Flat Pedals vs Clipless

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Airsporter1st

Re: Flat Pedals vs Clipless

Post by Airsporter1st »

Don’t forget that there are two types of SPD cleat. I use the ‘multi’ which, as the designation suggests, allow you to unclip in a variety of directions. Much less chance of falling over whilst still clipped in.
Darkman

Post by Darkman »

Airsporter1st wrote: 13 Jul 2021, 9:47am Don’t forget that there are two types of SPD cleat. I use the ‘multi’ which, as the designation suggests, allow you to unclip in a variety of directions. Much less chance of falling over whilst still clipped in.
Can you get any additional power on the upstroke, or does your foot just pull out?

This is why I had so many offs with the Look Keos - if I go off balance the reflex action is to lift my foot up. Once I've done that, there's no way on God's glorious, hard earth that the pedal will release me.
rogerzilla

Post by rogerzilla »

I rode unclipped with flats for years. Toeclips, if fastened tightly enough to make a real difference, are pretty dangerous since you have to flick the buckle open by hand, and will therefore keel over in any emergency stop.

Then I bought clipless pedals and never looked back. You can climb short hills FAR faster, being able to pull as well as push. On long hills you are limited by aerobic considerations but you can still spread the load over more muscles. They also make riding fixed gear possible - being unclipped on a fixie is terrifying.

I find it really hard to ride without being attached to the pedals now.
Darkman

Post by Darkman »

Another Q on the multirelease issue - are there any Look multirelease cleats? I can only seem to find Shimano ones but I quite fancy the Look X-Track Rage pedals and I'm guessing there's no cross-brand compatibility.
Stevek76

Post by Stevek76 »

Darkman wrote: 13 Jul 2021, 4:07pm Can you get any additional power on the upstroke, or does your foot just pull out?
Depends on how high you set the tension in the pedal and how disciplined your leg movements are. I.e. force to unclip drops the further away from vertical.

Look's site says xtrack is spd compatible, look offer the same lateral only and multi release cleats as Shimano.
The contents of this post, unless otherwise stated, are opinions of the author and may actually be complete codswallop
NickJP

Post by NickJP »

I notice that Lachlan Morton rode somewhere around half of his Alt Tour (https://alttour.ef.com/, 5500km in 18 days) on Birkenstock sandals and flat pedals, after getting knee and foot problems.

Marcus Aurelius

Post by Marcus Aurelius »

Darkman wrote: 13 Jul 2021, 4:07pm
Airsporter1st wrote: 13 Jul 2021, 9:47am Don’t forget that there are two types of SPD cleat. I use the ‘multi’ which, as the designation suggests, allow you to unclip in a variety of directions. Much less chance of falling over whilst still clipped in.
Can you get any additional power on the upstroke, or does your foot just pull out?

This is why I had so many offs with the Look Keos - if I go off balance the reflex action is to lift my foot up. Once I've done that, there's no way on God's glorious, hard earth that the pedal will release me.
I’ve used multi release SPD on my hybrids for years. They won’t release just by pulling up, so you can still accelerate your stroke from bottom dead centre to top dead centre, without a release. If you want to ‘step out’ of the pedal, it involves a deliberate foot flex at the ball of your foot.
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

After reading this thread the Gearoid post over a year ago and thinking about my own situation re: foot problems, years of hotfoot trying all the combinations of foot position, pedals and shoes , I decided to give Gearoid’s suggestion ago. Its been a complete revelation, buying a set of Ethirteen pedals, which have a large foot bed, plus a pair of O’Rourke MTB shoes , combining these with an insole with a metatarsal button. And the fact I can readjust my position throughout the ride, I appear to be pain free.
There is no loss of speed or climbing ability using MTB flats compared to SPD. And certainly on longer rides I am not dealing with discomfort, or having to stop. If I want to go to the shops I can just hop on the bike in what ever shoes I am wearing. I do notice even after 3 months I still kick my heel outward when anticipating a stop. All these years of wearing first toe clips and nail on cleats through the last 20 or so year years of spuds
NUKe

Post by cyclop »

I use both.Mtb flats,pin type,on a Mercian shopper/short run-walk outings.Spd of various types for road bikes,single sided-flat for my mtb.I reckon the variety help prevents foot/knee problems arising from working these joints in only one way .The only problem I have is the occasional "hot foot" on very warm days,cured by a cold dunk in a stream.
peetee

Post by peetee »

I have ridden the whole of my cycling life, 33 years, with my foot attached to the pedals. First with clips and straps then clipless pedals.
I wouldn’t feel safe without them - and I have tried occasionally when hiring bikes or test riding repaired machines belonging to customers.
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
Manc33

Post by Manc33 »

I want a bike I can just get on and ride. I don't want to have to buy special shoes and faff about twisting my foot on and off. It takes some of the fun away. As for the efficiency I don't care or need to, I got a motor on it. :lol: If I didn't have a motor and took cycling a bit more seriously, I would certainly try clips, simply because you can pull the crank as well as push it. As for traffic, that's a different argument and maybe flats are for the best.

So many flat pedals are garbage though. The Wellgo ones I have got have been bombproof and they were only about £12. The bearings in them are cup and cone I think, which is why they last, compared to the tiny (about 1cm wide) cartridge bearings they put in thin pedals. Thin pedals usually means small bearings - in the exact place you'd want to avoid small bearings. I think the best flat pedals are probably something like the Saint ones, but for all I know they also might have those tiny bearings, it's just they are decent enough that maybe those ones last, but they aren't cheap pedals: about £50 used.

These have been perfect for me and still spin freely with no play after more than 2,000 miles. No black ones left though. Look at the price of them, an absolute bargain for what you get. Oh they weigh a ton and are too thick, but then you're getting those bigger bearings. :)
We'll always be together, together on electric bikes.