Grease drop out bolt?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Godzy89

Grease drop out bolt?

Post by Godzy89 »

When transporting my bike about i mostly take the front wheel off to get the bike into the car easily
To do this i remove the drop out bolt
My bike is the first 1 ive had with this type of fixing so do i ever put a bit of grease or other lube on the thread of the bolt or the fork and if so how often?

TIA for any replies
NATURAL ANKLING

Re: Grease drop out bolt?

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
I've not got one myself and I'd have to go looking to see what the construction is exactly, which model hub is it is it Shimano?
Generally you should never grease or lubricate threads unless the manual says too, that's the makers manual.
But there are many exceptions on a bicycle, because you're not gonna be to get the things apart are you, Like pedals and bottom brackets.
Also on motorcycles which generally have a mechanical means of locking the nut, These exceptions mean parts won't seize together if you use the motorcycle off road.
If Aluminium is involved I'll be very careful.
If it's a Shimano part then you will be able to look at the tech document on their website
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Can you add a photo what you're describing.

Thanks

Jonathan
Godzy89

Post by Godzy89 »

The bike is a Pinnacle Neon 2 (2021) and its the thru axle bolt

From the spec section of the Evans website for the bike - Fork: Full 6066 alloy fork with mudguard mounts. uses M12*P1.5-20L*125L thru-axle

I can post a pic tomorrow if still needed

Thanks for the replies
Stevek76

Post by Stevek76 »

Through axle threads I think.

I believe rockshox recommends a light grease on theirs and other manufacturers are similar. Helps to prevent galling, and also the axle seizing in place of course.
The contents of this post, unless otherwise stated, are opinions of the author and may actually be complete codswallop
Godzy89

Post by Godzy89 »

Thanks Steve
Appreciate the info 👍
alexnharvey

Post by alexnharvey »

Seen a few reports of them seizing and then proving very difficult to remove. I'd at least grease it and more likely use a suitable antisieze for aluminium unless there was a caution against doing so.