Clicking noise when pedalling - run out of ideas

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Moonraker Mike

Re: Clicking noise when pedalling - run out of ideas

Post by Moonraker Mike »

Thanks third crank - that makes more sense now. I think it per crank revolution
Moonraker Mike

Post by Moonraker Mike »

On other points. I may have to swap out the b/b and chainset but don’t have the tools for that.
I like the stethoscope and turbo trainer ideas.
This could be a summer project....
slowster

Post by slowster »

Moonraker Mike wrote: 9 Jun 2021, 9:05pm I may have to swap out the b/b and chainset but don’t have the tools for that.
If you exhaust the other possibilities (and assuming you have a threaded BB shell, i.e. not press fit), I think the only special tool you need is one for the cups, e.g. Park Tool BBT-69.2 or 19.2. You won't need the tools for bearing fitting and removal, because the bearings stay on the spindles (and you have already had them replaced by your LBS, so they are not the problem).

https://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-he ... tra-torque
Chris Jeggo

Post by Chris Jeggo »

The question being asked by nig, and picked up by thirdcrank, was
a) does the click occur exactly once per wheel revolution, or
b) does the click occur exactly once per chainwheel revolution, or
c) does the click occur exactly once per chain revolution?
In case (c), if, for example, your chain length is 114 or 116 links (pretty typical) and you are using a 46t chainwheel, a chain fault causing a click will occur very close to once every 2.5 chainwheel (pedal) revolutiions.
So how often does your bike click? The answer may greatly help diagnosis.
Tiggertoo

Post by Tiggertoo »

Very often I have found the cause of a 'clicking' revolution to be the need to oil the chain.
mjr

Post by mjr »

Moonraker Mike wrote: 9 Jun 2021, 7:20pm I've just swapped over the saddle to see if that's the issue, and have now run out of ideas.
Is it time for a new summer bike or am I missing something obvious?
Did you clean the clamp when swapping the saddle? I've had mystery clicks from grit in the saddle clamp before.

But don't let us stop you buying a new bike if you want one!
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
9494arnold

Post by 9494arnold »

Cracked roller on the chain?
I diagnosed this on a Tandem some years ago, a bind to find.
Also same Tandem, slightly different noise, a partially stripped Thread on one of the spoke nipples .
The possibilities are almost end less. :shock:
Tight chain link. ? :?:
Moonraker Mike

Post by Moonraker Mike »

Thanks for the further replies.
The b/b is threaded (BSA).
The clicking is per pedal revolution I think. I’ll try to get out tomorrow to double check. It’s not a chain issue as I’ve got a new chain and had the problem with the old chain too.

I cleaned the seat post when I refitted that, but didn’t clean the clamp when swapping saddles, so that can be added to the next list of diagnosis.

Much as I like the idea of a new bike I don’t want to be beaten by this, and it’s got a few more years life yet!
slowster

Post by slowster »

Moonraker Mike wrote: 9 Jun 2021, 10:50pm The clicking is per pedal revolution I think. I’ll try to get out tomorrow to double check.
Typically in my experience such noises will occur when the drive side crank is on the down stroke, i.e. at the 1 or 2 o'clock position.
Moonraker Mike wrote: 9 Jun 2021, 10:50pm I cleaned the seat post when I refitted that, but didn’t clean the clamp when swapping saddles, so that can be added to the next list of diagnosis.
I think it is more likely to occur with leather saddles, but I've occasionally found it necessary to smear the saddle rails very lightly with grease to cure creaks from that area. The mating surfaces of the upper and lower cradles of the saddle clamp should never have grease applied to them, but I do always grease the thread of the clamp bolt(s).
Chris Jeggo

Post by Chris Jeggo »

I once had a baffling noise at pedalling frequency. It was more a creak than a click. I, too, ran out of ideas and stopped looking. Soon after, I went to pick up the bike by the saddle and the saddle moved - relative to the bike, that is. The seat post had cracked nearly all the way round.
Another creak at pedalling frequency turned out to be from the saddlebag moving on the rack it rested on - cured by lubricating with talcum powder.
Another one, definitely a click this time, only occured when pedalling really hard in top gear. The cause was eventually revealed when I inspected the RH crank during cleaning and discovered small marks on the rounded edge of the inner face at the pedal eye. Things were bending enough for the crank to just touch the chain. (I was using a track crank with gears - it never occured to me that that could have a problem.)
So your click could be caused by something no-one has suggested yet, but there will be a cause, so keep looking.
pwa

Post by pwa »

I had a click that came with the pedal stroke and it turned out to be the seat post needing one extra turn of the bolt to secure it a bit more tightly. I played around with the pedals and bb before finding the culprit.
Debs

Post by Debs »

Moonraker Mike wrote: 9 Jun 2021, 10:50pm The clicking is per pedal revolution I think.
Worn or poorly adjusted shoe cleat?
Des49

Post by Des49 »

Another possibility could be some sort of component or frame sticker.

I personally dealt with a bike where a rigid clear sticker on the outside of a front mech was the cause of a click, this was partially unstuck at one end and so caught the crank only in one direction when pedalling. It was also difficult to see.

I remember a while back on this forum there was a post about a similar issue, the culprit was found to be a frame sticker near the bottom bracket which caught the crank.

Both of the above gave a click per pedal rev, but only in one direction.
rjb

Post by rjb »

Something else to check. the fit of the saddle onto the saddle frame. spray some silicon {furniture polish} onto the saddle frame where the rods fit into the saddle both front and back. Ive had this one which took some finding. :wink:
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

I've had a click every time I pushed on the pedal. Hard to identify because you are just pedalling.

It turned out to be grit on pedal thread. Only tiny amount. Also can be if pedal not tight enough, or bearing slightly worn.

Admittedly as a touring cyclist , I remove my pedals quite often for non bike travel.