How often should one change one's D lock?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
SA_SA_SA

How often should one change one's D lock?

Post by SA_SA_SA »

How often should one change one's D lock, in order to maintain security given that they are expensive lumps?
------------You may not use this post in Cycle or other magazine ------ 8)
chris_suffolk

Re: How often should one change one's D lock?

Post by chris_suffolk »

Why would it need replacing, unless it's become damaged in some way?
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

When it no longer works or you’ve lost the key.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
SA_SA_SA

Post by SA_SA_SA »

Paulatic wrote: 10 Jun 2021, 2:50pm When it no longer works or you’ve lost the key.
I presumed older ones might gain vulnerabilitieks as thiefs get deviouser and deviouser, like for computer viruses?
Last edited by SA_SA_SA on 10 Jun 2021, 2:55pm, edited 1 time in total.
------------You may not use this post in Cycle or other magazine ------ 8)
Govnor

Post by Govnor »

When you find it cut and the bike gone or it's so worn out the lock can be opened with a teaspoon or a straw
mjr

Post by mjr »

SA_SA_SA wrote: 10 Jun 2021, 2:54pm
Paulatic wrote: 10 Jun 2021, 2:50pm When it no longer works or you’ve lost the key.
I presumed older ones might gain vulnerabilitieks as thiefs get deviouser and deviouser, like for computer viruses?
When a lock vulnerability is discovered, it tends to become quite well-publicised, such as the vulnerability of O-keys to plastic tubes. I suspect most D locks are broken due to poor use that leaves space for bottle jacks, failing to lock the bike well (such as locking a few spokes, or only locking one wheel rim) and of course noisy brute-force attacks like angle grinders. I doubt that many get picked.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Govnor

Post by Govnor »

Public place and a kryptonite or sold secure.
Be aware plenty are picked in sub 3 minutes on YouTube.

Hydraulic cutter on plant equipment makes next to zero noise or cordless grinder popular.
Steve O'C

Post by Steve O'C »

Have a look at this guy opening almost everything with apparent ease. Strangely hypnotic I find

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCm9K6r ... igLoZOh6FQ[/youtube]
Colin63

Post by Colin63 »

I had an early Citadel D lock which I bought in about 1981 and it was in use for more than three decades. I used it to secure some step ladders to a drainpipe in my back garden. Eventually I sold the house but the lock key was lost and so the ladders became an 'extra' that went with the house along with a Chesterfield sofa I couldn't get out of the living room door. I peered through the back fence recently and the ladders are still there. So I guess the advice is that if you have a decent D lock don't lose the key and it'll last forever! I use an Abus D lock now and have several spare keys secreted about.
Colin63

Post by Colin63 »

Steve O'C wrote: 10 Jun 2021, 4:36pm Have a look at this guy opening almost everything with apparent ease. Strangely hypnotic I find

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCm9K6r ... igLoZOh6FQ[/youtube]
Was relieved to see him endorse the Abus Granit X as that's what I use. Terrifying how a dedicated and skilled locksmith can get into a lock though.
richardfm

Post by richardfm »

Govnor wrote: 10 Jun 2021, 4:30pm Public place and a kryptonite or sold secure.

Hydraulic cutter on plant equipment makes next to zero noise or cordless grinder popular.
Years ago my son locked a bike with a D lock in the middle of Cardiff while he went to work. When it was time to go home he couldn't find the key and there was no spare. I drove in to town with a 2 stroke generator and a corded angle grinder. No one batted an eyelid while I freed his bike.
Richard M
Cardiff
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

It's worth checking that the locking mechanism still works correctly on old or well used locks.

I had a cable lock when touring. I religiously locked it when leaving the bike. Opened it on return with the key. One day I happened to pull the cable and out it popped from the lock. The locking catch was so worn that although it still held the end in place and opened it with the key, it didn't 'lock' securely. I often wondered how long it had been like that.
Govnor

Post by Govnor »

richardfm wrote: 10 Jun 2021, 5:00pm
Govnor wrote: 10 Jun 2021, 4:30pm Public place and a kryptonite or sold secure.

Years ago my son locked a bike with a D lock in the middle of Cardiff while he went to work. When it was time to go home he couldn't find the key and there was no spare. I drove in to town with a 2 stroke generator and a corded angle grinder. No one batted an eyelid while I freed his bike.
Sounds about right, locally we say you never really own a plant trailer as they get nicked for a past time.

Some of these fancy pants racing cycle's seem to cost thousands, like the one at work supposed to be something wonderful.

Maybe a cheap bike for work and a nice one for leisure times?
rogerzilla

Post by rogerzilla »

When people used to go to the office, there was a newish Pinarello in our bike shed secured with one of those cable locks you can (literally) snap by hand.
drossall

Post by drossall »

Colin63 wrote: 10 Jun 2021, 4:43pm I had an early Citadel D lock which I bought in about 1981 and it was in use for more than three decades.
I'm still using the one that my then girlfriend, now wife, bought me around then as a birthday present. I don't maintain that it's the highest security, but I generally maintain a runaround and lock it only briefly these days.

All the original keys broke from use (they are brass), but a cutter managed to make a new set for me.
Last edited by drossall on 14 Jun 2021, 8:18am, edited 1 time in total.