Campag compatibility

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
saddlesore

Campag compatibility

Post by saddlesore »

I have early 9 speed Ergo shifters (pointy hood type). I know they won't work with a later , post 2000, rear mech. But can I use an 8 speed rear mech and still operate all 9 cogs? Or do I have to find a specific early 9 speed mech? I'm after long cage if anyone has one.
I don't want to use any adaptors, and I'm not interested in Shimergo, so please don't suggest it.
drossall

Re: Campag compatibility

Post by drossall »

Yes, early 9 should work with 8, because the shift ratio (the amount of movement in the derailleur for a given amount of cable pulled by the Ergo) is the same. If it's of any interest, I also calculated that a Shiftmate 1 should convert between old and new 9. That's not an advertised combination, but it works for me. The basis is that you can tell from its promoted uses that the model 1 gears the shift by about 5%, which is also the difference between old and new Campag 9.
saddlesore

Post by saddlesore »

Thanks for the reply, both options look promising. Now to find a pair of Racing T mechs...
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

saddlesore wrote: 15 Jun 2021, 9:19am Now to find a pair of Racing T mechs...
Or Racing Triple which was for 8 speed, Racing T was for old style 9 speed (I think although Campag spares lists still show Racing Triple in 1999 for 9 speed). I reckon it was simply a rebranding because I have both and can detect no differences at all. Other grades of Campag also did long cage, e.g. Veloce, Mirage etc With all these old stle and lower grade (Record is different) it is easily possible to change the jockey cage between mechs, so if you find a wrecked Racing triple with a long cage you could take that cage and fit it to a Veloce parallelogram for example.
pq

Post by pq »

I don't know how widespread this intercompatibility is, but I fitted a chorus medium cage from around 2003 to a 2000 Record rear mech, both 10 speed. In that case Record was not different to Chorus, at least not in that respect. The chorus mech didn't cost much - unlike the Record they appear not to be especially collectable.
One link to your website is enough. G
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

Chorus and Record are assembled differently to the rest, and are not interchangeable with them. In the lower grade parts the jockey cage is held on by a circlip that can easily be sprung off. I did that with a couple of mechs some years ago. You can see the difference between the two styles clearly in the spare parts catalogues such as this from 1999 https://www.campagnolo.com/media/files/ ... part_B.pdf
NickJP

Post by NickJP »

You can also swap out the ratchet for a new one and make your Ergos either newer 9s or 10s compatible, depending on which ratchet you install. It's also worthwhile swapping the G springs if you do this, as they tend to wear out over time. I did this on some of the old pointy 9s Ergos when my original 9s RD cracked and I could only source a newer RD as replacement.

Have a look at the rebuild manual at http://www.yellowjersey.org/ergo1.html.