Paint strippers

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
GayUnicorn

Re: Paint stripper's

Post by GayUnicorn »

Sorry not understanding,
So we need old style products?
alexnharvey

Post by alexnharvey »

Dichloromethane, DCM, is a very effective paint stripping chemical. It's still available in the star chem product. It's also very, very bad for you, a neurotoxin, which is why it is effectively banned and was removed from most domestic products, which were reformulated.

Blasting the frame is another option, no nasty chemicals.
Jdsk

Re: Paint strippers

Post by Jdsk »

GayUnicorn wrote: 12 Jun 2021, 1:31am We tried a paint and varnish stripper from a local independent DIY place, it rusted like it contains water and not much else.

There was talk that dot 4 brake fluid will strip enamel off a model railway carriage by pensioner who saw us fail.

Is this true that a pot of brake fluid dot 4 will loosen paint? How long until it works as in hours or days?
What sort of paint are you trying to remove from what? What's the approximate area? Is there anything valuable nearby?

Jonathan
GayUnicorn

Post by GayUnicorn »

Steel frame for bicycle and black or very dark green paint it's from about 1980.
Want to paint it as rusty.
Watching YouTube we should just strip paint and then primer and top coat.
There was a video about it with a Welsh athlete that made it look simple GCN channel.
The product from local DIY place is a white gell and does nothing to this paint which is very hard
axel_knutt

Post by axel_knutt »

GayUnicorn wrote: 13 Jun 2021, 10:24am The product from local DIY place is a white gell and does nothing to this paint which is very hard
Is it paint or powder coating?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Powder_co ... er_coating
“I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.”
― Friedrich Nietzsche
nosmarbaj

Post by nosmarbaj »

alexnharvey wrote: 13 Jun 2021, 5:12am Dichloromethane, DCM, is a very effective paint stripping chemical. It's still available in the star chem product. It's also very, very bad for you, a neurotoxin, which is why it is effectively banned and was removed from most domestic products, which were reformulated.
While the starchem stripper may be "available", from reading the safety sheet linked previously by Jdsk, it seems its use is legally restricted to professional paint shops and similar, so I doubt if you can find it in the likes of Screwfix etc.
GayUnicorn

Post by GayUnicorn »

It's like gloss paint, so an enamel I think.
It's not powder coating as it won't chip and can be scratched.
fausto99

Post by fausto99 »

Plea from a pedant: please take out that apostrophe from the title :lol:
alexnharvey

Post by alexnharvey »

nosmarbaj wrote: 13 Jun 2021, 12:23pm
alexnharvey wrote: 13 Jun 2021, 5:12am Dichloromethane, DCM, is a very effective paint stripping chemical. It's still available in the star chem product. It's also very, very bad for you, a neurotoxin, which is why it is effectively banned and was removed from most domestic products, which were reformulated.
While the starchem stripper may be "available", from reading the safety sheet linked previously by Jdsk, it seems its use is legally restricted to professional paint shops and similar, so I doubt if you can find it in the likes of Screwfix etc.
You can buy it on eBay if you are willing to tell a little fib, for better or worse.
GayUnicorn

Post by GayUnicorn »

fausto99 wrote: 13 Jun 2021, 5:49pm Plea from a pedant: please take out that apostrophe from the title :lol:
Apologies, not too technical, didn't know that as Original poster an edit possible.

Also didn't know about safety sheets so that's a new one, will look on internet for suitable product and use Goggles and rubber gloves.
fausto99

Post by fausto99 »

GayUnicorn wrote: 13 Jun 2021, 8:12pm
fausto99 wrote: 13 Jun 2021, 5:49pm Plea from a pedant: please take out that apostrophe from the title :lol:
Apologies, not too technical, didn't know that as Original poster an edit possible.

Also didn't know about safety sheets so that's a new one, will look on internet for suitable product and use Goggles and rubber gloves.
Cheers.

Chemical stripping is a nasty messy job - are you sure you wouldn't be better off getting it shot/sand blasted? My local guy charges about £30 for a bike frame and forks. What you get back is totally free of rust and ready for priming. (Do not touch a blasted steel frame with bare hands to avoid contaminating the surface)
GayUnicorn

Post by GayUnicorn »

fausto99 wrote: 14 Jun 2021, 8:10am
GayUnicorn wrote: 13 Jun 2021, 8:12pm

Cheers.

Chemical stripping is a nasty messy job - are you sure you wouldn't be better off getting it shot/sand blasted? My local guy charges about £30 for a bike frame and forks. What you get back is totally free of rust and ready for priming. (Do not touch a blasted steel frame with bare hands to avoid contaminating the surface)
That's a very good point, I will have a look locally as from what your saying it's cheap, I thought it would be a lot more expensive.
alexnharvey

Post by alexnharvey »

£20 for sand blasting here.
rogerzilla

Post by rogerzilla »

A blasted frame must be primed asap, usually the same day, and must not be touched with bare hands (sweat). A little rust will stop paint sticking - unless it's Hammerite! - and will spread under paint.
alexnharvey

Post by alexnharvey »

rogerzilla wrote: 14 Jun 2021, 9:10pm A blasted frame must be primed asap, usually the same day, and must not be touched with bare hands (sweat). A little rust will stop paint sticking - unless it's Hammerite! - and will spread under paint.
Unless the blasting and priming can happen immediately in the same building, standard practice is to apply a phosphate coating immediately after blasting which prevents rust and it's easy to prime over.