Shimano PD-GR500 flat pedals - first thoughts.

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Colin63

Shimano PD-GR500 flat pedals - first thoughts.

Post by Colin63 »

A few weeks ago I bought these pedals after some very useful thoughts and advice from people on this forum. I think it was 2_i who asked me to give my impressions of them once I'd had a chance to whizz about a bit.
IMG_1114.JPG
I've been using them for a few hundred km now and so far I'm very pleased with them. In fact I don't think I've discovered anything I don't like yet.

1. The size of the platform is perfect for my wide size 8 feet which feel very well supported and have lots of space for different foot positions (a real bonus being able to shift position).
2. The screw-in pins have three height options depending on your activity. I have them set at their shortest and this has provided plenty of grip without feeling as if they'll damage the soles of my shoes.
3. I've been up hills between 6% and 16% and have felt as attached to my bike as when using cleats. I could feel no disadvantage at all.
4. Being able to leap on and off wearing normal day shoes is marvellous.
5. I tried a short ride with my spd cleated shoes after I'd ridden with these for a few days and found the spds very uncomfortable and restrictive which surprised me as I've been using them without complaint for donkey's years.
6. They look pretty smart on a steel touring bike.
7. They attract wildlife. This morning I saw three hares, a sedgewarbler, uncountable oystercatchers, lapwings and curlews.

I bought these to help with my injury recovery but I really can't see me going back to cleats again
zenitb

Re: Shimano PD-GR500 flat pedals - first thoughts.

Post by zenitb »

These PD-GR500 pedals appear to be cost engineered versions of the PD-MX80 "Saint" pedals. I think all they have done is change the finish and drop the gold anodised axle.
Shimano PD-GR500 vs PD-MX80
Shimano PD-GR500 vs PD-MX80
As such the PD-MX80 is a very robust pedal. I cycled to work in flats for a year or so .. in all weathers down our local canal and where other flat pedals had all the grease washed out of their bearings the PD-MX80s have been totally unaffected .. very well sealed and robust pedal bearings.

Like you I also like the large contact area.. I cycled to work in lace up, waterproof leather army boots with a big sole so these were ideal - they have the large surface area and alternative foot positions you mention Colin. I am starting to use flats for touring as well now (as my touring gets more and more casual - with more walking around grockeling) so these might be seeing wider use ... In fact I have bought a brand new pair of PD-GR500s like yours to put in my gear stash - in case the PD-MX80s wear out. If the PD-GR500 is anything like as good as the PD-MX80 (which I am sure it is - they only seem to differ cosmetically) then they are a bargain.
Colin63

Post by Colin63 »

zenitb wrote: 8 Jun 2021, 10:54pm These PD-GR500 pedals appear to be cost engineered versions of the PD-MX80 "Saint" pedals. I think all they have done is change the finish and drop the gold anodised axle.

In fact I have bought a brand new pair of PD-GR500s like yours to put in my gear stash - in case the PD-MX80s wear out. If the PD-GR500 is anything like as good as the PD-MX80 (which I am sure it is - they only seem to differ cosmetically) then they are a bargain.
They're marketed as 'entry-level' pedals. But the term 'entry level' is completely meaningless. I'm sure that it's a marketing term to make you believe that you'll need to buy more expensive pedals at a later date. The quality seems as high to me as any other pedal I've owned and I've never managed to wear out a set.

Out of interest -–as I'm experimenting with my setup– at what length do you have the pins fixed on yours?
zenitb

Post by zenitb »

Colin - With mine I left them at the standard setting, that is to say with a single washer behind the pin bolts. This means the pins are slightly shorter than they would be if you took the washers off.

My son has the same pedals on his (much used) mountain bikes and he managed to wear his pins down to the stage where he took out the washers to lengthen them again.

Here are my slightly battered PD-MX80s.
PD-MX80 with reflectors !!!!
PD-MX80 with reflectors !!!!
Note I have added the optional Shimano pedal reflectors - this caused outrage amongst my mountain biking mates - two of whom use these pedals on their jump/trail bikes.
colin54

Post by colin54 »

I've had a pair of the Saint MX80 for about 6 years now. I've had them apart about three times to adjust/regrease.
The first time I stripped them completely taking the tiny bearings out to inspect /clean. Fortunately, by the next time I came to do it a post from Brucey had set me straight about what was required, which was just to remove the bearing cartridge clean the old grease out of the pedal, fill with fresh grease and screw cartridge back into the pedal which expels any remaining old grease in the bearing cartridge itself. I took a picture using some red grease to show this happening, black grease being forced out above it (and obviously having done any bearing adjustments required beforehand).
P1140065.JPG
Click once or twice on the pictures to enlarge if required.
I serviced them the other day and took some pictures of the tools required and showing left and right hand threads which may be of use to some. Note the thread direction reversals drive side to non-drive side. That left hand lock-nut adjusting thread on the right hand spindle would be easy to damage/shear to the unwary; also being made of aluminium, the 20mm flats on the cartridge body itself are easily rounded off, use the correct size socket or spanner if available.
P1140051 (1280x877).jpg
P1140058.JPG
The two rows of bearings are contained within the steel race just below the lock nuts in the picture below, the gold anodised aluminium cartridge body supports the inboard end of the pedal spindle. The one thing I've noticed is that even with the bearings adjusted correctly there is a bit of play on the cartridge body along the the length of the spindle, which seems to translate to a bit of up and down play, pedal to spindle, when reassembled, though possibly there is a bit of wear on the internal diameter of the cartridge body where it bears on the spindle, or where the outer bearing race runs inside the pedal body. as well. I'm quite tempted to take one apart completely to have a look. The drive side pedal always seems to develop the most play, possibly the case in all pedals ?
I think Shimano use a similar cartridge in their SPD pedals, I wonder about the overhang beyond the cartridge on this style of flat pedal, it seems like a lot of leverage on the ball races to me. Possibly a longer cartridge to nearer the edge of the pedal would be improve the design ?
They're a well sealed comfortable pedal though, no real problems,with a lot of muddy off-road use included. I think they came with washers under the pins which I removed as they were a bit slippy with the hard sole shoes I was using.
If anyone notices any howlers in this post feel free to criticise, I can always amend it if I've got anything wrong.
It makes me appreciate Brucey's contributions to the forum even more when I see how long it takes to write just this one.
Good luck.
Edit :- Relevant Tech doc's added, they show a bush on the inboard end of the cartridge body on the MX80 & show the cartridge body as fitted to the OP's PD-GR500 having no bush, but listed as a 'B' match replacement for the PD-MX80 Saint (and most of the other parts interchangeable as well).They also show the massively expensive adjusting tool which is not required on these pedals
https://si.shimano.com/api/publish/stor ... 0-4223.pdf
https://si.shimano.com/api/publish/stor ... -3390B.pdf
Attachments
P1140056.JPG
Nu-Fogey
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Colin63 wrote: 8 Jun 2021, 10:08am I bought these to help with my injury recovery but I really can't see me going back to cleats again
Just over 3 years since I did exactly the same thing for exactly that reason. I never went back and know I never will.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
zenitb

Post by zenitb »

Great informative post Colin. Brucey would definitely approve (and would certainly be commenting - maybe some day :-) )
colin54 wrote: 10 Jun 2021, 11:34am ...
. The drive side pedal always seems to develop the most play, possibly the case in all pedals ?
I think you are right - I always seem to wear out the bearings on the drive side (right) pedal first - and checking my PD-MX80s sure enough the right one is slightly noisier and more draggy. I have assumed its because I always push off with that pedal but not sure really ...I am also right footed - do I put more power in on the right crank ? I think when I "jump" on the pedals to catch someone up I always start with the right foot.. is that the reason? - interested to hear the thoughts of others on that..
colin54 wrote: 10 Jun 2021, 11:34am I think Shimano use a similar cartridge in their SPD pedals, I wonder about the overhang beyond the cartridge on this style of flat pedal, it seems like a lot of leverage on the ball races to me. Possibly a longer cartridge to nearer the edge of the pedal would be improve the design ?
Actually I have had a very similar discussion on this with Brucey. We were hypothesising about the design of the PD-M323 and PD-M324 pedals where the outboard bearings are further out (but needing those special tools you mentioned to service) and where the PD-M324 had added more ball bearings over the older model. This gave a lot better placed outer bearing and if I recall correctly Brucey thought this was because non-SPD shoes would tend to stomp further out on the pedal than SPD ones. Certainly my experience (cycling in army boots) backs this up - the wide soles, and the freedom of sole movement, can put my feet further out than my SPDs. It is swings and roundabouts though because having to use those special tools to service the PD-M324 loose bearings is a real pain whereas with the PD-GR500 and PD-GX80 the servicing is simple, as you have shown well above Colin.
colin54 wrote: 10 Jun 2021, 11:34am
They're a well sealed comfortable pedal though, no real problems,with a lot of muddy off-road use included.
Agreed ... I hammered mine commuting in the mud with no issues... my two "bike park" friends like the grip doing jumps and stuff..
colin54 wrote: 10 Jun 2021, 11:34am .....
It makes me appreciate Brucey's contributions to the forum even more when I see how long it takes to write just this one.
yes agreed but thanks for taking the time to stitch it all together. Given Bruceys (hopefully) hiatus we really have to all chip in nowadays :-)
colin54 wrote: 10 Jun 2021, 11:34am
Edit :- Relevant Tech doc's added,
The tech docs are really useful. I have the PD-MX80s in use but the PD-GR500s in "the stash" so the diagrams are super useful in confirming we can mix and match parts. Those subtleties around the differences in spacers are interesting as well and worth watching out for.

Cheers

George
colin54

Post by colin54 »

zenitb, Thanks for the additional information and kind words George.
Nu-Fogey