Loosening Wellgo C235 pedals

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
belgiangoth

Loosening Wellgo C235 pedals

Post by belgiangoth »

New bike for my wife came with these pedals
https://en.wellgopedal.com/products_detail_1_508.htm
(but in black)
it is not apparent how to loosen them so that they can spin freely. Currently they don't spin at all, rock solid.
If I had a baby elephant, I would put it on a recumbent trike so that it would become invisible.
Eyebrox

Re: Loosening Wellgo C235 pedals

Post by Eyebrox »

Strange. Could be seized if the greased internals were allowed to dry out after a long time in storage. Were they attached to bike when you got it? Try tapping each side with a rubber mallet to see if you can release them. Keep them on the cranks to give you purchase and remove them if you do manage to free them. Then strip down and grease the axle and bearings.
geomannie

Post by geomannie »

Can't think of any reason why new pedals will not turn. I suggest contacting the retailer in the first instance before doing anything drastic like stripping them. That would invalidate any guarantee.
geomannie
belgiangoth

Post by belgiangoth »

The model has sealed "polymer bearings", when you take the dust cap off there is no option for a wrench or allen key to loosen it. I have contacted the shop about them.
On one hand, who worries about the pedals on their bike? on the other, why can't you get working pedals on a new bike?
If I had a baby elephant, I would put it on a recumbent trike so that it would become invisible.
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Currently they don't spin at all, rock solid.
As you describe it, not right! Back to shop.
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
gregoryoftours

Post by gregoryoftours »

Rock solid as in you can't even turn them? Or they just are stiff and won't spin? The latter is not uncommon for cheap pedals and they will probably free up quite quickly when they start to get used.

Any replacements might well be just the same. You can help them along with a tiny squirt of spray lube left to soak in where the axle goes into the pedal body on the inner side of the pedals.

New bikes rarely come with expensive/good pedals (or any pedals) because nobody chooses a bike for them. As with saddles pedals are a personal thing and many people swap them out for their favoured type straight away.

Why add the cost and make the bike less competitive? It does mean that bikes generally come with crap pedals though.
PT1029

Post by PT1029 »

I'm not familiar with these pedals, but if they have "sealed polymer bearings", be careful what lubricant you (might) spray in, oil based lube may well cause the polymer to swell.
But as other have said, back to the shop first.