Saddle width - sore butt!

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
L+1

Re: Saddle width - sore butt!

Post by L+1 »

Could it be that the quality of the foam inside the saddle has deteriorated, changing the degree of support it provides?
2 years seems a bit meagre for a branded saddle - but maybe if the bike is stored in a warm place or sunlight……?
If the synthetic cover fabric still looks good, it might not be obvious that the interior has aged
irc

Post by irc »

Everyone different etc. What works for me is a saddle that is not rock hard like a Brooks but has slight padding like the Spesh. Bodyfit. In my case I needed the 170 width to match my sit bones. The saddle is set level with the bars and almost dead flat. Perhaps a tiny bit pointing up.

Or rather the rear of the saddle dead flat and the front a fraction up.

I have the same model saddle on 4 bikes.

Re width - I have read but can't personally confirm that riding position affects correct saddle width. A forward leaning bars below saddle posture needs a narrower saddle than a more upright position. Something to do with the anatomy.

PS
"The other thing is I've had to move my saddle back as far as it will go, to accommodate a Topeak Aero Wedge (clippy version) on the saddle rails,"

The correct fore/aft saddle position should take precedence over the fitting of accessories.
horizon

Post by horizon »

irc wrote: 23 Jun 2021, 12:07am
PS
"The other thing is I've had to move my saddle back as far as it will go, to accommodate a Topeak Aero Wedge (clippy version) on the saddle rails,"

The correct fore/aft saddle position should take precedence over the fitting of accessories.
IMV this is like getting a new saddle if the sitting position is very different.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

irc wrote: 23 Jun 2021, 12:07am Re width - I have read but can't personally confirm that riding position affects correct saddle width. A forward leaning bars below saddle posture needs a narrower saddle than a more upright position. Something to do with the anatomy.
Yes, it’s because we don’t entirely sit on our sit bones.
Paulatic wrote: 20 Nov 2020, 9:43am For years I thought I favoured fairly flat topped saddle and avoided trying anything remotely rounded. The light from Damascus came from reading Steve Hogg and his explanation of sit bones and more importantly your Ischiopubic ramus.
https://www.stevehoggbikefitting.com/bi ... bout-smps/
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Darkman

Post by Darkman »

Took the rear reflector off, allowing me to still have a saddle bag and move the saddle forwards an inch or so on the rails (bag hides the rear reflector anyway and I never ride at night). Also had to adjust the height up half an inch or so mid-ride as the more forward position didn't feel "right" on the legs.

Did a 28 mile ride - not pain-free but significantly better! One thing I did notice is that I have a tendency to slide forward slightly (only because I was paying special attention to it today) so next time out I might adjust the saddle to be a few degrees nose-up instead of level. I guess with the saddle pushed back as it was, I would have had the tendency to slide even further forward onto the narrowest part of the saddle.

I'm still toying with getting something a little firmer.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Progress!

I'd keep playing with those adjustments.

But can you take the saddle bag out of the equation completely... with a support extension, or a different type of bag somewhere?

Jonathan
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Jdsk wrote: 23 Jun 2021, 2:19pm Progress!
Excellent! :D
Mick F. Cornwall
Darkman

Post by Darkman »

Jdsk wrote: 23 Jun 2021, 2:19pm Progress!

I'd keep playing with those adjustments.

But can you take the saddle bag out of the equation completely... with a support extension, or a different type of bag somewhere?

Jonathan
I really don't need to ditch the saddle bag! The problem really, was the rear reflector - it sticks out stupidly far from the seat post, and there was literally only one position I could get the saddle bag, saddle and reflector to fit on all at once. Removing it gave me pretty much the full range of adjustment - I moved it more centrally on the rails and there's still a good inch I could move it further forward if I needed to, but it kind of felt in the right place today. As I say I think really it's just the tilt needs a minor tweak now (and possibly the saddle height up a half inch or so more but I couldn't be bothered getting off and faffing about with it). Also will look into an alternative reflector because, you know... law and stuff. I don't cycle when it's getting dark but we're only ever an unforeseen mishap away.

Anhwho, I'll get there with the saddle tweakage! Thanks for all the replies.