Gunk degreaser

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
eoi2621

Gunk degreaser

Post by eoi2621 »

I have a left over tin of this . Would it be wise/effective to use for a quick clean of my bike ? Brush on hose off
simonineaston

Re: Gunk degreaser

Post by simonineaston »

One of those great old smells - like Castrol R yadda yadda
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Gunk is very good indeed ............... but only as a degreaser, and not for washing a bike.
Take your chain off, and your sprockets, pour Gunk into a jar or something and drop your stuff into it, put a tight lid on it, and give it a good prolonged shaking.

Fish the bits out, and rinse them in hot soapy water and then hot fresh water. Reuse the Gunk.
Gunk is water dissolvable .......... but not cheap, though works beautifully.

Far better and far cheaper, is Screwfix No Nonsense degreaser. Mix it 50/50 with water.
Since being put onto this on this forum, Gunk isn't getting a look-in any more with me, despite being a long-standing fan of Gunk.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/no-nonsense- ... 5ltr/88668

You won't regret it.
Mick F. Cornwall
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

eoi2621 wrote: 16 Jun 2021, 12:49pm I have a left over tin of this . Would it be wise/effective to use for a quick clean of my bike ? Brush on hose off
(My emphasis
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

No.

Gunk is a degreaser mainly aimed at car engines and stuff.
Spray it or brush it on the engine/gearbox/mechanics and scrub it in, then wash it off.

Cleaning a bike generally, needs a bucket of hot soapy water and a brush.
Wash it off with a hose/bucket of clean water.

Chains/sprockets/transmission/greasy stuff is fine with Gunk so long as you remove the bits.
There's no way that Gunk should be used to clean a bike, as the Gunk will get into all the bearings and lubricated stuff and dissolve the inner lubrication.
Mick F. Cornwall
eoi2621

Post by eoi2621 »

thanks Is it worth buying Muc off cleaner or is washing up liquid and hot water just as good?
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

eoi2621 wrote: 16 Jun 2021, 3:24pmIs it worth buying Muc off cleaner or is washing up liquid and hot water just as good?
There's a lot of different Muc Off products.

The ones that use surfactants will typically contain less salts (including phosphates) than many washing up liquids. That's generally better for the environment. And if you don't wash it off fully it will be better for the bike.

Many people use a lot more surfactant than is needed for the job.

Jonathan