Paint strippers

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
GayUnicorn

Paint strippers

Post by GayUnicorn »

We tried a paint and varnish stripper from a local independent DIY place, it rusted like it contains water and not much else.

There was talk that dot 4 brake fluid will strip enamel off a model railway carriage by pensioner who saw us fail.

Is this true that a pot of brake fluid dot 4 will loosen paint? How long until it works as in hours or days?
Last edited by GayUnicorn on 13 Jun 2021, 8:08pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rod Goodfellow

Re: Paint stripper's

Post by Rod Goodfellow »

I have used Nitromors paint stripper successfully on bike enamel.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I presume different solvents work on different paints. Re: brake fluid, there are, presumably different formulations, but about fifty years ago I investigated an incident where a large can of the stuff had been poured over a parked car, very effectively exposing large areas of shiny bare metal. (The trigger for the incident was some sort of matrimonial intrigue.)
rogerzilla

Post by rogerzilla »

Nitromors has apparently been reformulated over the years and, as is the way of such things, it's now less hazardous but also less effective.

The Wilko stuff worked tolerably well last year when I was restoring a cast iron vice. I would guess that was also stove enamelled.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Yes. the active ingredient in Nitromors was dichloromethane (= methylene chloride). This is no longer used in the retailed proprietary product.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nitromors
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dichloromethane#Toxicity

Jonathan
GayUnicorn

Post by GayUnicorn »

https://www.thevehiclelab.com/dot3-vs-dot4-brake-fluid/

Seems dot 3 was common years ago and brake fluid has to meet a specification-but you can use what you like.

See the old bike restoration thread but wanted to buy some today.

We have a Wickes Toolstation and Screwfix locally.

Brought

"Bartoline TX10 Paint and Varnish Stripper is an extremely effective non‑Methylene Chloride paint stripper ideal for use by inexperienced DIYers as well as .."

It's useless
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Nitromors - of Fishponds fame - is not the product it was, back in the '70s - get a splash of Nitromors on your skin - or worst of all - in your eye! and you knew about it... nowadays it is shadow of its former self. It is however better than the white goop sold by ScrewFix, Wicks etc... which is barely worth the effort.
PS the op will be delighted to learn that the apostrophe in stripper's is not required - the plural of paint-stripper is simply paint-strippers. Switch the effort required to add the apostrophe to adding instead a dash between paint and stripper and you will be in business!
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
GayUnicorn

Post by GayUnicorn »

simonineaston wrote: 12 Jun 2021, 12:42pm Nitromors - of Fishponds fame - is not the product it was, back in the '70s - get a splash of Nitromors on your skin - or worst of all - in your eye! and you knew about it... nowadays it is shadow of its former self. It is however better than the white goop sold by ScrewFix, Wicks etc... which is barely worth the effort.
PS the op will be delighted to learn that the apostrophe in stripper's is not required - the plural of paint-stripper is simply paint-strippers. Switch the effort required to add the apostrophe to adding instead a dash between paint and stripper and you will be in business!
Not sure and now confused.
I'm not talking about multiple types of paint and one type of product.
I'm taking about one paint and multiple products and one that works on enamel.

I did not realise that punctuation was a requirement to discuss bicycles
Jdsk

Paint strippers

Post by Jdsk »

I wouldn't use brake fluid to strip anything from anything.

If I had to choose a solvent to remove a small amount of enamel paint from metal surfaces it would be acetone. NB safety precautions.

Jonathan

PS: The Hierarchy of Solvents:
viewtopic.php?p=1575871#p1575871
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=7292&start=15#p1520512
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

Paint stripper's what?
Have we got time for another cuppa?
alexnharvey

Post by alexnharvey »

Star-chem is often recommended in previous discussions. Haven't tried it myself but if i needed to strip paint it's probably what I'd buy.

It's never too late to learn good punctuation and it's not an either or, you can have the discussion and the lesson in parallel. :D
Jdsk

Paint strippers

Post by Jdsk »

alexnharvey wrote: 12 Jun 2021, 2:12pm Star-chem is often recommended in previous discussions. Haven't tried it myself but if i needed to strip paint it's probably what I'd buy.
I haven't heard of that, but if I've got the right stuff it's mostly dichloromethane, as in the old Nitromors:
https://www.spraygunsdirect.co.uk/media ... safety.pdf

Jonathan
alexnharvey

Re: Paint strippers

Post by alexnharvey »

Jdsk wrote: 12 Jun 2021, 2:28pm
alexnharvey wrote: 12 Jun 2021, 2:12pm Star-chem is often recommended in previous discussions. Haven't tried it myself but if i needed to strip paint it's probably what I'd buy.
I haven't heard of that, but if I've got the right stuff it's mostly dichloromethane, as in the old Nitromors:
https://www.spraygunsdirect.co.uk/media ... safety.pdf

Jonathan
Hi Jonathan, yes, I think that is why it's recommended.
cycle tramp

Post by cycle tramp »

Audax67 wrote: 12 Jun 2021, 1:13pm Paint stripper's what?
Don't. Painting strippers may seen to be a violation of the recording rule, and there's not the market for any works of art featuring this type of act.
It's time to go :-)
David9694

Post by David9694 »

It's never too late to learn good punctuation and it's not an either or, you can have the discussion and the lesson in parallel. :D
No, never too late, i agree.
Spa Audax Ti Ultegra; Genesis Equilibrium 853; Raleigh Record Ace 1983; “Raleigh Competition”, “Raleigh Gran Sport 1982”; “Allegro Special”, Bob Jackson tourer, Ridley alu step-through with Swytch front wheel; gravel bike from an MB Dronfield 531 frame.