Trailers!

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
UrbanManc

Post by UrbanManc »

chrisoleary wrote:They come with a couple of velcro straps but I don't use them as they look pretty useless. I use bungees and ratchet straps. If they were to attach a box it would drastically reduce it's uses. Having the flat board was the attraction to me as I can use whatever box or bag I like, put my fishing tackle box on it, camping gear etc.etc.etc. Every trailer has it's uses but this one has many - I'm well chuffed with mine. :D

Hmmm , I'm not sure which one to go for , the attraction of the Y-frame is that you can hang it on the wall and it takes up little space.

The one I like is multi purpose, it can be used as a cart/wheelbarrow and even be adapted to hold a sound system ( critical mass ) and is cheaper ... decisions decisions :?
dkmwt

Post by dkmwt »

I use roof rack straps, the ones about an inch wide with the metal thingy on one end that you thread the strap through and spring presure locks a lever onto it. I can get them for £1 in my local cheapy tool shop.
Cheers, Donald
Trice "Qnt 26" 26/39/55 F 10sp 11/36 R, now with Windwrap fairing.
ICE B1 34/50 F Capreo 9/32 R.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/dkmwt/78674512/
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1188814973
Asdace

Post by Asdace »

You know I still can't make up my mind, whatever to get a Y-Frame Small or not. What a silly billy I'm, I need some words of wisdom from Mick F. :wink:
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Don't think about only me, just think:

Have you heard or read of anybody NOT liking their CF trailer? Every account on this forum has been positive about them. They, like me, would say that you won't be disappointed.

Good Things:
Versatile
Folds away when not in use
Easy to carry heavy loads
More efficient than panniers
Shopping/touring/camping/trips to the dump/hauling loads
No special braze-ons required
People are amazed/amused/interested/fascinated and will chat to you!
The trailer subject fills up 8 pages on this forum!

Need we say more?
Mick F. Cornwall
markazz

Post by markazz »

I've had CF large for a couple of weeks now and it has been great....it is currently in France on holiday duty pulling body boards to the beach. I wish I'd bought one earlier - the only bad thing I've had is a few people (car owners) saying "I can't believe you spent that money on a bit of wood and some pram wheels" - when people ask how much it costs I now say about 2 1/2 tanks of petrol, not one person has said it is expensive since I've started doing that.
UrbanManc

Post by UrbanManc »

You could say ( to car drivers ) , that it costs a lot less than you will have to pay your cardiac arrest team . :)
zenzinnia

Post by zenzinnia »

I came to use my Y Frame last week and found I had somehow lost the silver button on one of the axels (I had lost the little hub cap some time ago). I tryed replacing it with a little 5mm nut but that came off very quickly and sent the wheel rolling down the road past me! I now have a nylock nut on it but this dosn't help as you can't tighten the thing so I've bunged a load of bluetack over the nut and onto the large nut - this seems to work (if anyone else has the problem en route etc).

But my question is...where can I get a new axel or button to fix the problem properly. I've e-mailed CF but not had a response yet.

Thanks
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I lost a rubber bung on my first trip away, so I took the other off. I didn't want to be caught by the Single Bung Police! No probs with the release buttons though.

You could try ringing them.
Have you had it long? Is it still under guarantee?

0845 456 0928

I phoned them before I bought mine, they were very helpful with my questions as I remember.
Mick F. Cornwall
zenzinnia

Post by zenzinnia »

I've just had an e-mail reply from CF saying if I send them my broken one they'll replace it - excellent service. Commendation for CF!
Asdace

Post by Asdace »

Mick F wrote:Don't think about only me, just think:

Have you heard or read of anybody NOT liking their CF trailer? Every account on this forum has been positive about them. They, like me, would say that you won't be disappointed.

Good Things:
Versatile
The trailer subject fills up 8 pages on this forum!

Need we say more?
So I guess, no negative stuff about the CF. One thing that's putting me off, is the weight @ 6kg. I suppose I can take off the rear rack.

Thanks for the advice anyway. :wink:
Willpower

Post by Willpower »

Asdace wrote: One thing that's putting me off, is the weight @ 6kg. I suppose I can take off the rear rack.

You won't notice it.
Peyote

Post by Peyote »

Mick F wrote:
Good Things:
Versatile

Just to confuse things, I can say all the above about by Edinburgh Bicycle Co-op revolution trailer!

It's only single wheeled though so I suppose it's not really comparing like with like!
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Please don't say "only" a single wheel trailer.

I have experience with a CF, but not with anything else, so I'm basing my comments on what I've researched.

Single wheeled trailers are better at some things than twin wheeled trailers. AND vice versa. The way I see it, two wheels carry the load far better but can be a little unstable in an off-road situation, and are a little too wide to get through gaps. Where two wheels excel, is in their versatility and load carrying abilities in an on-road situation. Shops, touring and the like.

Remember, the weight carried between two wheels is supported between the wheels, giving little nose-weight to the bike. With one wheel, the nose-weight can be high, and the bike has to balance the whole thing. Two wheels allows the bike to feel just like the bike by itself, all you have to do is pedal harder up hills. Even that is far easier than you might think, but that goes for trailers in general.
Mick F. Cornwall
yakdiver

Post by yakdiver »

Trailers for sale or rent,
rooms to let - 50 cents,
no phone, no pool, no pets,
but we're kings of the road :D

you have to be old to know that song :(
Asdace

Post by Asdace »

numbnuts wrote:Trailers for sale or rent,
rooms to let - 50 cents,
no phone, no pool, no pets,
but we're kings of the road :D

you have to be old to know that song :(

Third boxcar, midnight train
Destination...Bangor, Maine.
Old worn out clothes and shoes,
I don't pay no union dues,
I smoke old stogies I have found
Short, but not too big around
I'm a man of means by no means
King of the road.

Yes, I'm old enough to remember the song :roll: A classic. 8)