Brooks Cambium Saddle creaking

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Hubs

Brooks Cambium Saddle creaking

Post by Hubs »

After a number of years and miles, I started hearing a creak from somewhere, normally when there was pressure on the pedals, in any riding position.

I worked by way around the usual suspects - bars, headset, bottom bracket, pedals, seat post, and I finally tracked it down to the C17 cambium saddle - when the hammock compressed, it creaked.

There isn't a whole lot to adjust on these saddles, which is a part of their appeal. After making sure the star bolts were tight, I had run out of possible alternatives, until I realised the rails are inserted into a mount in the rear casting. A little lubrication into those mounting holes and - no more creaking.

Hope this helps someone who is frustrated by an infuriating creak..
Vetus Ossa

Re: Brooks Cambium Saddle creaking

Post by Vetus Ossa »

Mine creaked in the same place, as you say a smear of silicone grease in the area mentioned is a good fix.
Beauty will save the world.
gom

Re: Brooks Cambium Saddle creaking

Post by gom »

I’ve had problems with Brooks leather (B17) creaking where the leather flexes at the end of the metal “horseshoe” holding the rear of the saddle. Again a little grease or vaseline to stop. I’ve also pushed a small slip of paper between the metal and leather which worked as well. Useful for diagnosis.