Can I replace my v-brakes with disk brakes?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
lazy-jake

Can I replace my v-brakes with disk brakes?

Post by lazy-jake »

Hi all

I have dusted of my old bike, that's been lying around in the shed. I'd really like to upgrade a couple of components and in-particular the brakes. Googling around the net , has not much helped me understand if I can replace he braking system with disks. In general, the answer appears to be "No", and if that is the case so be it.

However, I have some holes on the frame that appear to be more or less 51mm apart. I was wondering if they are I.S. mounting points (if that's the right term). So my questions are:
  • Are they I.S. mounting points?
  • Is it worth changing the type?
  • What do I need to perform this modification (adapters seems to be a slightly confusing subject for me at least)?
  • I presume I would need new wheels, is that correct
Thanks for any help offered
Jake
Attachments
image_33.jpg
image_34.jpg
image_35.jpg
ElCani

Re: Can I replace my v-brakes with disk brakes?

Post by ElCani »

Those are indeed disc caliper mounting points, so you could change to a disc brake system. However, assuming the wheel hubs don’t have disc mounting points, you would need new wheels (or new hubs and a complete wheel rebuild). Generally I’d say it is highly unlikely to be a cost effective or worthwhile change (unless perhaps you need new wheels anyway). Well set-up and maintained v-brakes are very powerful, so if there’s a problem with yours my advice would be to try and get them fixed, which is going to be cheaper and easier that switching to disc brakes.
Stevek76

Post by Stevek76 »

You'd have to replace or bodge (or lose) that rear pannier rack as well.

If you intend riding in foul conditions regularly it might be worthwhile, but even then probably only when you've actually worn the existing rims out.

If it's just for some summer messing about then not sure it is worth it, unless you've just got that itch to fettle a bike a bit... :lol:
The contents of this post, unless otherwise stated, are opinions of the author and may actually be complete codswallop
cyclop

Post by cyclop »

Why not just the front where you get most of your braking from?I,ve kept my old stumpjumper on the road,replaced front shocks years ago with disc shocks,still on the trails with some nice xt v brakes on the back
gregoryoftours

Post by gregoryoftours »

Yes assuming you go for cable disc brakes you'll need new wheels, rotors, calipers, cables, IS to post mount adapters for front and rear 160mm, plus a means of clearing the caliper for the pannier rack. This last is generally more difficult with cable calipers that tend to be bulkier than hydraulic disc brakes. In my opinion it's not worth the outlay for the result. Please post a photo of your current v-brakes, and your brake levers. Even mid range v-brakes set up properly with new cables can be really powerful. Something basic and solid like Shimano Alivio or Deore.
Colin63

Post by Colin63 »

These Paul v brakes get some rave reviews if it's increased power that you're looking for. The first is a link to a UK dealer and the second is to a discussion about them with someone who has just switched from disc brakes (cut to 11mins 30 secs for the brake discussion). It might be a cost-effective alternative to a major rebuild. I'm not knowledgeable to contribute with an answer to your question but thought this might be of interest.

https://www.bricklanebikes.co.uk/paul-c ... ake-silver

https://youtu.be/YbfZE9zSok4
nosmarbaj

Post by nosmarbaj »

Colin63 wrote: 8 Jun 2021, 10:38am These Paul v brakes ....

https://www.bricklanebikes.co.uk/paul-c ... ake-silver
These are mini-V brakes and work with road brake levers. If the OP has a normal MTB set-up with standard V-brakes and flat bars, they would need new levers and probably drop bars, as well as the brakes themselves. (I'm not sure if you can get suitable levers for flat bars).
Having said that, I'd be tempted by these Paul brakes for my tourer, if they were half the price!
gxaustin

Post by gxaustin »

(I'm not sure if you can get suitable levers for flat bars).
I found some flat bar levers that had adjustable pivots that can accommodate brakes with different pull requirements.

I have also used BMX levers on flat bars with road callipers with great success.