. Should get all 3 items in my Ortlieb Drysac.
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

This is not a sales pitch......

However I have used both the BikeHod and the Yak for a number of years ( my first trailer was a now defunct "Action Packer" in the eighties) but there is an increaseing reluctance to allow trailers on trains. They don't fit into the bike spaces and are the wrong shape for the minimal luggage space on trains use in his area. I was twice turned away on "safety grounds" as the Yak would heve been ostructing a passageway...

So I bought the Cyclone which in a few seconds converts into a holdall. It is as easy to use as the oters, tracks well, and has the advantage that it is a "normal holdall" when it gets on to a train or hotel.

If like me the years are beginningto toll and camping is no longer as comfortable then this is a big plus for the Cyclone.
peevafred

Re: Trailers!

Post by peevafred »

chrisoleary wrote:Looking at buying a large y-frame trailer but need to convince myself (and the wife) that I really need one.
I am hoping to do a couple of 4-5 day unsupported tours where it will obviously come in handy - but could i cope with panniers. Other jobs it could be used for include fishing, camping, shopping, recycling?????
Could anyone give me advice on what other jobs they use their trailers for and is the y-frame the best choice.

I know that this is a bit late but
.. Trailers are great for carrying lots of gear ,my wife has a burley Nomad and I use a Carryfreedom both are great. we recently used panniers on a tour and both agree that trilers are better.
peevafred
melw1

Post by melw1 »

UrbanManc wrote:
What do people use to secure the boxes/bags with , it's shame there isn't a better securing system , or a specific box that could be sold to be used with them :?

Our homemade trailer has two narow and fairly shallow wooden battons screwed in just in front and just behind the plastic box. The box is also has a couple of bolts going through the bottom and through the wooden base - these are wing-nut style fittings so no tools needed to remove them. If I add another box on top,then that stacks neatly on top and bungee used to help keep it there. To help keep it stable, I don't put heavy things in the top box!

Melanie
richardirving

Trailers on trains

Post by richardirving »

If you are very adroit I believe you can get a yak on a train to fit between the seats. I recall doing so in the past on Intercity trains and you would not have known it was there. I did not need to remove the wheel either.
peevafred

Post by peevafred »

Mick F wrote:Mine is a "Small".

I can get most things on it, including a concrete block! (Don't ask!)

A suitcase of normal proportions fits on the load-bed very easily with room to spare.

I've been at 40 odd mph with it in tow despite what CF recommend as a max speed. Steady as a steady thing behind me. In fact, Bike handles very well whilst towing.

I couldn't agree more, the CF is great for touring. I cycled up through Sweden to the Arctic circle towing one. I found it handled very well and the especially on the gravel forestry roads. Mine is the small one and it was more than big enough. The bike handled much better than with panniers,but if you are not carrying lots of kit maybe panniers will do.
CliveA

Edinburgh Bicycle Co-op Cargo Trailer

Post by CliveA »

I've just returned from a camping holiday in south west Wales, towing an Edinburgh Bicycle Co-op Cargo trailer behind my bike.

It was absolutely great, with only a couple of very minor problems. I'll write more when I have time, but if you'd like to know more (or even a test ride if you're in the Surrey/Sussex/Hampshire/London area) then give me a shout at clive.andrews@ctc.org.uk

Edinburgh Bicycle Co-op Cargo Trailer