Wheels for a big person

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
tatanab

Re: Wheels for a big person

Post by tatanab »

^^^^^^^^ oops. My wet finger calculation must have caught the wind wrongly.
mail@nickavery.com

Post by mail@nickavery.com »

Thanks again. I've got shiny new wheels from Spa and found out that I regularly ride with one person on the thread. I've only done about 40 km on them so the jury is out. Sadly I'll have to find a thread on hip flexor tears before I test them properly.
nez

Post by nez »

Ouch!
mail@nickavery.com

Just in case anybody is interested, the Spa wheels turned up trumps. Still as true as the day they were born.

Now I have a clanking under heavy climbing from the BB
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Re the noise, it really is important to keep an open mind because it could be caused by something other than the BB. We've had threads on this since long before there was a forum. Noting the frequency is important eg once per wheel rev; once per crank rev; once per passage of the chain.
nez

Post by nez »

mail@nickavery.com wrote: 25 Apr 2022, 8:14am Just in case anybody is interested, the Spa wheels turned up trumps. Still as true as the day they were born.

Everyone is interested. Once you go over 80 kilos modern bikes are more breakable. Unless of course you get one made of scaffolding poles from Halfords
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

mail@nickavery.com wrote: 25 Apr 2022, 8:14am Just in case anybody is interested, the Spa wheels turned up trumps. Still as true as the day they were born.

yes interested - thanks for reporting back - always nice when folks do after advice - all adds to knowledge.
Sweep
mail@nickavery.com

Maybe somebody can help. The clanking doesnt happen if i keep the pressure even, but it clicks under acceleration, clanks on climbing. Twice per turn of the crank, as the forward crank goes through 90° to the vertical and max pressure is applied.

Any ideas ?
slowster

Post by slowster »

Firstly, I suggest you lift the chain off the chainset and spin the cranks round with your fingers. You might be able to feel that the cranks are not spinning smoothly on the bearings, which would indeed indicate that the bottom bracket is the cause.

What type of bottom bracket is it? Assuming the cranks are square taper, depending on the age of the Dawes Galaxy, it might be a traditional adjustable cup and cone bottom bracket with separate cups, axle and ball bearings that are either loose or in a retainer. In the 1980s/1990s these were largely replaced by cartridge bottom brackets. As a general rule of thumb, the traditional type usually have a notched lockring on the non-drive side, but more details are here - https://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-he ... tification.

If it is the adjustable cup and cone type, then the first thing I would do if I were experiencing your problems, is disassemble and examine the various parts for damage etc. However, for that either you need the various tools as shown in this link - https://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-he ... p-and-cone, or you will have to get a bike shop to do it.

Servicing/repairing the cartridge type can similarly be problematic/impossible, depending on the type, i.e. when they develop a fault it may be necessary to replace the entire unit, unless it is the type which allows access to remove the two cartridge bearings and replace them.
yostumpy

Post by yostumpy »

I’ve had this and it wasn’ the BB. Stand around the front of the bike, facing the rear, with the front wheel between your legs. Bend over and put your forearms on the bars at the farthest most point front the stem, ie the bit before the brakes, and then push down, each side , alternately, quite hard and see if it clicks. Move the bike forward 1/5 revolution and repeat , then repeat. I found the 2 spokes on the front wheel were clicking loudly, where they cross in the middle, every time the wheel was loaded at a certain point, ( ie out of the saddle/ uphill, but not normal riding) Took me months to track it down. Thin piece of card between the spokes cured it on a test run, so emery cloth and a spot of grease cured it for good. Alternately a thin piece of card between each spoke and try it, if it stops remove one at a time.
But heavy clanking is likely to be BB related.
mail@nickavery.com

Thank you, off to the bike shop I think. Its a modern Galaxy, a tourer-hybrid Cross over with a cartridge BB. I'm guessing £20 in parts and 100 in tools.
mail@nickavery.com

Bike shop said categorically a pedal issue. New pedals are really nice, but had no effect on problem.

Thanks for advice, trying a different, if less convenient bike shop now !
mail@nickavery.com

nez wrote: 25 Apr 2022, 9:45am

Everyone is interested. Once you go over 80 kilos modern bikes are more breakable. Unless of course you get one made of scaffolding poles from Halfords
I was looking forward to debating this further with nez, sadly yesterday, he mounted the great Dawes Galaxy in the sky.