How often should one change one's D lock?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Tangled Metal

Re: How often should one change one's D lock?

Post by Tangled Metal »

I changed mine when I lost the key, then found the key but lost the lock. I think I have both now but I've moved on with my newer lock.

Right now I don't use a lock. Brompton purchase for commuting means I don't need one most of the time. My leisure riding the bike isn't left alone. Best defence is folded up and under your desk or next to you in the cafe.
ambodach

Post by ambodach »

I once had to collect a bike left in a garden shed as the owner had died. It was secured with 3 locks and I only had one key for one lock. I was shocked at how easy it was to break the other locks. Took me about 10 minutes.
chris_suffolk

Post by chris_suffolk »

Reading all the above, nobody has given any reasons, other than damage, as to why a lock needs replacing. The original question suggested that the OP thought there was a timescale rather then being forced into replacing because of loss or damage, which can happen anytime and isn't really a timescale.
Sid Aluminium

Post by Sid Aluminium »

I bought my Citadel in 1977.

Somehow, despite what one might see on Youtube, in the 44 years since it's never been picked, jacked, or cut with an angle grinder, hydraulic bolt cutter or thermite. I still use it. Unless the lock model is subsequently identified as having a blitheringly simple defeat method, I think a quality D-lock should last a lifetime.

Use good locking technique/protocol.

Lock up next to someone with a nicer bike who uses a little cable. :shock:

Don't lose the keys.

Mechanical locks aren't maintenance-free. Keep your locks clean and lubricated. (On the advice of a locksmith with 50 years' experience, I use DuPont Non-Stick dry film lubricant.)
freiston

Post by freiston »

chris_suffolk wrote: 14 Jun 2021, 3:29pm Reading all the above, nobody has given any reasons, other than damage, as to why a lock needs replacing. The original question suggested that the OP thought there was a timescale rather then being forced into replacing because of loss or damage, which can happen anytime and isn't really a timescale.
I saw damage, stopped working, lost key, worn out (so that it is no longer secure) as reasons given. The OP replied in the 4th post that he thought they might have vulnerabilities discovered as thieves get more devious - that was replied to comprehensively by mjr.
Disclaimer: Treat what I say with caution and if possible, wait for someone with more knowledge and experience to contribute. ;)
Stevek76

Post by Stevek76 »

I'd be surprised if any beyond a few tubulars got picked on the street. Just in the same way that most houses are broken into through the window or similar and even the minority where the lock is attacked it's destructively via snapping or drilling. Picking requires knowledge and some skill, it's an ability of locksmiths, spies and hobbyists, not thieves. Picking at the kind of level that LPL is at takes thousands of hours of practice and should not be taken as representative.

The cheap pen trick just about crossed into the real world as it was almost zero skill, needed no tools and tubular locks with this flaw were almost universal in bike locks, even then it was far from reliable (doesn't work on my old dlock, the dedicated tools might but the heights in adjacent pins are too great for a plastic tube to deform).
The contents of this post, unless otherwise stated, are opinions of the author and may actually be complete codswallop
gaz

Post by gaz »

I 'retired' my 1988 Citadel in 2009(ish). It was an old design and particularly vulnerable to certain types of attack but the concern for me was that the key was looking extremely worn and I had no spare. It now serves as a ground anchor in the shed.

Mrs gaz's Specialized D-Lock, a 1999(ish) model expired in 2019. The mechanism was extremely reluctant to accept the cylinder key. Eventually it unlocked, the lightly used spare key broke on the way out. A squirt around of WD40 did the necessary to get it going again but it will never be trusted. Now an extension of the ground anchor.

There was also a cheapo D-Lock that I picked up in Wilkos maybe 2014 on which the lock became reluctant 2020. Retired and replaced, it was only ever intended as a secondary D-Lock for commuting the replacement was either Gold or Silver rated, I forget which.

Of course you don't have to use the old ones as ground anchors, there's always D-Lock croquet.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
MartinC

Post by MartinC »

I don't think there's a helpful reply to this. If you turn up and the lock is gone or broken than you need to replace it. If it's still there but the bike is gone it probably needs replacing too.