Converting an old bike to an ebike

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Govnor

Converting an old bike to an ebike

Post by Govnor »

eBay item number:392578116045 how much would the local bike shop or Halfords charge to fit this?
Didn't seem to know what the battery was, which would I buy and does it velcro strap to the frame or do I need a metal frame on the back over the wheel.

Seeing some old bike being re painted got me thinking

Ta
Jamesh

Re: Converting an old bike to an ebike

Post by Jamesh »

I doubt Halfords or another chain would, A more open minded independent cycle ship might.

Looks like battery not included might a lithium car stsrter work they are often about 17ah?

Cheers
Govnor

Post by Govnor »

Jamesh wrote: 6 Jun 2021, 10:49pm I doubt Halfords or another chain would, A more open minded independent cycle ship might.

Looks like battery not included might a lithium car stsrter work they are often about 17ah?

Cheers
Bit clueless an all of this, just trying to get an idea, I'm guessing the expensive ones have a 50 mile range.
5miles plus would do us as the ballast Doris god bless her isn't as slim as she once was and don't want to get
Stranded with two bone idle kids and an angry Doris as she might go on strike like.
jb

Post by jb »

The battery needs to be 48 volt and 17 Ah minimum. The fuse they mention protects the battery not the motor, and you need the correct charger so the price is mounting for a dubious purchase.
Cheers
J Bro
Govnor

Post by Govnor »

jb wrote: 6 Jun 2021, 11:10pm The battery needs to be 48 volt and 17 Ah minimum. The fuse they mention protects the battery not the motor, and you need the correct charger so the price is mounting for a dubious purchase.
There were some of those Amazon deals as well for £500-800.
Had a go on work colleagues s work something's or other while they were out, seems a bit fragile creaky from the peddles as 20 stone and gut got in the way leaning to the handles.

A mountain bike or what about a fat tyre bike to go with my spare tyre?
Govnor

Post by Govnor »

Sounds like a new bike would be best as the chargers and batteries make price up.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hyuhome-Electr ... ljaz10cnVl

Would this be any good for my 15 stone lad?
jb

Post by jb »

15 stone isn't especially heavy, if your only doing short rides avoid bikes with suspension cos you don't get owt decent for that money and its just extra weight.
Cheers
J Bro
Govnor

Post by Govnor »

jb wrote: 6 Jun 2021, 11:52pm 15 stone isn't especially heavy, if your only doing short rides avoid bikes with suspension cos you don't get owt decent for that money and its just extra weight.
Fair play always thought suspension seems a gimmick on cheap bicycles.

Are the batteries generic like an AA battery or model specific so a spare would be good, Doris isn't the most energetic and on a grey couch looks like a beached whale.
Tactfully trying to get her out as she almost fell off a mountain bike today- sadly no camera-a you've been framed moment.

Fat runs in the family and thought we would try and make a change as relatives dead by 70.
iandusud

Post by iandusud »

Govnor wrote: 6 Jun 2021, 11:26pm Sounds like a new bike would be best as the chargers and batteries make price up.

This bike is not legal to use on UK roads. The implications of using illegally are potentially huge. Driving an unregistered motor vehicle on a public road, uninsured are the obvious ones. Others would include not wearing a homologated motorcycle helmet (unless of course you chose to wear one).
Govnor

Post by Govnor »

iandusud wrote: 7 Jun 2021, 9:13am
Govnor wrote: 6 Jun 2021, 11:26pm Sounds like a new bike would be best as the chargers and batteries make price up.

This bike is not legal to use on UK roads. The implications of using illegally are potentially huge. Driving an unregistered motor vehicle on a public road, uninsured are the obvious ones. Others would include not wearing a homologated motorcycle helmet (unless of course you chose to wear one).
Roads too dangerous here for us, thinking a bicycle trail. Are you sure these are not legal as it seems odd Amazon sell them.

How would I know which is legal and which isn't, all look similar to me and no warning off road use only from the 5 I looked at.
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

Govnor wrote: 7 Jun 2021, 10:44am How would I know which is legal and which isn't, all look similar to me and no warning off road use only from the 5 I looked at.
https://www.gov.uk/electric-bike-rules
Basically, age limited to over 14, power limited to 250W and assisted speed limited to 15.5mph
Govnor

Post by Govnor »

Aye well that clears it up a bit
Ta
iandusud

Post by iandusud »

tatanab wrote: 7 Jun 2021, 10:48am
Govnor wrote: 7 Jun 2021, 10:44am How would I know which is legal and which isn't, all look similar to me and no warning off road use only from the 5 I looked at.
Basically, age limited to over 14, power limited to 250W and assisted speed limited to 15.5mph
This. Also be aware that using a non-legal ebike on off-road trails is also illegal unless it is private land and you have the land owner's permission.
Govnor

Post by Govnor »

iandusud wrote: 7 Jun 2021, 1:31pm
tatanab wrote: 7 Jun 2021, 10:48am
This. Also be aware that using a non-legal ebike on off-road trails is also illegal unless it is private land and you have the land owner's permission.
Ta
That had me wondering why there is no warnings as I would have bought 1000w ones and not even considered it-surely trading standards should be chasing up this?
squeaker

Post by squeaker »

Govnor wrote: 7 Jun 2021, 6:52pm...surely trading standards should be chasing up this?
Business seller information
Guangzhou Huangpu Technology Co Ltd
Kuilin Wang
Room 502 Uinit 8 jingxi street yihe xiang
510000 Guangdong, 广东省
China
ROTFL :roll:
"42"