Touch up paint

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Lights

Touch up paint

Post by Lights »

Hi can anyone help me, wanting to find some touch up paint for this parkway folding bike. Looks like metallic greyish silver?

Many thanks
Attachments
F0055B48-2A9E-433F-8242-348EACB7B6A4.jpeg
David9694

Re: Touch up paint

Post by David9694 »

Your best bet is taking it to your local accessory shop for a tin of Holts.
Spa Audax Ti Ultegra; Genesis Equilibrium 853; Raleigh Record Ace 1983; “Raleigh Competition”, “Raleigh Gran Sport 1982”; “Allegro Special”, Bob Jackson tourer, Ridley alu step-through with Swytch front wheel; gravel bike from an MB Dronfield 531 frame.
GayUnicorn

Post by GayUnicorn »

Some body shops have a machine that will colour match, there is one in the next town that also does car body panels for accident damage cars.
Lights

Post by Lights »

Ok thank you, Went to Halfords and they had no clue. Yes will try a body paint garage instead. Thank you.
drossall

Post by drossall »

I've had success variously with Halfords touch-up paint and Humbrol and similar modelling enamels. But for a silver bike like that, Halfords will have about 100 possibles and you have to guess which will match!
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Or order a tin of Hammerite smooth off of Amazon...
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
Lights

Post by Lights »

Ok thanks, yes thought they may have some, was surprised when they said they couldn’t help. Thanks for the suggestions. The pictures are not a true reflection is like a metallic dark grey which gives off a blue colour shine.
David9694

Post by David9694 »

Lights wrote: 14 Jun 2021, 9:02am Ok thank you, Went to Halfords and they had no clue. Yes will try a body paint garage instead. Thank you.
I tried this at my nearest colour match place - apparently the machine needs to read off a flat area, so no good for round tubes, but you might get away with it.
Spa Audax Ti Ultegra; Genesis Equilibrium 853; Raleigh Record Ace 1983; “Raleigh Competition”, “Raleigh Gran Sport 1982”; “Allegro Special”, Bob Jackson tourer, Ridley alu step-through with Swytch front wheel; gravel bike from an MB Dronfield 531 frame.
PH

Post by PH »

Good luck finding an exact match, I've never managed it, even using the same manufacture's paint, it's weathered differently, or there's been a batch difference, but usually I've just not found a match, whatever it looks like on the tin. IMO a slight mismatch stands out more than a complete contrast, hiding in plain sight.
alexnharvey

Post by alexnharvey »

Look out for cars that are a close match then buy the touch up.
Lights

Re: Touch up paint (solved)

Post by Lights »

Hi thank you all for your suggestions I visited a car body paint garage and they have given me the closest match which is a Toyota 8S5 greyish blue and gave me a pot to try. I have tried it and it’s the closest to the colour and great colour for filling in the chips etc.
GayUnicorn

Post by GayUnicorn »

Well done.
Glad your issue solved easily.
Lights

Post by Lights »

Thank you.