Clicking noise when pedalling - run out of ideas

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
De Sisti

Re: Clicking noise when pedalling - run out of ideas

Post by De Sisti »

I experienced an annoying clicking noise on one of my bikes a few years ago. I assumed it was
probably the square tapered bottom bracket, so set about changing it when I got home. I was in for a big surprise. It transpired that a crack had developed around the seat tube and down tube. It was on a titanium frame that I bought from China. The other two frames bought from the same company are still going strong.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/28886154@ ... ateposted/
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

If at all possible, work out how to replicate when stationary.

If it's every pedal stroke, standing or bouncing on the pedal at 3 o'clock may work (whilst bracing the bike against a wall); alternatively try holding front wheel between your knees whilst twisting the bars hard in all three axes.

If you can replicate, diagnosing becomes much easier.

Anything bolted anywhere on the frame can cause such a noise, I've had bottle cages, racks, saddle rails, QR fixings, stand, chainring bolts, cracked frame, handlebars as culprits.
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Debs wrote: 10 Jun 2021, 5:10am
Moonraker Mike wrote: 9 Jun 2021, 10:50pm The clicking is per pedal revolution I think.
Worn or poorly adjusted shoe cleat?
He's swapped that out Debs
I am here. Where are you?
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

MY moneys on the seat post or seat post tube area since standing on the pedals stop the click. This is exactly what I had -- took me a while too work it out.
Moonraker Mike

Post by Moonraker Mike »

Thanks Cowsham. That was my thought. I've refitted the seatpost with carbon paste, changed the saddle (and back again) and cleaned the contact points; not sure what else I can do in this area?
The clicking is on every pedal revolution; trying the bike out earlier I think it is still there but quieter when I stand up - it was frustratingly blustery to listen properly.
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Moonraker Mike wrote: 10 Jun 2021, 5:04pm Thanks Cowsham. That was my thought. I've refitted the seatpost with carbon paste, changed the saddle (and back again) and cleaned the contact points; not sure what else I can do in this area?
The clicking is on every pedal revolution; trying the bike out earlier I think it is still there but quieter when I stand up - it was frustratingly blustery to listen properly.
Yes same here too much wind to hear something like that -- mine was a further hard to diagnose because I thought I'd tightened the post enough before but it needed a real horsing up ( if you know what that means ) before the clicking stopped.
Marcus Aurelius

Post by Marcus Aurelius »

Check the joins on the rims. I’ve had a few that had a shonky join, and that caused the click. If you spin the wheel with your hand against the side of the rim, you’ll feel a sharp / rough bit if they’re wrong.
fastpedaller

Post by fastpedaller »

De Sisti wrote: 10 Jun 2021, 7:38am I experienced an annoying clicking noise on one of my bikes a few years ago. I assumed it was
probably the square tapered bottom bracket, so set about changing it when I got home. I was in for a big surprise. It transpired that a crack had developed around the seat tube and down tube. It was on a titanium frame that I bought from China. The other two frames bought from the same company are still going strong.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/28886154@ ... ateposted/
Wow! - the bottom bracket was (almost) entirely held in position by the front derailleur cable :wink:
fastpedaller

Post by fastpedaller »

How about a shoe being the problem? I know the cleats have been changed, but could it be a cracked sole on one of the shoes?
Chris Jeggo

Post by Chris Jeggo »

My knees sometimes creak! I'm thinking of fitting a grease nipple. :D
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

As an aside -- I thought my seat post click had returned one morning on a commute to work -- got off the bike checked and wiggled everything -- examined chain -- derailers -- had to take my glasses out of my backpack to have a closer look --

Glasses weren't in the backpack -- panic ! -- I'd need my glasses for work !!

Where are my glasses ??? -- feeling my pockets in my cycle top --- CLICK -- CLICK

"you silly old twaaaaat" -- I said to myself.

Put glasses on and cycled on into work silently.
gregoryoftours

Post by gregoryoftours »

Another small thing to try, wiggle all of your cable outers. Pedaling can flex the frame enough to cause sections of cable outer to creak/click where they sit in the frame stops, or the longitudinal strands in gear outer can do the same. The bars turning ever so slightly as you push on the pedals can do the same. Also strip and grease stem bolts, headset and interface between spacers etc. Do you have mudguards/pannier rack fitted? At what point of the crank rotation does the click occur, is it a single solitary click per revolution, exactly what sort of noise is it, and what sort of volume is it?
fastpedaller

Post by fastpedaller »

After reading all the above yesterday, i went out today and had (you've guessed it) a ticking that happened every crank rev - I just ignored it and it eventually went away :lol:
gregoryoftours

Post by gregoryoftours »

Maybe that's the solution; when it clicks, just coast.
mumbojumbo

Post by mumbojumbo »

It is perhaps caused by loose change or washers secreted in your brogues or breeches .I often cycle to the shops and take paper money for the victuals but always end up with a few fartings or tanners in loose change.You could try lubricating your pockets.