speedplay frog bearings

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
nez

speedplay frog bearings

Post by nez »

One of my frog pedals has bound up. When I took it apart - despite being plugged with grease - one of the bearings has corroded. There are two bearings, the outer one is a conventional race - that's fine. The inner is pin rollers inside a shell. Despite endless searching of tinternet I can't find spares for speedplay frogs, which I believe are discontinued. But I thought someone more mechanical may have had the same problem and sourced bearings. If this long shot doesn't work, I'd be grateful for advice on a place where I could search for them. I have both micrometer and vernier so could easily get the dimensions. I'll try to attach a picture.Image

Thanks
Attachments
IMG_0620.JPG
rjb

Re: speedplay frog bearings

Post by rjb »

Likely to be a standard size roller bearing available from most bearing suppliers, or even flebay. The critical dimensions you need are the od, id, and the bearing width. The od is the outside diameter of the bearing. The id is the internal diameter but this will also be the od of the axle at the bearing surface. You can use your micrometer to measure all 3 dimensions. :wink:
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
nez

Post by nez »

rjb wrote: 11 Jun 2021, 6:49pm Likely to be a standard size roller bearing available from most bearing suppliers, or even flebay. The critical dimensions you need are the od, id, and the bearing width. The od is the outside diameter of the bearing. The id is the internal diameter but this will also be the od of the axle at the bearing surface. You can use your micrometer to measure all 3 dimensions. :wink:
Thanks for that advice. Exactly what I needed. I used to use the micrometer for something (I can't remember what) on a motor bike donkey's years ago. It has sat in a drawer in the shed nestled to a dial gauge and waiting to spring into action ever since. I remember what I used the dial gauge for! Since we don't make anything in Britain anymore we are awash with ancient high quality measuring tools
nez

Post by nez »

I think this will be the last time with them. Just discovered replacement cleats are 299 euros on ebay and unavailable elsewhere. Seems a pity that Speedplay/Wahoo have given up on such a good piece of kit. I have two sets. I’ll have to go through the box in the shed and find my old Look pedals next. :(
SIL4

Post by SIL4 »

They are brilliant pedals - I have two sets in use and two worn sets for spares. It's just a pity the bodies and cleats tend to wear so quickly: the most annoying thing are the ridiculously soft and shallow cleat screws - halloumi is probably more robust.

What to replace them with when all fours set eventually die will be a problem.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Yes, brilliant pedals. Best ever for me, and I have them on both my bikes. I have shoes and sandals and a spare set of cleats.

it's a damned pity that Speedplay have dropped them from their line-up. I hear Speedplay are under new ownership.

As for the bearings, you can still buy them and with the O rings.
https://www.airevelobearings.com/produc ... pedal-kit/

I've looked at Simply Bearings for the bearings separately, but the above link is the best option. Seriously considering buying a couple of sets so I'm future-proofed.

I've not had an issue with the cleats or the screws.
Mick F. Cornwall
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

PS, my Frogs get lubed almost weekly.

The Halfords bike grease gun is perfect for it. Can't seem to see the gun on their website.

This is it.
IMG_0605.jpg
Mick F. Cornwall
nez

Post by nez »

Mick F wrote: 12 Jun 2021, 9:13am Yes, brilliant pedals. Best ever for me, and I have them on both my bikes. I have shoes and sandals and a spare set of cleats.

it's a damned pity that Speedplay have dropped them from their line-up. I hear Speedplay are under new ownership.

As for the bearings, you can still buy them and with the O rings.
https://www.airevelobearings.com/produc ... pedal-kit/

I've looked at Simply Bearings for the bearings separately, but the above link is the best option. Seriously considering buying a couple of sets so I'm future-proofed.

I've not had an issue with the cleats or the screws.
Just ordered two sets. Can’t say thanks enough for that. I thought I was going mad searching tinternet for service kits.
nez

Post by nez »

Mick F wrote: 12 Jun 2021, 9:22am PS, my Frogs get lubed almost weekly.

The Halfords bike grease gun is perfect for it. Can't seem to see the gun on their website.

This is it.

IMG_0605.jpg
I think Park do those. I have the other sort which you press with your palm or thumb
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

nez wrote: 12 Jun 2021, 9:49amJust ordered two sets. Can’t say thanks enough for that. I thought I was going mad searching tinternet for service kits.
:D :D

I Googled for Speedplay Frogs and landed on that site after a few dead-ends. I bookmarked it for future use.
The bearings are these.
Screen Shot 2021-06-12 at 10.17.29.png
Screen Shot 2021-06-12 at 10.17.29.png (4.51 KiB) Viewed 392 times

If you go to Simply Bearings, you can put those code numbers in.
https://simplybearings.co.uk/shop/advan ... rds=686-zz
https://simplybearings.co.uk/shop/advan ... ds=hk+1010
https://simplybearings.co.uk/shop/advan ... ords=bs012
Mick F. Cornwall
nez

Post by nez »

The needle bearings in their frog kit were perfect, the roller bearings too small. - just a different size. Didn't matter to me as the roller bearings are fine and the construction of the pedal tells me the needle bearings do most of the work.

I do wonder if it’s possible to get the cleats 3d printed, you know
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I ain't got a clue about "printing" them.

I have a pair of Shimano sandals with Frog cleats and a pair of Exustar Stelvio shoes with them too.
Also have a brand new pair of cleats.
They'll see me out, I reckon.

Wot I did woz .......................... bought the Frogs for Moulton (which come with cleats of course) and I was so pleased with them, and my Campag pedals and cleats were wearing out on Mercian, so bought another pair of Frogs (which come with cleats of course) which means I had a spare pair of cleats as at that time, as I only had the Exustar shoes.

Then bought the Shimano sandals, and decided to buy another pair of cleats. This meant that I had three pairs of cleats for only two pairs of footwear.
Mick F. Cornwall
nez

Post by nez »

Let’s hope so. The pair I had to replace had broken one of their retaining tabs