Disc Brake Thermal Imaging

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Mr Evil

Disc Brake Thermal Imaging

Post by Mr Evil »

Today I attached an infra-red camera to my bike, pointed it at my front brake, then rode down a hill, deliberately dragging the brake the whole way.

I can't see a way to embed a video, so here's a link. https://mrevil.asvachin.com/cycling/bra ... 13_A-1.m4v It's hosted over my home internet connection, so it might be slow if too many people view it at once.

Notable things include:
  • The camera unfortunately doesn't embed the scale in the video, and it auto-ranges to the highest and lowest temps in each frame, so you can't tell what the absolute temperature is.
  • Occasional pauses in the video are where the camera recalibrates itself.
  • Different materials radiate heat differently, so you can't directly compare the apparent temperature of different parts of the bike.
  • At the start, I had been standing at the top of the hill for a minute, which was long enough for one side of the tyre to absorb heat from the road. This is why one side appears slightly orange as I start the descent.
  • I start dragging the brake at around 0m40s.
  • By about 1m00s the rotor is much hotter than anything else in the picture.
  • I come to a complete halt right at the end of the video.
In case anyone can't see it, here are pictures from the start and end:

And here's a second video from a short while later showing much quicker heating from hard braking to stop at a junction. At the start, you can see that the caliper has warmed up a bit compared to the first video: https://mrevil.asvachin.com/cycling/bra ... 13_A-2.m4v

The brake caliper is a Hope RX4, and the rotor is a Shimano RT81, which is one of the ones with an aluminium core.
Bmblbzzz

Re: Disc Brake Thermal Imaging

Post by Bmblbzzz »

This is probably evidence for what we're always told: don't drag your brakes!

It's also pretty and has art potential. :wink:
Jdsk

Re: Disc Brake Thermal Imaging

Post by Jdsk »

Linked video works fine.

Interesting.

Jonathan