Headset Press Disaster

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Govnor

Re: Headset Press Disaster

Post by Govnor »

Or a Rawl bolt and slide hammer would work. If you cannot punch it out.

The bearing install tool looks more hassle than a lump of CLS timber and a lump hammer
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

I used rawl bolt once on something smilar . Did the job.
Sum

Post by Sum »

mattsccm wrote: 7 Jun 2021, 9:17pm Can you get a bit of bar down that small hole that will bites against something , be it head set or press? If so smack it one. Job will be done.
It does look as if something like a length of bar, or a long pin punch perhaps, should fit through the hole in one of the headset press cup holder, and then can be used to drift out either the other headset press cup holder, or the headset cup on the other side of the head tube.
merseymouth

Post by merseymouth »

H, Blind bearing removal tools are readily available. I Need one for journal bearing extraction on a tricycle, now in toolbox.
With a Roberts axle, odd spec, I had to insert the first part before threading in the expander bolt, but with a Higgins axle, it just goes straight in.
Wide range of sizes available. TTFN MM
rjb

Post by rjb »

+1 for an expanding rawlbolt. Insert, bolt up tight then knock out from the other end using an inserted long rod.
rawl-plug-bolt_1_2_1_1_1_1.jpg
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
fastpedaller

Post by fastpedaller »

Can you get a big pair of grips eg water-pump pliers around the outside of the press part and rotate/wiggle it until it moves?
MartinC

Post by MartinC »

Many thanks again for all the excellent suggestions. I've already tried drifting both out with a hefty blunt screwdriver (slightly concerned about damaging the head tube) and twisting with large stilsons and the vice but no success.

Plan is (later in the week when I have time) to try putting a rawlbolt in to drift against. I've a slide hammer bearing extractor on order too. A kettle of hot water is always available and I'll get a freeze spray too. I've got a wedge type crown race remover that might apply some pressure against the cups. So a combination of some or all of these will probably do the trick. The nuclear option is Colin's caustic soda method but I don't' think it will come to that.

Thanks again, I'll let you know the outcome.
531colin

Post by 531colin »

Before you think about using caustic, read up about the hazards.
When you dissolve the solid in water, it gets hot.....very hot.
Boiling caustic solution spitting up at your face is something you never forget....I think you are meant to add solid to the water, a bit at a time, not water to solid.....but look it up!! wear safety goggles, or one of the current Covid visors.
I think caustic dissolves ali but not steel, but what it'll do to the paint (powder coat?) I have no idea.
Be careful out there!
alexnharvey

Post by alexnharvey »

Add solid to water, slowly, and don't hold the vessel.

It'll remove the paint too, caustic solutions are also used to strip paint.

Would a cranked punch allow you to knock it out?
iandusud

Post by iandusud »

rjb wrote: 8 Jun 2021, 8:27am +1 for an expanding rawlbolt. Insert, bolt up tight then knock out from the other end using an inserted long rod.
rawl-plug-bolt_1_2_1_1_1_1.jpg
+1 for this, plus pouring a kettle of boiling water over the head tube before hitting.
zenitb

Post by zenitb »

Hmm... Grind flats on the end, then put a big spanner on and try and gradually twist it out (use extender bar for leverage) ?
Grinding flats ...
Grinding flats ...
Bodge version - mole grips ?

(TBH the Rawlbolt idea sounds better though .. you get your press back at the end)
Govnor

Post by Govnor »

zenitb wrote: 8 Jun 2021, 11:15pm Hmm... Grind flats on the end, then put a big spanner on and try and gradually twist it out (use extender bar for leverage) ?
flats.JPG
Bodge version - mole grips ?

(TBH the Rawlbolt idea sounds better though .. you get your press back at the end)
Grinder a very bad idea.

Risk damage to frame, destroy the tool and the race.
Slide hammer and a Rawl bolt
Poor man's version Rawl bolt and flat metal bar with hole. Tap gently and evenly.
Your at worst Marr the inside of the head race tool which could be cleaned up.

Now fitted many bearings (granted not bicycle ones) and would use a fly or hydraulic Press with correct inserts or if not too tight a lump of CLS, in this case the tool is more hassle than it is worth.
rogerzilla

Post by rogerzilla »

Sounds like a very unlucky clash between tool and headset. I've pressed loads of headsets with the same tool and never had any problems. I think the learning point is to check before applying pressure, and to insert a suitable washer if it looks as if the Cyclus stepped adaptors are close to the ID of the cups (which is non-standardised and depends on the bearing type and the thickness of the metal).
David9694

Post by David9694 »

Enjoying all the engineering terminology here.

I’ve just bought my first ever 6” vice and I’d putting the stuck bits in tight and then twisting, wriggling and pulling the frame to see if that frees one of them.
Spa Audax Ti Ultegra; Genesis Equilibrium 853; Raleigh Record Ace 1983; “Raleigh Competition”, “Raleigh Gran Sport 1982”; “Allegro Special”, Bob Jackson tourer, Ridley alu step-through with Swytch front wheel; gravel bike from an MB Dronfield 531 frame.
iandusud

Post by iandusud »

David9694 wrote: 10 Jun 2021, 9:44am Enjoying all the engineering terminology here.

I’ve just bought my first ever 6” vice and I’d putting the stuck bits in tight and then twisting, wriggling and pulling the frame to see if that frees one of them.
Be very careful to not bend your frame. Personally I would feel happier clamping the frame between some bits of wood taking in the head tube and top tube to spread the load (in a Workmate for example, getting someone to hold the Workmate steady) and then try to twist the stuck bit. Apply heat to the head tube with boiling water immediately before twisting.